Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Halligan TD

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think john did somethin for us today that no one has in the history of An Dáil and thats make a bit of noise for the people of Waterford. G'wan John, let em know we're here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I cant believe that the people of waterford have fallen for this nonsense from Halligan!! He went into the Dail today with the express intention of getting thrown out, and it has worked a treat!!

Ive noticed that NOT A SINGLE PERSON has asked John Halligan what he said to Richard Bruton, when they met in Waterford on Monday last!!

Not a single person has asked John Halligan what proposals he would like to see being put forward to help the unemployed of Waterford.

The reality John Halligan had sweet FA to say today and that's why he ensured that he got thrown out (for those of you that dont know how the Dail operates, thisn type of crack goes on all the time!!!)

The people of Waterford have elected an egomaniac, whose policies would put even MORE people on the dole!!! NO WONDER WATERFORD IS IN THE STATE IT IS!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I asked that question Smiley :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I cant believe that the people of waterford have fallen for this nonsense from Halligan!! He went into the Dail today with the express intention of getting thrown out, and it has worked a treat!!

Ive noticed that NOT A SINGLE PERSON has asked John Halligan what he said to Richard Bruton, when they met in Waterford on Monday last!!

Not a single person has asked John Halligan what proposals he would like to see being put forward to help the unemployed of Waterford.

The reality John Halligan had sweet FA to say today and that's why he ensured that he got thrown out (for those of you that dont know how the Dail operates, thisn type of crack goes on all the time!!!)

The people of Waterford have elected an egomaniac, whose policies would put even MORE people on the dole!!! NO WONDER WATERFORD IS IN THE STATE IT IS!!

I agree, I haven't fallen for this nonsense. What kind of a tantrum was that? I thought myself he should broken something or upturned a table... go to give someone a nut on the way out the door. That's how you intimidate people -- not with these kind of hissy fits...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

bollox, I wouldn't eat a sammich in 1.20 seconds, might as well use it to make some noise. Fair play John, no one else seems to give a shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

so, an elected TD, stands up and asks why one of the most controversial national issues of the last week is given so little time, on the first day back of the dail.... and we get the usual people saying its a photo op/ publicity stunt...

at least he was'nt grinning like a cheshire cat in front of the doors of talk talk like conway, didnt see her on the news... saw halligan and cullinane speak on it... and of course coffey and deasey were at the piss up think tank, in galway.... nobody remembers a certain similar think tank last year? and a radio interview the next morning????

so, trying to bring local issues to the attention of the dail/govt is a publicity stunt? is that not what they are elected to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It might have been a self-serving political stunt, but it led to the situation at TalkTalk being mentioned once again on the news bulletins.

The end justifies the means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

At least he's not sitting on his arse doing nothing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    It might have been a self-serving political stunt, but it led to the situation at TalkTalk being mentioned once again on the news bulletins.

The end justifies the means.

TalkTalk was in the news anyway due to the whole EU thing, you'll notice in relation to John that the VAST majority of the news is about him and not TalkTalk. So really he didn't do that much good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

Some people just love to moan. If John Halligan gets up and lets rip, people say he should stay quiet. If he stays quiet, the same people will ask 'Where is John Halligan? Whats he doing for us? Useless politicians, blah, blah, blah...'.

Who knows whether he did any good or not yesterday, but local policitians sitting on their a*ses, with their mouths shut have really helped Waterford so far, haven't they? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

MoodRacer wrote: »
    Another PR stunt from John. A great help he is to talk talk workers and the other 15000 unemployed in Waterford. What a waste.......

Hey smart guy, you have no idea what John Halligan has done for the people of Waterford, Talk Talk was gone with no notice no matter what....get over it and go get a job!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Hey smart guy, you have no idea what John Halligan has done for the people of Waterford, Talk Talk was gone with no notice no matter what....get over it and go get a job!!

I live here, try to keep up with politics and I have no idea what hes done for the people of Waterford.
    Then again I can say that about the majority of politicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ok tell us ,

Many have come on here and stated he has done alot for Waterford ,So please give us a few examples , And not just good photo opportunities or good sound bites after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

I have to agree with you. John Halligan does come across as someone that is full of wind, a bit like Joan Bruton on the labour benches. Are they related. Both are great at making noise, but neither seem to have an answer to any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Ah the internet, the place where people have strong views yet don't do anything about them in the real world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

You hit the nail on the head Smiley. Halligan has an ego the size of the Christchurch steeple. He loves all this kind of attention, it feeds his ego and boosts his sense of vanity. I know him very well having been with him in the WP for many years. I seem to recall a very similar escapade when he was first elected as a Councillor onto Waterford City Council in 1999. He used to roar, shout and be ordered out of meetings over his opposition to the Book of Estimates and service charges which he charged were an attack on the poor and a form of double taxation, but in the end he sold out and voted for them which resulted in his expulsion from the WP. He has no discernible ideology of ny kind that I can make of. He is best described as a mé féiner surrounded by a host of 'yes men' whom he discards when they have no further use. If people are going to hold the likes of him up as a hero, I have one thing to say, be very careful. Going on his past record he is no substance or conviction and in essence is aload of hot air.

His suspension from the Dail was pretty stupid and immature. The result of his suspension is that Waterford will be without a representative in the Dail during a very important period in which some vital debates will be held. He could have simply made his point and left it at that. But no, he chose to play to the gallery. In the end there was no need for that kind of behaviour. We are a man down with ten minutes to go. Not an ideal position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

You are right, I have no idea what John Has done for the people of Waterford. Please give me a few examples of what John has done for Waterford since becoming a TD.

Btw, I have a job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I don't know what any of the four of them have done in particular Halligan..... I still can't believe that he got elected.... then again the alternatives weren't great. He has a nice moustache though hasn't he? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I vote John Halligan purely for his moustache.

Always have and always will.

Caira Conway could never grow a moustache like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

I vote John Halligan purely for his moustache.

Always have and always will.

Caira Conway could never grow a moustache like that.
    Ciara Conways moustache........:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Partizan wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head Smiley. Halligan has an ego the size of the Christchurch steeple. He loves all this kind of attention, it feeds his ego and boosts his sense of vanity. I know him very well having been with him in the WP for many years. I seem to recall a very similar escapade when he was first elected as a Councillor onto Waterford City Council in 1999. He used to roar, shout and be ordered out of meetings over his opposition to the Book of Estimates and service charges which he charged were an attack on the poor and a form of double taxation, but in the end he sold out and voted for them which resulted in his expulsion from the WP. He has no discernible ideology of ny kind that I can make of. He is best described as a mé féiner surrounded by a host of 'yes men' whom he discards when they have no further use. If people are going to hold the likes of him up as a hero, I have one thing to say, be very careful. Going on his past record he is no substance or conviction and in essence is aload of hot air.

His suspension from the Dail was pretty stupid and immature. The result of his suspension is that Waterford will be without a representative in the Dail during a very important period in which some vital debates will be held. He could have simply made his point and left it at that. But no, he chose to play to the gallery. In the end there was no need for that kind of behaviour. We are a man down with ten minutes to go. Not an ideal position to be in.

I'd say the first item on the agenda was the split, was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

MoodRacer wrote: »
    You are right, I have no idea what John Has done for the people of Waterford. Please give me a few examples of what John has done for Waterford since becoming a TD.

Btw, I have a job:)

As John is not long a TD and has little time to do anything, apart from going on WLR at every opportunity with Paudie Coffey to talk about everything, what has he done for Waterford before he went to Leinster House. Stand on a few pickets??? Is that it or is there more.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

nothing was ever achieved by shouting and roaring. That bollux Halligan made a show of himself and us with his display. <snip>

Mod edit: than might be your own opinion, but unless you can prove it, please don't make libellous statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Godsentme wrote: »
    nothing was ever achieved by shouting and roaring. <snip>

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Wonder will he do his part by living up to fair and democratic principles he says he aspires too and allow the people to get a chance to vote for David Norris if they so wish??? Hope so but it appears now that what appear to be a reality may just be an illiusion when it comes to the crunch :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wonder will he do his part by living up to fair and democratic principles he says he aspires too and allow the people to get a chance to vote for David Norris if they so wish??? Hope so but it appears now that what appear to be a reality may just be an illiusion when it comes to the crunch :o

Signed the papers last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I wouldnt be his biggest fan, i have little respect for most politicians. However, i did hear that he was down there trying to help resolve the MOrrisss dispute a few years back and he is more vocal than any of our other wasters. Is being more vocal good or bad is open to question.

The last I saw of Paudie Coffey, he was on the paper with an article about radon. that CUllinane SF fella is a joke, doesnt even live in Waterford and is main goal is to be McGuinness' shadow recently. 'Smiley Ciara' was delighed to be at Talk Talk with her boss. All in all I dont see any of them doign anything constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Max Powers wrote: »
    I wouldnt be his biggest fan, i have little respect for most politicians. However, i did hear that he was down there trying to help resolve the MOrrisss dispute a few years back and he is more vocal than any of our other wasters. Is being more vocal good or bad is open to question.

The last I saw of Paudie Coffey, he was on the paper with an article about radon. that CUllinane SF fella is a joke, doesnt even live in Waterford and is main goal is to be McGuinness' shadow recently. 'Smiley Ciara' was delighed to be at Talk Talk with her boss. All in all I dont see any of them doign anything constructive.

Coffey is afraid of his life to put his head above the parapet. Conway is probably still pinching herself for actually getting in. Deasy has more than likely burned all his bridges within the party and John has no power.

I feel if Deasy had not upset the party faithful he would have been well positioned and in my opinion the most capable of the 4, but he just could not help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Max Powers wrote: »
    All in all I dont see any of them doign anything constructive.

I suggest you make an appoinment with specsavers pal:) I bet you`re one of those armchair general / keyboard warrior types. If you voted in the GE who did you vote for? Have you contacted them to air your dissatisfaction? Maybe your chosen candidate didn`t in fact make it which would go along way to explaining your post:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement