Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can't really remember a great performance from him at 13. I don't think the position would suit him at all. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 though.

I think our 13s in 2015 will be one of the 13s starting at the provinces. I think that'll be Payne/Cave, Earls, Griffin/Henshaw or O'Malley/Macken.

I think Payne could well be the best of them myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I'd prefer a non residency candidate to get it, of course if there is no other viable option then sure why not but its fairly obvious Earls isn't the man for the job at the international level(just doesn't have the distribution).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I don't think the position would suit him at all.
    Disagree
    Wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 though..
    Agree
    I think Payne could well be the best of them myself.
    Agree, very much so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jared Payne will probably be our best option by 2015.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd agree with thomond, I'd say Payne will be our best 15 by then. I'd argue that he'd be playing for Ireland at 15 now if he were eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Payne is a great player but I would really really hate to see him play for Ireland. Bent was bad enough but at least he had some sort of Irish heritage. It would be rubbing salt in the wound if he was to do it playing at 15 pushing out a good Irish fullback like Kearney.

I was talking about Payne as a 13

Tox56 wrote: »
    Payne is a great player but I would really really hate to see him play for Ireland. Bent was bad enough but at least he had some sort of Irish heritage. It would be rubbing salt in the wound if he was to do it playing at 15 pushing out a good Irish fullback like Kearney.
    How does Payne differ from Strauss in that regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

LH Healy, Kilcoyne, Buckley, Court
    HK Best, Strauss, Cronin
    TH Ross, White, Fitzpatrick
    SR Ryan, McCarthy, Henderson, Stevenson,
    McLaughlin
    BF Ferris, O’Mahoney, SOB, McLaughlin
    OF SOB, Henry, O’Mahoney, O’Donnell, Jennings
    8 Heaslip, SOB, McKeon
    SH Murray, Marmion, McGrath
    OH Sexton, Keatley, Madigan, Jackson, Hanrahan

IC McSharry, Marshall, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Keatley, Hanrahan
    OC Earls, Payne, Cave, Griffin, O’Malley, Henshaw
    WG Bowe, Zebo, Fitzgerald, Gilroy, Trimble, McFadden, O’Halloran
    FB Kearney,
    Payne, Henshaw, Conway, Madigan, O'Halloran

Here's 46 or so who I think will be in contention for RWC '15 seats.

Of course 5 or 6 of them will drop off, and 5 or 6 will come in from the u-20's of the teams from 2010 - 2014.

I was talking about Payne as a 13
    Could do a job there.

Either way, I think Payne will certainly be a seriously strong candidate for inclusion in the WC squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »
    How does Payne differ from Strauss in that regard?

He doesn't? Didn't want to see him play either

would only want to see Payne playing for Ireland if there was no other viable option at the position.

just like i'd prefer to see Cronin off the bench than Strauss for Ireland.

Tox56 wrote: »

OK, going off-topic here but I think Bent/Boss/Court are actually worse than Strauss or Payne. At least the latter guys have to put in a bit of effort and show some level of commitment over three years.

Does Isaac Boss' granny really make him that much more Irish than Richardt Strauss?

I'd be happy enough to see Strauss and Payne playing at RWC 2015, especially if it enhances our chances of actually doing well for the first time in history.

We can't bring these guys over as project players and then change our morals half-way through. That'd be unfair on them.

We just need to cut out the project player system if we can.

We can't bring these guys over as project players and then change our morals half-way through. That'd be unfair on them.

We just need to cut out the project player system if we can.

And we need to cut out the practice trawling the southern hemisphere for guys with Irish ancestry.

Would be very hypocritical otherwise.

Does Isaac Boss' granny really make him that much more Irish than Richardt Strauss?

In my book yes, considering the large amount of people emigrating currently and my potential emigration once i finish my degree, I think its rather poor form to say someone who has Irish parents/grandparents aren't "irish" despite where they grew up.

In my book yes, considering the large amount of people emigrating currently and my potential emigration once i finish my degree, I think its rather poor form to say someone who has Irish parents/grandparents aren't "irish" despite where they grew up.
    I think there has to be a cut off point.

Irish parents sure. But if you are born outside of Ireland to parents born outside of Ireland to irish grandparents then IMO you're not really irish at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My mum was born in New Zealand, if I was good enough I could declare for new Zealand, I can claim a NZ passport etc.

None of this make me a New Zealander.

I don't begrudge anyone taking the opportunity to play top flight rugby though.

That is not what I'm saying at all. I'm only too happy to accept Boss, Court, Bent and whoever wants to declare for us.

My point is that if Isaac Boss can be considered Irish, with his one Irish grandparent and never having been here until he signed for Ulster, why then can we not accept as being Irish a guy who arrives here, puts in his three years and then declares for Ireland?

If that isn't a double-standard, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

at this stage then we should try and introduce the 'bang a bird' campaign, where Irish men leaving the country are encouraged to spread the "good word" around the women of world, obviously the more women the better. Thus in 20 odd years time leaving a whole new group of semi Irish people that we can repatriate into the Irish squad

• Advertisement

at this stage then we should try and introduce the 'bang a bird' campaign, where Irish men leaving the country are encouraged to spread the "good word" around the women of world, obviously the more women the better. Thus in 20 odd years time leaving a whole new group of semi Irish people that we can repatriate into the Irish squad
    Sounds like a job the IRFU could give to retiring players, to get that good rugby DNA out there. :pac:

And the likes of Nacewa should be given permission to impregnate the women of Ireland as they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, please.

If only Drico had hooked up with a 20-stone Samoan woman. Missed opportunity there.

If only Drico had hooked up with a 20-stone Samoan woman. Missed opportunity there.

tumblr_m2kvw7tev21qbh4e2o1_500.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

start of this thread was amusing and interesting, apart from the obvious depressing thoughts when reading Nevin Spences name.

Anyway my 23 looks like this:

1. Cian Healy(27)
    2. Richardt Strauss(29)
    3. Nathan White(33)
    4. Iain Henderson(23)
    5. Paul O'Connell(35)
    6. Peter O'Mahony(25)
    7. Sean O'Brien(28)
    8. Jamie Heaslip(30)
    9. Conor Murray(26)
    10. Jonathan Sexton(30)
    11. Simon Zebo(25)
    12. Luke Marshall(24)
    13. Jared Payne(29)
    14. Tommy Bowe(31)
    15. Rob Kearney(29)
    16. Mike Sherry(27)
    17. Dave Kilcoyne(26)
    18. Jamie Hagan(28)
    19. Donnacha Ryan(31)
    20. Chris Henry(30)
    21. Kieran Marmion(23)
    22. Ian Madigan(26)
    23. Keith Earls(27)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

If O'Malley can stay fit he seems to be the natural replacement for BOD and oozes class. However can't see Madigan on the bench and Robbie Henshaw will feature, perhaps at 13 where I believe Connacht will play him next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

Eoin O'Malley has a history of getting injured and hasn't played more than 1 game of rugby in the last 12 months.

Can't see Madigan on the bench? what? If he becomes international quality at any position it will be 10, not 12 or 15 and he certainly hasn't shown any sign of jumping above sexton yet. Comfortably the second best 10 so bench spot fits.

If Henshaw were to move to 13 next season, his chances would increase but based on his performances on the USA tour he is some distance off from featuring for Ireland in any capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

JagerScout wrote: »
    start of this thread was amusing and interesting, apart from the obvious depressing thoughts when reading Nevin Spences name.

Anyway my 23 looks like this:

1. Cian Healy(27)
    2. Richardt Strauss(29)
    3. Nathan White(33)
    4. Iain Henderson(23)
    5. Paul O'Connell(35)
    6. Peter O'Mahony(25)
    7. Sean O'Brien(28)
    8. Jamie Heaslip(30)
    9. Conor Murray(26)
    10. Jonathan Sexton(30)
    11. Simon Zebo(25)
    12. Luke Marshall(24)
    13. Jared Payne(29)
    14. Tommy Bowe(31)
    15. Rob Kearney(29)
    16. Mike Sherry(27)
    17. Dave Kilcoyne(26)
    18. Jamie Hagan(28)
    19. Donnacha Ryan(31)
    20. Chris Henry(30)
    21. Kieran Marmion(23)
    22. Ian Madigan(26)
    23. Keith Earls(27)

That starting XV actually looks very strong. The bench wouldnt put the fear of God into many teams though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I'm not convinced with White, it's a huge step up to international rugby.. Think we may also have to look for a replacement for Kearney too.

this thread is a bit of a nonsense in my opinion. A lot is gonna change by 2015!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Leinster7 wrote: »
    this thread is a bit of a nonsense in my opinion. A lot is gonna change by 2015!

It's just a bit of close season fun. It is funny looking at the OP and looking at some of the names mentioned two years and already mentioned sad to see Nevin Spence named.

That was two years ago so we will see how far out the predictions are now in 2015!

well my two pence worth then... Simon Zebo is gonna be a big star for Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Wow, it's actually amazing to look back on the OP from two years ago.

I'd be surprised if too many of his predictions turn out to be correct:
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Here's mine assuming that by 2015 we have 23 man squads:

15. Felix Jones - No chance
    14. Andrew Conway - Would be a stunning breakthrough
    13. Nevin Spence
    12. Fergus McFadden - Not if Olding and Marshall keep progressing
    11. Keith Earls - slipping down the pecking order
    10. Jonathan Sexton - certainty
    9. Luke McGrath - no chance
    8. Jamie Heaslip (c) - certainty
    7. Dominic Ryan - no chance
    6. Sean O'Brien - certainty
    5. Dan Tuohy - no chance
    4. Ian Nagle - no chance
    3. Jamie Hagan - very good chance
    2. Richard Strauss - certainty for the 23
    1. Cian Healy -certainty

16. Sean Cronin - unlikely
    17. Jack O'Connell - probably not, needs plenty of game time this year
    18. Stewart Maguire - erm...
    19. Dave O'Callaghan - no chance
    20. Rhys Ruddock - long shot
    21. Conor Murray - certainty
    22. JJ Hanrahan - if he gets ahead of Keatley, he's in with a shout
    23. Eoin Griffin - no chance

Based on what we've seen to date, potential and (most importantly) the likelihood of getting senior game time in which to demonstrate potential, I'd go for:

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Cave
    12. Olding
    11. Zebo
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Ryan
    5. O'Connell
    6. Henderson
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip

16. Best 17. Kilcoyne 18. ?? 19. Toner 20. O'Mahony 21. Marmion 22. Madigan 23. Fitzgerald

Guys like Luke McGrath, Ian Nagle and Dominic Ryan may well have the ability but just won't get enough HEC action to force their way in.

Ah feck it, just to kill 2 minutes...

Kearney
    Bowe
    Olding
    Marshall
    Fitzgerald
    Sexton
    Murray
    Heaslip
    SOB
    POM
    Henderson
    O'Connell
    Bent :eek:
    Strauss
    Healy

Sherry
    Kilcoyne
    Hagan
    Ryan
    TOD
    Marmion
    Madigan
    Zebo

• Advertisement

My original team had Ian Nagle in it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

shuffol wrote: »
    15. Rob K
    14. Bowe
    13. Chris Farrell
    12. Luke Marshall
    11. O'Halloran
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. Conor Gilsenan
    8. O'Brien

16. Mcgrath
    17. Cronin
    18. Moore
    19. Tuohy
    20. Heaslip
    21. Cooney
    22. Jackson
    23. D. Kearney

There's mine, I'd bring Olding into midfield though wouldn't be surprised if Farrells involved at that stage, Heaslip will be in the backrow but again Gilsenans got a decent chance of Irish exposure by then. TOH has been a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Kearney Could still be there, more than likely will bar Zebo switches the 15 for Munster
    Bowe More or less certain to still be in the squad anyway given his quality
    O' Malley Outside chance, last season he was hampered by injury but still on contention to replace BOD
    Spence
    Conway Not going happen bar a dramatic pregression at Munster
    Sexton certain more or less
    Murray Would have to think he's more or less nailed on too
    Heaslip Certain
    O Brien Certain
    O Mahoney Reckon he's a very good chance too
    Nagle Not a hope
    Tuohy Not a hope
    Healy Certain
    Cronin Not a hope, won't even be in squad
    Hagan Looks like the frontrunner to take over from Ross so has a good shout

Strauss/Sherry I think Sherry could well be our starting hooker soon, couldn't call Kilcoyne one would think, couldn't callArcher, Lutton, one of the young Leinster lads, P Butler Doubtful enough but I wouldn't rule him out of being involved in the squad, really underrated player imo, McgrathPossible, himself or Marmion look likely, KeatleyCertainly a possibility if next season goes well, Earls

there's my team and what I think of it now, all in all I'm reasonably confident in most of my selections still!

Dan Touhy really was flavor of the month back then though wasn't he!

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Cronin. If he can sort his darts out he'd be the most mobile hooker in Ireland, and he's never caught short in the scrums either.

.ak wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Cronin. If he can sort his darts out he'd be the most mobile hooker in Ireland, and he's never caught short in the scrums either.

Ya probably harsh to rule him out consider it was around his age now that Best sorted his darts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm convinced I knew nothing about rugby when I posted back in 2011. Why did I leave out Donnacha Ryan and Bowe?! Why the hell was Fionn Carr in so many of our teams?! Mental. Looking at my team, I don't want it to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I wouldnt dismiss Tuohy either, he's a great athlete with very good skills, looks like he needs a kick up the arse every now and again but has only just turned 28. He'll most likely still be starting for Ulster in 2015 so shouldnt be ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Dave o callaghan (Munster)

John Quill (Munster/USA)

Dont rule these two lads out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canyon86 wrote: »

John Quill (Munster/USA)

Dont rule these two lads out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya I reckon Dave O Callaghan could have a real shot if he switches to lock, great athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

My original team:
    15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. AN Other
    11. Zebo
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray
    8. Heaslip
    7. POM
    6. SOB
    5. POC
    4. Ryan
    3. Ross
    2. Best
    1. Healy

Still relatively comfortable that at least 10 of them are correct barring injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm convinced I knew nothing about rugby when I posted back in 2011. Why did I leave out Donnacha Ryan and Bowe?! Why the hell was Fionn Carr in so many of our teams?! Mental. Looking at my team, I don't want it to be right.

We're a nation of knee jerk reactors! If someone has two or three good games at Pro12 level, people are asking why they aren't in the national side. Irish rugby moves at a glacial pace. For the most part the right players are already in place. I don't expect there to be significant changes between Kidney's selections in the last 9 months and Schmidt's first selection.

We also love to hype up young players to ridiculous heights. The schools rugby thread is littered with people claiming such and such will go on to be an Irish great.

It's all exciting and fun to see the fringe players or young players get a shot but, more often than not, they're nowhere near as good as an experienced, quality player who has been around for a long time.

Actually thinking about it, there's still 2 seasons of rugby to go so I don't want to completely dismiss my original prediction. A lot can happen in two seasons.

Hagz wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it, there's still 2 seasons of rugby to go so I don't want to completely dismiss my original prediction. A lot can happen in two seasons.

#Justice4Carr

Can anyone remember Brent Pope's predicted team. I can remember he had Conor Gilsenan at 7, but I can't remember any more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Canyon86 wrote: »

John Quill (Munster/USA)

Ummm, does being capped for the USA not pretty much rule him out anyway?

O'Callaghan will not come into the reckoning unless he starts getting top level exposure, i.e. Heineken Cup starts, for Munster. With O'Connell and Ryan in situ and DOC1 still knocking around, that's going to be hard. So yeah, I'd probably rule him out tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement