Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Halligan TD

• 14-09-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just tore the Ceann Comhairle a new one in Dail Eireann.

Go get 'em John!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What on?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭JOHNFRANCE

New rules. Think they were allowing him 1 minute and 10 seconds to debate the TalkTalk/jobs issue.

CC called his name. John refused to sit down. 'Hon John!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Any audio/video link?

On RTE website.

He's just been suspended!!! Jesus Christ. Some country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

"Suspended until 4:15pm" and now what?

Video is now back.

And so is audio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Matt Cooper playing the audio right now on Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Another PR stunt from John. A great help he is to talk talk workers and the other 15000 unemployed in Waterford. What a waste.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

JOHNFRANCE wrote: »
    Just tore the Ceann Comhairle a new one in Dail Eireann.

Go get 'em John!

Whats tore mean :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

MoodRacer wrote: »
    Another PR stunt from John. A great help he is to talk talk workers and the other 15000 unemployed in Waterford. What a waste.......

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.:rolleyes:

I understand why you would make that comment but in fairness, what has his dismissal from the Dáil achieved???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If he said nothing you would probably complain too.

decies wrote: »
    Whats tore mean :confused:

The past tense of 'tear'.

I understand why you would make that comment but in fairness, what has his dismissal from the Dáil achieved???

What will what Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey said achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't think it was a PR stunt. If he feels strongly enough about it then that's his choice. Not sure if it was the right one though.

That said I watched the debate on TalkTalk that followed and both Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey spoke very well on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Daysha wrote: »
    I don't think it was a PR stunt. If he feels strongly enough about it then that's his choice. Not sure if it was the right one though.

That said I watched the debate on TalkTalk that followed and both Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey spoke very well on the issue.

I suppose at worst it will be reported in the media, which keeps the issue in the public eye and thereby keeps 'some' pressure on the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

TalkTalk will be the talk of the town for the next while until it does close fully in October.

Daysha wrote: »

So did I and I agree they both spoke well. At least they got to make their point whereas Halligan....... unfortunately he didn`t get to make his point because he was having a hissy fit:rolleyes:

Just wondering has anyone seen John Deasy? Is he still on holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

So did I and I agree they both spoke well. At least they got to make their point whereas Halligan....... unfortunately he didn`t get to make his point because he was having a hissy fit:rolleyes:

Just wondering has anyone seen John Deasy? Is he still on holiday?
    Are you not reading any other thread here, or the news... or even the radio? John Deasy, to his credit, has been very active on this issue and the university issue in the past few days.

I know you'll be very interested in this as it concerns Sinn Fein.

Did you notice that Mary Lou McDonald had submitted a Priority Question but didn't bother showing up to hear the response and missed her opportunity to challenge the Minister on his reply.

Those in glass houses...

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    Are you not reading any other thread here, or the news... or even the radio? John Deasy, to his credit, has been very active on this issue and the university issue in the past few days.

Yes I noticed that by his contribution to proceedings today. I suppose he`s not called the invisible TD for nothing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

heres a link to it on breaking news the audio clip is on the right side of the article

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/waterford-td-halligan-gets-his-marching-orders-520536.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Meatwad wrote: »
    heres a link to it on breaking news the audio clip is on the right side of the article

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/waterford-td-halligan-gets-his-marching-orders-520536.html

GO ON MY SON GET IN THERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Good man John !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

When Paudie Coffey spoke in the Dail today, he was having a little pop at someone. He said something about people of all parties and no parties had the chance to meet the minister and then said something about how someone stayed for 30 seconds. Anyone care to say who or what he was hitting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

At least Halligan is raising the issue not like them other numptys elected for Waterford, they are too quiet to make an impact. Paudie Coffey afraid to rock the boat in case he upsets Enda. That Ciara Conway one doesn't know whether shes a TD or on summer-camp. As for Deasy, man has been in hibernation since the elections, wouldn't expect him to make any noise anyway.

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    When Paudie Coffey spoke in the Dail today, he was having a little pop at someone. He said something about people of all parties and no parties had the chance to meet the minister and then said something about how someone stayed for 30 seconds. Anyone care to say who or what he was hitting at.

Ciara Conway. It was no coincidence that Paudie made the comment str8 after Conway finished speaking today. In fairness one thing about Paudie is that he gets str8 to the point;) She pissed off Monday morning immediately after meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

IMO, he did the right thing by a mile. To make this whole situation worse, the dail recessed for 10+ minutes because of this, 10+ minutes that could have been spent discussing the issue at hand instead of doing what they did in spite.

I always said Halligan would make a good TD, you'd miss him from the News & Star mind you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Screaming down the Dail isn't going to get Waterford or the South East back on its feet, that's for sure.

As infuriating as the time limits are - its been that way for years and there probably isn't much you can do about it with the list of stuff that needs to be done on a day to day basis. So would be nice to use the time constructively, rather than getting kicked out of the Dail and contributing nothing.

These four were elected to represent us on a national scale. It would be nice if they did that, properly, every once in a while and when a serious issue like this arose they did their level best to get something going. But what can they do? Nothing really, unless they are a Minister it seems.

• Advertisement

As infuriating as the time limits are - its been that way for years and there

Today was the first day of these Sully....

On paper, it seems like a good idea, allowing backbenchers to raise topical issues within the Dáil. However what we witnessed today was proof that it was a rushed and poorly thought out addition to the schedule. Given the way it's designed, the more sensitive or important an issue is, the less likely there is to be a proper discussion as more Deputies would likely want to contribute and thus dilute the time available to them.

If John Deasy was there today then they would have been allocated something like 50 seconds each which is realistically 30 seconds once they get the ridiculous "I thank the Ceann Comhairle for allowing me to speak... I hope his dog his well" formalities out of the way! That's simply not enough and doesn't achieve anything other than a bit of window dressing and an opportunity for a back bencher to have their 15 minutes of fame... or in this case 75 seconds.

Advertisement