Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle per pin

• 14-09-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Just wondering what would be the max number of cows I could put into the pins in the slated house. The slats are 12ft and the width is the standard bay width. There are cubicles in each pin. Last year I had 6 in each pin and it looked like they had plenty of room. This year I was thinking of putting in 7 per pin. The cows are pretty big ~700 - 800kg I suppose. As the cows start calving they are removed from the slats for a few weeks so if things work out this year I will have all 5 calving pins filled for a few weeks. This would mean that there wouldn't always have to be 7 cows per pin, but between Nov and Jan it will be a full house. Is this to many? or has anyone ever put more than 7 into a pin?

I was also wondering the same about weanlings. I am going to keep all the heifer weanlings and buy a few more to fill the pin. I would like to have 10 in total but maybe this is to many for one pin. I know they wont all be able to eat at the one time but I wont be feeding meal, so from this point of view it wont matter.

I would like to know what others do with the same set up as I have.

Advertisement