Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio/Ear phones

• 14-09-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

I ve a sansa clip i use when out running but the volume is quite low even when on max (plus the signal comes and goes) and once i get on the bike i cant hear any songs/discussion.

Id like to get something that i could listen to (in one ear) for long cycles. Any recommendations? Something with decent volume and signal?

Any recommendations for suitable/decent earphones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Wha :confused: Speak in my left ear, Sonny.

Sorry, couldn't resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I use the iPhone headset, I've found them decent, but the rubber does tend to go on them from sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I ve a sansa clip i use when out running but the volume is quite low even when on max (plus the signal comes and goes) and once i get on the bike i cant hear any songs/discussion.

Id like to get something that i could listen to (in one ear) for long cycles. Any recommendations? Something with decent volume and signal?

Any recommendations for suitable/decent earphones?

sansa clip is set low deliberatly

you can override the setting to get double the volume

Here you go:
    * Settings > System Settings > Reset Factory Settings
    * Choose your language
    * Choose “Rest of the World” as region
    * You will then have an additional option in the settings menu to increase the volume \m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The Sansa Clip conforms to new european health and safety regs about maximum volume for audio devices - it's stupidly feeble but luckily there's a really easy way around it.

If you reset to factory setting and choose "rest of world" or "America" instead of Europe then you'll get about double the volume coming out of the ear buds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Damn. Who'd have thought I'd be beaten to the punch on such esoteric info?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The volume limit as said above.

What earphones are you using? You need in in ear monitors (IEM) to block out the sound. Ear buds will be useless. Though personally I don't think its a great idea on the bike. Not that you can hear much behind you on a bike even without earphones.

The radio reception on the Clip+ I have have is brutal. You might find your phone phone is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thats great lads, will try that when i get home and see how i get on.

Will upgrade the ear phones too as using fairly bog standard ones.

Hopefully this should sort the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My Sennheiser CS300 II buds do a nice job of cutting noise down without making me deaf*.

* The music does a great job in that department... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

I use the 1 bud classic version of these on the bike, http://www.scansound.com/1-Bud.htm#1BUDEarphone
    really happy with them, clear stereo sound without feeling cut off from whats going on around you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I'm surprised people wear headphones/earphones while cycling. Personally i find them uncomfortable so i don't bother.
    Many a driver has said to me though that they think it's dangerous as the cyclist cannot hear what is going around them and it's just asking for trouble, i assured them that you can hear what is going on as the traffic noise is so loud there is no fear that not hearing traffic is an issue.
    But you can see that given the chance they will jump at the chance to blame the cyclists earphones in the unfortunate event of a collision occuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

The ones I use are from JVC, called Marshmallow, link below. These are claimed to stay in the ear for longer, and they do, more often than not, but of course, they're not foolproof. Sound reproduction is good, also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HA-FX67-RE-Marshmallow-Headphones-Brushed-Aluminium/dp/B0035J8C4O/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316028206&sr=1-28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'm surprised people wear headphones/earphones while cycling. Personally i find them uncomfortable so i don't bother.
    Many a driver has said to me though that they think it's dangerous as the cyclist cannot hear what is going around them and it's just asking for trouble, i assured them that you can hear what is going on as the traffic noise is so loud there is no fear that not hearing traffic is an issue.
    But you can see that given the chance they will jump at the chance to blame the cyclists earphones in the unfortunate event of a collision occuring.
    please lets keep one thread on topic and not go over old ground. its a personal choice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

I cant cycle with headphones because a) I get paranoid that im muttering about motorists too loud and b) I feel detached from whats going on around me. - is there a headphone that has only 1 ear so that you dont loose half the percussion, vocals or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

aquanaut, there is. check out the link I posted earlier. with the bud in your left ear you still have good awareness of traffic coming from behind. the sound quality is great IMO, but dont know if they stop you muttering:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

iercepa wrote: »
    aquanaut, there is. check out the link I posted earlier. with the bud in your left ear you still have good awareness of traffic coming from behind. the sound quality is great IMO, but dont know if they stop you muttering:)

Nice one, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

aquanaut wrote: »
    is there a headphone that has only 1 ear so that you dont loose half the percussion, vocals or whatever

Surely a bad idea with regards to the effect it would have on balance...? :confused:

Your balance that is, not the musics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

These are by far the best sports ear phones I've ever had (pretty long list at this stage)
    As with anything nice though, they come at a price. I got them for Christmas last year and my mam said they cost €70+ where ever she bought them. Could have come down since then all the same.

It mentions in the review that they don't keep noise out too well but I haven't found this a problem.

Also comes with a nice strong pouch for your ear phones/phone/mp3 player etc.

Advertisement