Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data/ethernet wiring - who do i need to talk to?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Hopefully I'm not breaking the rules by asking...... PM responses would be great if needed.

Basically, I want to get a small bit of ethernet cabling done in the house. I have two left hands when it comes to anything DIY related, so need to get some advice as to best way to go about it.

Is this typical electrician work, or should I be asking a different professional?.

Much obliged!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Normally an electrician would do it when wiring a premises, but as it is not powered it could be done by anyone with a drill and a little care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Incidentally, OP, are you aware you can run ethernet through existing electrical points without additional cabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Hey thanks for responses. Yes am aware of powerline networking, but from what I read its speed is somewhat limited, and given I've got 100mg broadband from UPC, I'm not sure it will cut it (but happy to be told otherwise).

As for drilling a hole and poking cable through, that sounds easy enough, but add in different floors and rooms of a house, and it feels a bit more complex..... :D

Advertisement