Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda town. So many vacant shops.

Options
  • 14-09-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Been to Drogheda for the first time in a couple of years. At 10.30 in the morning I still couldn't get parking along the main street even though the place looked empty.

Every second shop was closed it seemed or gone out of business. I can tell you I'd be upset if it was the town I was living in. Whoever runs the show over there needs a kick in the arse.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What would you propose? If a shop goes out of business it's rarely through choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Isn't that a question people should be asking the people who run the town. Town councillors and officials? It seems to me that if half the town is empty it should only need half as many people to run it.

I don't exactly know how to fix the problems, glad I'm not the one responsible for fixing them so.

Why do half the shops being empty suddenly mean the population/houses have halved?

There's a recession on and many landlords who lease business premesis are refusing to budge on rent and so forcing people out of business.

It's a private rental market and businesses so there's nothing councillors or anyone else can do for either force lower rent charges or force people to spend more money in the shops.

It's not as simple as flicking a switch - while councillors could maybe do more to attract people to the town in the first place there's no one in particular needs a 'kick up the arse'. The entire world and it's banks need a kick up the arse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its those damn tolls, obviously.

(*Beating a dead horse*)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

• Advertisement

Mr. Muddle wrote: »

You know, fair play to the people getting involved. At the same time, I think it's slightly annoying that its taken the benefit of getting on TV to make people do something. I also know (since I know someone who has had contact with the people behind the show) that they aren't finding it incredible easy to get some people to do some of the specific angles they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

M1 & Donore Rd. Business Parks, Tesco Extra & Scotch Hall have all helped in killing West St!!
    like someone mentioned on here before. It should cease to exst as a trading centre and re-intevent itself as an entertainment quarter with bars, cafe's, etc...
    They could start with "Re-pedestrianising" it!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I also know (since I know someone who has had contact with the people behind the show) that they aren't finding it incredible easy to get some people to do some of the specific angles they want.

Like Kurt Angles?
    :pac:

But seriously, what sort of angles do they want?

CMpunked wrote: »
    Like Kurt Angles?
    :pac:

But seriously, what sort of angles do they want?

To be honest, I don't want to say much more than I have, based on not wanting to get someone in trouble. To be cryptic, they tried to get in contact with a certain group of people in Drogheda to discuss how tough life was for them, only to find few of them wanted to go public with their problems since many are "screwing around" with the system <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Why do half the shops being empty suddenly mean the population/houses have halved?

There's a recession on and many landlords who lease business premesis are refusing to budge on rent and so forcing people out of business.

It's a private rental market and businesses so there's nothing councillors or anyone else can do for either force lower rent charges or force people to spend more money in the shops.

It's not as simple as flicking a switch - while councillors could maybe do more to attract people to the town in the first place there's no one in particular needs a 'kick up the arse'. The entire world and it's banks need a kick up the arse.

Disagree totally. It is up to someone to bring about change. Lying down or rolling over isn't going to help anything.

Many vacant shopfronts around thde country have been ''donated'' (when not being rented) to small groups like artists and outreach volunteers until a new tenant is found.

Droghedas main street is a destination for many people and should be prioritised and treated with respect. The facebook page idea is one way the councillors and such could help. Improvinng access is another. Ten minutes down the pub with the mates could probably generate and good few ideas. What do these people have to be doing all day only thinking about this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement

You're ignoring the fact that private landlords OWN these shops and are the ones who are unwilling to budge on rent - what makes you think they will suddenly let someone use the place for free?

There are landlords of commercial buildings actually increasing rent in line with original contracts and agreements drawn up pre-recession that are refusing to budge on those contracts thus forcing an already cash-strapped tenant to pay more, or go bust.

An example of where councillors are powerless against this was the Smithfield Cinema in Dublin. The owners of the complex demanded a doubling of rent from €100,000 to €200,000 and the cinema was forced to close. Intervention from the Dublin Corporation and even the Minister for Arts was fruitless because it was a private contract between landlord and tenant - nothing to do with the authorities.

It's very easy for you sit there and point the finger at councilors and say "10 mins down the pub with the mates could probably generate a few ideas" when here we are, a day after I asked what you would suggest and I've yet to see anything.

So I ask again, what would you have your councillors do? If you want to wait til the weekend until you and your mates can get the pub and get back to me that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They seemed to to be refitting the old xtravision shop or what ever it was after that, next to tesco on west st. when I passed it yesterday.

Any ideas whats going in there? Good luck to them what ever it is, it's on one of the better spots on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Not sure but when I was on the town on Saturday Fergal Quinn and a load of politicians were outside with tv cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Antibac wrote: »
    Not sure but when I was on the town on Saturday Fergal Quinn and a load of politicians were outside with tv cameras.

Ah then no doubt it's for that TV show thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many vacant shopfronts around thde country have been ''donated'' (when not being rented) to small groups like artists and outreach volunteers until a new tenant is found.
    Yes, that happens in many towns when the rot sets in. I always think they look so desperate and gives out signals of hopelessness, as the shops will obviously not be rented and re-opened if a charity or art group et al are now using it.
    Droghedas main street is a destination for many people
    Obviously not for that many people willing to spend money there or it would be in a better state. It's like all the crying when local shops, Post offices etc close and we hear of the great loss to the community who didn't use them enough for them to be viable.

In addition the council can't make private property owners give out their premises for free if they don't wish to, nor retailers to open non-profit making businesses. It's great that so many already support charities by providing premises.
    Ten minutes down the pub with the mates could probably generate and good few ideas.
    Mates down the pub will have great ideas, I'm sure, but practicality and reality rarely take part in such discussions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well since West St is the centre of the topic, there is some good news in that Esquires Coffee will be opening a new unit there next month.

Its funny actually, when I first moved up this way back in 2004, I used to have no problem going to West St for a bit of shopping as spaces would free up quick enough and you could double park without causing an obstruction while you waited. It was the roadworks and lack of parking that killed it for me, as I actually don't rate Scotch Hall much as a shopping centre but couldn't face going near West St in a car if I needed to get a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

We got a leaflet in the door looking for volunteers for the tv show and the base is the old xtravision beside tesco

Advertisement