Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SD Sportsman

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Moore
    4. Henderson
    5. O Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. O Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. Marshall
    13. Payne
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

16. Strauss/Cronin
    17. McGrath
    18. Ross
    19. Ryan
    20. O Mahony
    21. Marmion
    22. Jackson
    23. Olding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

What I would go for:

15. Payne
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. Marshall
    11. Zebo
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray
    8. Heaslip
    7. SOB
    6. Ferris
    5. Henderson
    4. POC
    3. Moore
    2. Best
    1. Healy

16. Strauss, 17. J Cronin, 18. Fitzpatrick, 19. Toner, 20. POM, 21. Marmion, 22. Hanrahan, 23. Gilroy

Ulster 8
    Leinster 7
    Munster 6
    Connacht 1
    Racing Metro 1

I'm surprised that my selection is so balanced between the Ulster Leinster Munster. To me that looks like a seriously talented and balanced 23, no chance they will all be fit(especially Ferris) but on paper it looks like a brilliant squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Looking at the players available to ireland we have a serious bunch of talent, i dont think theres ever been an irish squad of 30 or so players good enough to play the top teams in international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

Surprised to see so many people selecting Luke Fitzgerald, yes he's an outstanding player and is in form at the moment but if you look at guys such as Zebo, Gilroy and D.Kearney, they will surely be better in 2 years time.

Harry FM wrote: »
    Surprised to see so many people selecting Luke Fitzgerald, yes he's an outstanding player and is in form at the moment but if you look at guys such as Zebo, Gilroy and D.Kearney, they will surely be better in 2 years time.

Whys that? Fitzgerald will only be 28 at the World Cup.
    What have the others shown that he hasn't?

• Advertisement

Whys that? Fitzgerald will only be 28 at the World Cup.
    What have the others shown that he hasn't?

He looked like he would be a brilliant player when he was younger but I don't think he quite reached the level we all expected him to. Zebo, Gilroy and D.Kearney all have very good try scoring records at international level. I just think that they will be better in 2 years.

He looked like he would be a brilliant player when he was younger but I don't think he quite reached the level we all expected him to. Zebo, Gilroy and D.Kearney all have very good try scoring records at international level. I just think that they will be better in 2 years.[/QUOTE]

That's because Fitzgerald has been injured for two or more years. He was a lions test player at 24 and has been excellent in between injuries.
    The others only have 13 caps between (Zebo 6, Gilroy 5, Kearney 2) and scored two tries each both of kearneys against an awful, depleted, tired Samoa and Gilroy and Zebo both scored one against an equally awful Argentina last autumn. These are hardly very good try scoring records as they've barely played so I don't know what you're basing that on.
    There's also a lot more than just tries required and Fitzgerald is easily the best defender.
    In a Leinster sense I don't think even when returning from injuries, Kearney was ever rated ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

A fit Fitzgerald is easily ahead of those 3 imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Grimebox wrote: »

Ah he's not 'easily' ahead of an in form Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Ah he's not 'easily' ahead of an in form Zebo.

The thing is we haven't seen the best of Zebo, on top form, he will be special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Moore
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Gilroy
    12. Marshall
    13. Fitzgerald
    14. Bowe
    15. Zebo

16. J. McGrath, 17. S. Cronin, 18. Ross, 19. Toner, 20, O'Mahoney, 21. L. McGrath, 22. Hanrahan, 23. Henshaw/Olding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Sure I'll give it a lash so.

Healy, Strauss, Moore
    Henderson, Toner
    POM, SOB, Heaslip
    Murray, Sexton
    Fitzgerald, Marshall, Payne, Gilroy
    R Kearney

Best, McGrath, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Marmion, Madigan, Earls

If POC and Ferris are fit, they'll slot in and Henderson may not even up in the second row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Grimebox wrote: »

Fitz easily ahead of Zebo, not a chance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

phog wrote: »
    Fitz easily ahead of Zebo, not a chance of it.

Both of them playing to the best of their ability as to what we have seen thus far in their careers? Fitzgerald would be ahead of Zebo for many.

People have very short memories in relation to Fitzgerald as to how good he has shown himself to be capable of.

Perhaps using the word "easily" overstepped the mark. How about: A fit Fitzgerald is ahead of those 3 imo.

Given how Schmidt puts a huge emphasis on squad building, hopefully all of them will heavily feature especially Zebo

PERSONALLY speaking, I don't think Zebo will be in the shake up. He's the second best winger in Munster IMO. That's just based on what we've seen in the last couple of years of course, maybe he'll kick on massively.

PERSONALLY speaking, I don't think Zebo will be in the shake up. He's the second best winger in Munster IMO. That's just based on what we've seen in the last couple of years of course, maybe he'll kick on massively.

Isn't everyone's selection based on what we've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Moore
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. Ferris/POM
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. Marshall
    13. Payne
    14. Bowe
    15. R.Kearney

16.Strauss
    17.Mcgrath
    18.Fitspatrick
    19.POM/Ferris
    20.McCarthy
    21.P.Marshall
    22.Jackson
    23.Fitzgerald

Rest of squad
    Cronin
    Kilcoyne/J.Cronin
    Henderson
    Toss up between
    T. O'Donnell/R.Ruddock/C.Henry
    Gilroy
    Madigan
    Toss up between
    Cave/D.Kearney/McFadden

Close
    JJ. Hanrahan
    Archer
    Marmion
    Earls
    Trimble
    Toner

Buer wrote: »
    Both of them playing to the best of their ability as to what we have seen thus far in their careers? Fitzgerald would be ahead of Zebo for many.

People have very short memories in relation to Fitzgerald as to how good he has shown himself to be capable of.

I'm not dissing Fitz and at this moment in time Fitz certainly offers more if either were to be a bench option. My point as a winger both would be closer than suggested.

phog wrote: »
    Isn't everyone's selection based on what we've seen.

Not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Buer wrote: »

It would all depend on the make-up of the team - defensively Fitz would be ahead but for strike power, getting over the line, it would be (an inform) Zebo.

Zebo's left boot is very handy as well.

Anyone else think that Tommy Bowe's form hasn't been great/a bit inconsistent over the last year or so. Injuries maybe catching up with him now. Maybe all that game time with the Ospreys is beginning to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Assuming an extra place for am additional prop, my 31 man squad:

Healy, McGrath, Cronin
    Best, Strauss, Cronin
    Moore, White, Ross
    Henderson, POC, Ryan, Toner
    POM, Ruddock, SOB, TOD, Heaslip
    Murray, Marmion, McGrath
    Sexton, Jackson
    Marshall, Olding, Payne, Fitzgerald
    Bowe, Zebo, Gilroy, Kearney

Huge amount of exciting permutations in the back line. I've left out the likes of Madigan, Hanrahan, McFadden, Dave Kearney, Cave, Griffin, Henshaw and Earls.

One thing is pretty clear: a need to blood Marmion. I included McGrath but not sure he'll be ready. Hart could be an interesting option due to his goal kicking and versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Barring injury...

I would be shocked if Healy, POC, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Bowe aren't starting in 2 years time. You would think Kearney will be aswell.

If Ferris is fit, he'll start, but there has to be major doubts over that atm considering how long ago it is since he played. POM is likely to start in his absence, I can't see anything but him growing in stature until then.

2 years is plenty time for the likes of Marshall, Henderson, Marmion, etc. to get in around the squad, maybe nail down a place. Hanrahan could have a season as first-choice to challenge Madigan and Jackson for the sub out-half spot. The battle for hooker, the battle at 13 and the wing spot are likely to be huge.

I'll go for:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Moore
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    6. POM
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. Marshall
    13. Payne
    14. Bowe
    15. Fitzgerald

16. Cronin
    17. Cronin
    18. White
    19. Ryan
    20. TOD
    21. Marmion
    22. Jackson
    23. Earls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He looked like he would be a brilliant player when he was younger but I don't think he quite reached the level we all expected him to. Zebo, Gilroy and D.Kearney all have very good try scoring records at international level. I just think that they will be better in 2 years.

That's because Fitzgerald has been injured for two or more years. He was a lions test player at 24 and has been excellent in between injuries.
    The others only have 13 caps between (Zebo 6, Gilroy 5, Kearney 2) and scored two tries each both of kearneys against an awful, depleted, tired Samoa and Gilroy and Zebo both scored one against an equally awful Argentina last autumn. These are hardly very good try scoring records as they've barely played so I don't know what you're basing that on.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of reasons why Fitzgerald may be ahead of Gilroy or Zebo (both excellent wingers and I'm not certain he is or isn't) however one thing is for sure, try scoring record for Ireland is definitely NOT one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    There are a lot of reasons why Fitzgerald may be ahead of Gilroy or Zebo (both excellent wingers and I'm not certain he is or isn't) however one thing is for sure, try scoring record for Ireland is definitely NOT one of them!

I've no idea if this is what the poster meant but if Gilroy/Zebo have poor try scoring records it takes away one of the biggest (if not the biggest) reasons for not picking Fitzgerald. Then again Gilroy/Zebo don't exactly have the worst conversion rate so far, so I don't really know what he was trying to say.

Sorry I should have clarified. I never said Fitzgerald had a great try record but my point was it's not like the others do, yet anyway. As Fitzgerald is a better player in most other areas that's why I would have him ahead if them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Sorry I should have clarified. I never said Fitzgerald had a great try record but my point was it's not like the others do, yet anyway. As Fitzgerald is a better player in most other areas that's why I would have him ahead if them.

Well after the Wallabies match Dave Kearney had as many tries in one cap as Fitzgerald does in 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

chupacabra wrote: »
    I know threads like this are utterly pointless but its fun to put our opinions up based on what we THINK we know now and then look back in years to come and see how right or how terribly wrong we were.

Here's mine assuming that by 2015 we have 23 man squads:

15. Felix Jones
    14. Andrew Conway
    13. Nevin Spence
    12. Fergus McFadden
    11. Keith Earls
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Luke McGrath
    8. Jamie Heaslip (c)
    7. Dominic Ryan
    6. Sean O'Brien
    5. Dan Tuohy
    4. Ian Nagle
    3. Jamie Hagan
    2. Richard Strauss
    1. Cian Healy

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack O'Connell
    18. Stewart Maguire
    19. Dave O'Callaghan
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Conor Murray
    22. JJ Hanrahan
    23. Eoin Griffin

Honorable mentions or shouts for squad players: Tiernan O'Halloran, Paddy Butler, Peter O'Mahony, Paddy McAllister, Brendan Macken, Mike Sherry and too many more to name

Brave attempt but only two members of that backline are likely to feature as first teamers. Three of the pack as well.

Superbus wrote: »
    Well after the Wallabies match Dave Kearney had as many tries in one cap as Fitzgerald does in 27.

As I said earlier I never said Fitzgerald had a great try record.
    There is more to wing play than tries.
    Fitzgerald is better in every single facet of the game to Dave Kearney who I'm not saying is a bad player but is comfortably behind the other three in the debate.
    My point on the try records was not trying to use it to enhance the argument for Fitzgerald, it was in retaliation to the point made by somebody else that the other three somehow had very good try records at international level which is impossible with 13 combined caps. I don't believe therefore if can be part of the discussion as to who should be included.
    They may go on to have very good records but for now no so based on what we know of the players at international level it is Fitzgerald I feel should be included AS OF NOW. That can change over 20 months.

And before you reply Dave Kearney does have a very good try record for Ireland see how many he has after 20 caps if he gets that many, not after two against the worst team to play international rugby in the Aviva with huge injury problems.

• Advertisement

CJ Stander will be eligible...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

and not playing for ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

and not playing for ireland

Aye. Would like to see him in the Munster team first.

and not playing for in ireland

FYP, just based on how things are looking at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Superbus wrote: »
    As I said earlier I never said Fitzgerald had a great try record.
    There is more to wing play than tries.
    Fitzgerald is better in every single facet of the game to Dave Kearney who I'm not saying is a bad player but is comfortably behind the other three in the debate.
    My point on the try records was not trying to use it to enhance the argument for Fitzgerald, it was in retaliation to the point made by somebody else that the other three somehow had very good try records at international level which is impossible with 13 combined caps. I don't believe therefore if can be part of the discussion as to who should be included.
    They may go on to have very good records but for now no so based on what we know of the players at international level it is Fitzgerald I feel should be included AS OF NOW. That can change over 20 months.

And before you reply Dave Kearney does have a very good try record for Ireland see how many he has after 20 caps if he gets that many, not after two against the worst team to play international rugby in the Aviva with huge injury problems.

So Fitz's two tries against an absolutely awful Italian side should be discounted then. So in effect he has scored no worthwhile tries for Ireland in that thesis. A winger with then, 26 meaningful caps has scored no tries is actually better than those who have? What about the awful international teams he has played against. If he's a s good as you think why hasn't he scored hatfuls of tries against them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

jacothelad wrote: »
    So Fitz's two tries against an absolutely awful Italian side should be discounted then. So in effect he has scored no worthwhile tries for Ireland in that thesis. A winger with then, 26 meaningful caps has scored no tries is actually better than those who have? What about the awful international teams he has played against. If he's a s good as you think why hasn't he scored hatfuls of tries against them?

Strike rate is a pretty useless source of information Jaco. The simple number of caps and tries doesn't provide any context. For instance, the cap doesn't say how many minutes the players played (with many of Fitzgerald and others being under 10 minutes). The cap doesn't say how much possession Ireland had, thus how many opportunities said player had to score. The cap doesn't say what position the player was in. It doesn't describe the quality of opposition.

For example, Fitzgerald has 27 caps. About 14 of them have come with him on the wing (I can't say for certain as there is no feasible way to guarantee). 22 of them have come against 6nations sides and SANZAR teams. The remaining 5 coming against a combination of lower tiered teams and Argentina. Again, those 27 caps don't detail the minutes he was on the field etc. He has 2 tries, and as has been pointed out those two tries came against a weak team in Italy.

Now lets look at some other players.

Simon Zebo has 6 caps with 2 tries. two of those caps he was at full-back, where he scored 1 of his tries. So he has scored 1 try whilst playing on the wing in his 4 caps on the wing. But again, those caps don't detail that he played against New Zealand in his first cap, or that he went down injured early against England. One of his tries came against a truly woeful Argentina team, so do we discount it?

Andrew Trimble has 50 caps with 12 tries. But again those caps don't show that for a few of the games he was in the centre. And 7 of his 12 tries came against Canada, Russia, Namibia, Romania and Italy. Do we discount them?

Dave Kearney has only played 2 games, with two tries, so its impossible to give his strike-rate any credence. And those two tries came against an awful Samoan team, so do we discount those?

Keith Earls has 39 caps with 12 tries. But 4 of those 12 tries came when he was in the centre/full-back, do we discount those? 8 of them came against Canada, Fiji, Russia, and Italy. Do we discount those?

See what I mean?

• Advertisement

Statistics have always been misleading in Rugby. Trying to refer to number of tackles / missed tackles as a way to compare players has proved fruitless in the past too.

Hagz wrote: »
    Strike rate is a pretty useless source of information Jaco. The simple number of caps and tries doesn't provide any context. For instance, the cap doesn't say how many minutes the players played (with many of Fitzgerald and others being under 10 minutes). The cap doesn't say how much possession Ireland had, thus how many opportunities said player had to score. The cap doesn't say what position the player was in. It doesn't describe the quality of opposition.

For example, Fitzgerald has 27 caps. About 14 of them have come with him on the wing (I can't say for certain as there is no feasible way to guarantee). 22 of them have come against 6nations sides and SANZAR teams. The remaining 5 coming against a combination of lower tiered teams and Argentina. Again, those 27 caps don't detail the minutes he was on the field etc. He has 2 tries, and as has been pointed out those two tries came against a weak team in Italy.

Now lets look at some other players.

Simon Zebo has 6 caps with 2 tries. two of those caps he was at full-back, where he scored 1 of his tries. So he has scored 1 try whilst playing on the wing in his 4 caps on the wing. But again, those caps don't detail that he played against New Zealand in his first cap, or that he went down injured early against England. One of his tries came against a truly woeful Argentina team, so do we discount it?

Andrew Trimble has 50 caps with 12 tries. But again those caps don't show that for a few of the games he was in the centre. And 7 of his 12 tries came against Canada, Russia, Namibia, Romania and Italy. Do we discount them?

Dave Kearney has only played 2 games, with two tries, so its impossible to give his strike-rate any credence. And those two tries came against an awful Samoan team, so do we discount those?

Keith Earls has 39 caps with 12 tries. But 4 of those 12 tries came when he was in the centre/full-back, do we discount those? 8 of them came against Canada, Fiji, Russia, and Italy. Do we discount those?

See what I mean?

I know. I was being a bit naughty.....ironic. If someone dismisses a player's tries against weak opposition in order to bum up a player who has only scored tries against weak opposition it's a bit...I don't know....childlike perhaps.

I know. I was being a bit naughty.....ironic. If someone dismisses a player's tries against weak opposition in order to bum up a player who has only scored tries against weak opposition it's a bit...I don't know....childlike perhaps.

Yet again... I never said Fitzgerald had a good try record. Can you read?
    My point is that the other threes try scoring for Ireland cannot be considered when picking your Ireland team as they don't have record, they've played 13 games combined.
    I'm saying the try records for all of them are irrelevant and you're picking based on what else they can do. This is where in my opinion Fitzgerald is superior to the other 3.
    Until the others play tonight games and keep scoring the try stats are pointless.
    You can absoloutley discount Fitzgerald tries against Italy but it really doesn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

I don't think that you can discount try scoring record. However as with all statistics - beware using them as a drunk uses a lamp-post - for support rather than illumination.

Good wingers generally score more tries than bad ones. Also those who score more tries are more likely to be good wingers than those who don't.

I could however, give you plenty of examples of wingers who had good strike rates based on a few early games but weren't really up to much.

Luke Fitz' try scoring record is pretty poor for an international wing - there is no disguising that. But that doesn't make him a bad player. He has 29 tries in 118 (100 starts) appearances for Leinster. By comparison, DK has 13 in 62 (50+12). KE has 25 tries in 88 (81+7). Doug Howlett has 35 in 114(111+3). Denis Hickie had 55 in 125 (117+8). Andrew Trimble has 30 tries in 103 and Tommy Bowe has 40 in 104. Last two are from wiki, as the Ulster site is down right now.

Strictly on try scoring rate, Fitz and DK would be down near the bottom of the list, and in fact I'd say that is probably fair enough in terms of their fundamental nose for the line. Earls is a little ahead of them (and Trimble), but behind the others. Again a fair reflection - if all I wanted from my winger was to touch the ball down, then I'd take Earls in a heartbeat over any of those three.

If you want a really good example of massive try scoring rate then look at Alex Cuthbert - 26 tries in 37 games for Cardiff and 9 tries in 17 games for Wales. There is no doubt he knows his way to the line, probably as well as anyone in world rugby. Total donkey in every other respect though.

DeDoc wrote: »
    I don't think that you can discount try scoring record. However as with all statistics - beware using them as a drunk uses a lamp-post - for support rather than illumination.

Good wingers generally score more tries than bad ones. Also those who score more tries are more likely to be good wingers than those who don't.

I could however, give you plenty of examples of wingers who had good strike rates based on a few early games but weren't really up to much.

Luke Fitz' try scoring record is pretty poor for an international wing - there is no disguising that. But that doesn't make him a bad player. He has 29 tries in 118 (100 starts) appearances for Leinster. By comparison, DK has 13 in 62 (50+12). KE has 25 tries in 88 (81+7). Doug Howlett has 35 in 114(111+3). Denis Hickie had 55 in 125 (117+8). Andrew Trimble has 30 tries in 103 and Tommy Bowe has 40 in 104. Last two are from wiki, as the Ulster site is down right now.

Strictly on try scoring rate, Fitz and DK would be down near the bottom of the list, and in fact I'd say that is probably fair enough in terms of their fundamental nose for the line. Earls is a little ahead of them (and Trimble), but behind the others. Again a fair reflection - if all I wanted from my winger was to touch the ball down, then I'd take Earls in a heartbeat over any of those three.

If you want a really good example of massive try scoring rate then look at Alex Cuthbert - 26 tries in 37 games for Cardiff and 9 tries in 17 games for Wales. There is no doubt he knows his way to the line, probably as well as anyone in world rugby. Total donkey in every other respect though.

Yeah these are all over 37-118 games when you can properly assess their records. You can't do this over 2,5 or 6 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

DeDoc wrote: »

Most of Earls' club rugby has been in the centre. Fitz has an awful try scoring record at international level. That doesn't make him a poor player, but I'd imagine that it may be one of the reasons why he is being looked at as a centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm posting this here mostly as a means for me to look back on it in 18 months...

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. D'arcy
    11. Gilroy
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Moore
    4. O'Connell
    5. Ryan
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip

16. Best
    17. McGrath
    18. Ross
    19. Toner
    20. Ruddock
    21. Marmion
    22. Madigan
    23. Zebo

Rounding out the rest of the 30 man squad: Cronin, Hagan, McCarthy, McLoughlin, McGrath, Jackson, Marshall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

And? Has generally been v poor for munster playing 6 or 7 and only looks ok at 8 . He came with a big rep but unless he gets the finger out he will be going home sooner rather than later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm posting this here mostly as a means for me to look back on it in 18 months...

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. D'arcy
    11. Gilroy
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Moore
    4. O'Connell
    5. Ryan
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip

16. Best
    17. McGrath
    18. Ross
    19. Toner
    20. Ruddock
    21. Marmion
    22. Madigan
    23. Zebo

Rounding out the rest of the 30 man squad: Cronin, Hagan, McCarthy, McLoughlin, McGrath, Jackson, Marshall.

No Henderson, even in the squad?

shaka wrote: »
    And? Has generally been v poor for munster playing 6 or 7 and only looks ok at 8 . He came with a big rep but unless he gets the finger out he will be going home sooner rather than later

He may go home, but he has not been very poor. In fact, he's been quite good.

Yet again... I never said Fitzgerald had a good try record. Can you read?
    My point is that the other threes try scoring for Ireland cannot be considered when picking your Ireland team as they don't have record, they've played 13 games combined.
    I'm saying the try records for all of them are irrelevant and you're picking based on what else they can do. This is where in my opinion Fitzgerald is superior to the other 3.
    Until the others play tonight games and keep scoring the try stats are pointless.
    You can absoloutley discount Fitzgerald tries against Italy but it really doesn't change anything.
    Now, now. No need to be offensive. I would have thought you would have been able to work the answer to that out for yourself. Sadly, reading nonsense is still reading nonsense.

Now, now. No need to be offensive. I would have thought you would have been able to work the answer to that out for yourself. Sadly, reading nonsense is still reading nonsense.

Sorry I forgot calling someone's opinion childish wasn't offensive.
    It's great how you have a go at other people nonsense without pointing out why or giving your own opinion.
    But you know what I couldn't care less what you have to say so I'm going to leave it here before Mods start intervening interpret my points whatever way tickles your little self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

He may go home, but he has not been very poor. In fact, he's been quite good.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny ive seen every home game he has played and He clearly can't play flanker , gives soft penaltys ( how can a pro not understand offside) while been lazy . In attack he is useful ball in hand but doesn't understand how to support his own team going into a ruck. They have been spending ages working with him one on one to get him up to speed but there hasn't been any improvement IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No Henderson, even in the squad?

He may go home, but he has not been very poor. In fact, he's been quite good.

Has he?!

Sorry I forgot calling someone's opinion childish wasn't offensive.
    It's great how you have a go at other people nonsense without pointing out why or giving your own opinion.
    But you know what I couldn't care less what you have to say so I'm going to leave it here before Mods start intervening interpret my points whatever way tickles your little self.

I most certainly didn't call your post childish. I called the process of discounting player A's accomplishments because you're enamoured with player B, childlike. You're opinions of Fitz are not that uncommon but they are just that. Opinion...... and not one actually shared by everyone. Get it yet? Saying a player is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of others with absolutely no evidence or history of such stellar performances is -as I said - not really capable of standing up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I most certainly didn't call your post childish. I called the process of discounting player A's accomplishments because you're enamoured with player B, childlike. You're opinions of Fitz are not that uncommon but they are just that. Opinion...... and not one actually shared by everyone. Get it yet? Saying a player is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of others with absolutely no evidence or history of such stellar performances is -as I said - not really capable of standing up to scrutiny.

I think you've misunderstood what his point was. Go read where it first spawned from. I don't think he said he's miles better than Gilroy or Zebo only Kearney which at their best I must say I agree with. Kearney is nothing more than solid. Think it was somebody else said he was miles better.

for me the team would be:
    1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Moore
    4. O Connell
    5. Henderson
    6. Ferris (But realistically POM)
    7. O' Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Gilroy/Fitzgerald/Zebo
    12. Marshall
    13. Payne/Fitzgerald
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

16. Strauss 17. McGrath 18. Ross 19. Ryan 20. POM (Assuming he starts Henry), 21. Marmion 22. Jackson 23. Fitzgerald/Olding

Others I'd expect to be knocking around would be Cronin x2, Toner, Fitzpatrick, Ruddock, O Donnell, Murphy, McGrath, Hanrahan, Madigan, Earls.
    Obviously cannot all go and there will be somebody not on our radar now who will make a push. Autumn 2015 is ages away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement