Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart TV in Ireland: is worth it?

• 14-09-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on the market for a new television. My ten year old Sony, with the huge back, has started to hum, hiss, cough and take ages to power on, so I've decided that we need one.

Naturally, it's going to be a LCD, LED or Plasma, and there's an abundance of options from Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony and the like: but there is some difference in price from a similar spec. and sized flat screen with and without the "Smart TV" functionalities. I'm a tech user, and I'd see some promise with the functions, but the real question is: in Ireland, with our content/restrictions as they are, is the Smart TV really worth the extra hundred or two? Should I really shell out the money for something that is nice, but not entirely worth it?

We all get cheesed by the lack of iPlayer, Hulu, NetFlix, LoveFilm and the like: Ireland is always plagued by lack of licencing rights for media, which other countries enjoy and take for granted, so we're limited in what we can use on the Smart TV in comparison with other nations. We all see what things like XBMC and Boxee offer (and with some tweaking we can get into geoblocked material).

Has anyone had a similar experience, or are they now at this point?
    Money is tight, and for less you could get nearly as good a TV without the Smart functions. Yeah, built in Wi-Fi to get media from your laptop or hard-drive would be nice, but there must be a cheaper way around it?

Oh, and if you've got a telly recommendation, on either side of the debate, care to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Ive exactly the same query, so will be interested in responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

No takers, it seems.
    Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i had the same query.
    as far as i know things that work on Samsung smart tv or sony bravia internet tv or LG internet tv are below:
    Youtube on all
    TV3 on sony
    facebook
    twitter
    weather app
    dailymotion on samsung i guess
    i guess thats it. not much to look at.
    make sure your router is close to your tv for running the cable if wifi is not available on your tv. wifi ready are no good as the dongle costs are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a 2009 Philips 8404 LCD TV and it has a feature called NetTV but it's a heap of crap and now that Philips is getting out of the TV business I'm not too hopeful that it will ever be updated or have new services added.

So when I was buying a Blu-Ray player I discovered that the new 2011 Sony players have the same functionality and that is what I now use for Smart TV. I have a Sony S480 connected to my UPC BB router and can access Sky News bulletins, TV3 highlights, YouTube and a few other channels. The next model up the range (S580) has the same features but supports Wi-Fi in case your router isn't close to the Blu-Ray player.

Given that a Blu-Ray player costs less than a big TV, you might be as well off aiming your research at the Blu-Ray player marketplace and then buying whatever TV ticks the boxes for screen size, picture quality and value for money.

Having the Blu-Ray player connected to the Internet means that when I play an audio CD it gets the album cover and track names from the Internet, otherwise you'd be looking at a list of 'track 1, track 2, track 3 etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

When I was shopping around for a new TV, I didn't bother with the Smart TV, I just spent my money on getting the best possible picture for my buck.

If I need to go online using the TV for the RTE PLayer, 4OD and Streaming movies, I just connect my laptop to the HDMI socket at side of the Telly. If you Laptop/Tablet has a HDMI socket, I really wouldn't bother. HDMI cable you can get for a €5 is better than spending another Hundred or two on a smart TV. I have a HDMI cable left plugged into the side of the telly, and tucked neatly away when not in use. I bought this wireless keyboard to control the laptop from my couch. It wasn't really required, but it was a nice little addition.

My Samsung has a media player built in with a USB socket so Wireless streaming isn't an Issue, I just connect my 1TB SeaGate Freeagent Go inside the side of the Telly and I'm off. IT's powered of the USB so no need for an extra cable for power, very neat & tidy.

Facebook & Twitter on Tellys is rubbish, imagne tpying on your remote and not having a mouse to direct the curser, just stick with your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you can get a smart tv go for it...pretty good and the Samsung ones come with a built in DNLA stream so you can stream movies from your NAS etc...
    There's alway some great music channels on them as well as some exercise channels..my mate has one and himself and his gf use the exercise channel for their yoga/pilates most mornings..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

what are the options available from Samsung smart tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr Fabulous

Thanks for this info all- I had my heart broken yesterday sepnding hours in DID and Currys looking at SMART TV's- In fairness I am practically a luddite but the consensus seems to be and please correct me if I am wrong -

not worth the extra cost due to geographic restrictions on the ability to get the cool content

A decent Blu ray will give you the same access for a fraction of the price.

Is there anybody out there that can argue in favour of the SMART TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Thanks for this info all- I had my heart broken yesterday sepnding hours in DID and Currys looking at SMART TV's- In fairness I am practically a luddite but the consensus seems to be and please correct me if I am wrong -

not worth the extra cost due to geographic restrictions on the ability to get the cool content

A decent Blu ray will give you the same access for a fraction of the price.

Is there anybody out there that can argue in favour of the SMART TV?

I`m also interested in the smart TV area, don`t really know to much about them but they seem to be a mix of having the functions of a screen play, streaming things, some social apps and of course wireless internet, with web browsers in some of them.

I`m all for the LED side of TV`s, LCD is great but there is a huge difference between the two.

When you where in the shops man, how did they sell the TV to you, on what features??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

I am considering buying a 40" Samsung LED Series 7000 Smart TV:
    http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40D7000LUXXU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

Has anyone got feedback on this TV (positive/negative)?

My main concern is Samsung only provide a 12 months warranty. Is it safe to assume that Samsung are a reliable brand and on the balance of probability I should not experience problems with this set? Or would it be advisable purchase any extended warranty the retailers offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40D7000LUXXU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

My main concern is Samsung only provide a 12 months warranty. Is it safe to assume that Samsung are a reliable brand and on the balance of probability I should not experience problems with this set? Or would it be advisable purchase any extended warranty the retailers offer?

I have two Samsung TVs, series 6 that I bought about 2 years ago and a series 4 just bought about 3 Weeks ago.
    I haven't had any problems with the serious 6, so that's why I got the second Samsung.
    I believe with anything that's over €500, you should go for the warranty you may pay a bit extra, but it won't be a much as a new TV.

Samsung are a good TV, I'd choose them over any other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

thats disgraceful a company like samsung only give a 12month warranty on such an expensive product, boycott them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

thats disgraceful a company like samsung only give a 12month warranty on such an expensive product, boycott them.....

Thanks TT, a boycott it is. Do you think a Day of Rage too would be a bit over the top?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

Thanks TT, a boycott it is. Do you think a Day of Rage too would be a bit over the top?

lets go for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

If I were in the market for new telly I'd go with the D7000. Reviews have been very positive (links below). Regarding Warranty - that's down the deal you strike with the re-seller not the manufacturer - out of the box the standard is one year (they all are as far as I know). Unlike our beloved old CRTs which lasted 20+ years, with developments (and built in obsolescence) you might expect 5 years use on the basis these units will be centre of your universe if you believe the hype. Anyhoos - haggle with reseller to get your 3 or 5 year warranty.

http://www.avforums.com/review/Samsung-D7000-(UE-40D7000)-3D-LED-LCD-Television-Review.html

Lots more telly reviewed on site above. Other good site for tv/monitor reviews.. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

legrand wrote: »
    If I were in the market for new telly I'd go with the D7000. Reviews have been very positive (links below). Regarding Warranty - that's down the deal you strike with the re-seller not the manufacturer - out of the box the standard is one year (they all are as far as I know). Unlike our beloved old CRTs which lasted 20+ years, with developments (and built in obsolescence) you might expect 5 years use on the basis these units will be centre of your universe if you believe the hype. Anyhoos - haggle with reseller to get your 3 or 5 year warranty.

http://www.avforums.com/review/Samsung-D7000-(UE-40D7000)-3D-LED-LCD-Television-Review.html

Lots more telly reviewed on site above. Other good site for tv/monitor reviews.. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/
    Panasonic offer 5 year warranty. Not many others do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

Reagarding Smart, most tv's have a restricted smart (it will only let you into apps that the manufacture provides). To get the best out of smart you need a full web browser. These are really only available in the 3d tv's (full smart isn't available from blue-rays either). It is well worth spending that little extra to get the full browser.

You will also get DNLA where you can stream from your laptop (no need to hook up with hdmi). Also the LG's and Samsung let you control your smart tv from smart phone/iphone/ipad for free, so no need to use your remote to type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

Nope, you wont get web browser with it. you will get the apps etc but it'll be limited to whatever LG give you. bbc iplayer also wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Philips vs Samsung LED TV

Hi all,

Apologies for slight hijack of thread, similar query regarding brands...

I'm looking for some opinions please on a LED TV, either Philips or Samsung.

With the budget etc, I'm now looking at either a 32" LED Samsung or 32" LED Philips.

Both are the same price. The Samsung is a Smart TV, although that's not such a big issue, as I would hope to go down the road of a HTPC (longerterm!) But do I understand I may be able to stream films from a separate HD/PC with the Samsung?

Different sales people in the stores seem to have different sales pitches, although a common comment was the 2 year guarantee with the Philips, along with better sound. But am I correct in thinking that Philips are getting out of TV market? So maybe sales guy was trying to get rid of older stock?

I can find quite a few reviews on the Samsung, and they are favourable, but there are very few on the Philips either way.

It will used for TV mainly rather than a monitor for games, but will be used also for films, DVD / BluRay. The new TV is more of an update for a working, but dated TV, rather than needing specific features.

Any thoughts or pointers on the brands would be welcome.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

1013 wrote: »
    Different sales people in the stores seem to have different sales pitches, although a common comment was the 2 year guarantee with the Philips, along with better sound. But am I correct in thinking that Philips are getting out of TV market? So maybe sales guy was trying to get rid of older stock?

I can find quite a few reviews on the Samsung, and they are favourable, but there are very few on the Philips either way.

I have a 42" Philips LCD TV which I bought in 2009 and I'm very happy with it, the five year guarantee swung it for me. LG and Samsung were the others on the short list.

However since then Philips have announced that they are getting out of the TV market which effectively means no more s/w upgrades so if I was you I'd go with the Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Thanks coylemj for the info.

Unfortunately, I didn't see your post until I had bought the...... Philips.

It only lasted a week though before giving up. I went back to the shop, and they did eventually offer a refund. I would have gone for the Samsung instead, but again they were very keen to push the Philips, as having better sound and picture.

Anyway, the Samsung price has increased, so I left with my refund, and will have a look online.

Is it safe to assume that a TV with the same model number and which is listed on the Saorview site will work with Saorview without a STB, even if bought in the North?

The best price I can find is online from Currys, with next day (local) delivery for £4.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chipey83

I in a good area in Ireland for broadband in limerick city near to the old dell factory and my led smart tv is top notch because im near the fiber optic ring and cant complain but in my girls place in county cork not worth it stay away cos with old DSL broadband **** not worth it cos if your Ethernet cable is kind of slow do not even try it wireless with your tv piss poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Updated muzu music app on the Samsung smart tvs (es model) is very slick, well worth taking a look.

Advertisement