Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

I think James Hart, SH from Grenoble might well be in the mix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Do you think there is a chance a relative unknown could come on the scene before now then? George North was only 19 when he played in the WC and was surely somewhat unknown 2 years prior to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Grimebox wrote: »
    Do you think there is a chance a relative unknown could come on the scene before now then? George North was only 19 when he played in the WC and was surely somewhat unknown 2 years prior to that.

Impossible to tell really. I suppose there's some players that could break into the squad over night. But in reality North took a while to become more than a bosh merchant. He sprang up over night because of his size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

always a chance...

I realise how silly my question was now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

To be fair tho, North was known throughout schools rugby in the UK. Obviously we wouldn't have heard of him here but he definitely didn't come out of nowhere. If there was an Irish equivalent we'd have heard about him (especially given how we hear about guys like Brewer when theyre so young).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

I don't think that tries should be discounted simply because of the team they were scored againsed because some of them have been excellent tries. Gilroy danced through the Argentina defence to score a great try and zebo's was a great finish in the corner. Dave kearneys score in the corner againsed samoa however was a world class finish. It's unfair IMO to simply discount tries because they weren't scored againsed the very best teams because these were all brilliant tries that even the top teams may not have prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I was reading through this thread and there was a few posters mentioning Considine for tighthead, what ever happened to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I was reading through this thread and there was a few posters mentioning Considine for tighthead, what ever happened to him?
    Moved to play Back-Row, mainly at 8, and hasn't been near Young Munsters AIL team since. Is playing Senior Seconds Level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

15. R. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Payne
    12. Marshal
    11. FitzGerald
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray

1. Healy
    2. Best (think he's be unreal of late - we'll see how Strauss goes when he gets fully back)
    3. Moore
    4. Toner
    5. POC? (He'll be 36 around then...too old? time will tell) otherwise Tuohy/McCarthy/Henderson may be a starting lock at Ulster soon
    6. POM (Pure class recently) Ferris? (really hope he'll be in the mix by then) Ruddock will have a job displacing POM at 6 anyway
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip

16. Cronin/Varley
    17. McGrath/Kilcoyne
    18. Archer (can he get his scrummaging right?) Tadhg Furlong? Looked strong v Zebre (possible considering the speed of Moore's rise)
    19. Henderson
    20. Ruddock/TOD/Jordi
    21. Marmion, Hart? Cooney?
    22. Looks like Jackson atm, Madigan looked smooth over the weekend, JJ could be a serious contender
    23. Earls/Gilroy/Zebo/Ferg/DK/Trimble/Henshaw - We really have an embarrassment of riches in this area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Just for a laugh I was looking at my team that I posted at the start of this thread (three years ago mind)

Kearney (Got one right!)
    Bowe (Prob still be there)
    O' Malley (retired )
    Spence :( Poor Nevin, RIP
    Conway (Hasn't really worked out for him lately)
    Sexton (Will be there)
    Murray (Nailed on)
    Heaslip (Nailed on )
    O Brien (Nailed on)
    O Mahoney (Will be battling there with Ferris)
    Nagle (Massive disappointment)
    Tuohy (Good chance of being in the squad)
    Healy (Nailed on)
    Cronin (Should be in squad)
    Hagan (Not much of a chance at this stage

Strauss/Sherry (Strauss should travel, injury has really set Sherry back), couldn't call, couldn't call, P Butler (Not happening!!), Mcgrath (not happening!), Keatley (not out of the realms of possibility, Earls (He'll be starting I reckon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Could make it interesting and make a little game out of it

With regards the 23-man squad for France match WC 2015
    Submit entry and look back during week of game

Scoring System
    +3 Points if selected player has correct jersey number
    +2 Points if selected player is playing with a different number* (eg you select Henshaw at 13 but he starts 15)
    +1 Point if you select a player to start but he is on the bench and vice versa
    0 points if left blank
    -1 Point if selected player (starting or bench) is not in matchday 23 but is in WC Squad
    -2 Points if selected player (starting or bench) fails to make WC Squad

*only applies if you select player to start and he starts in another position. Similarly if you select a player to bench.eg wearing 18 but ends up being 19(eg Henderson as lock replacement or back-row)

(there could be holes in this system, I really just made it up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conorsinnott

Its crazy looking at some of the peidctions made 3 years ago.

Prediction by Opening Poster:

15. Felix Jones//Will go but with Kearny in the way really won't start
    14. Andrew Conway//Lost form and has had injuries. Also Ireland very strong in wingers. No way he will go
    13. Nevin Spence// RIP
    12. Fergus McFadden// I think he will go but as a utility back on the bench
    11. Keith Earls// No way.Fallen down the pecking order horrnedously. Someone even preidcted this in the first 10 posts. rates to them
    10. Jonathan Sexton// dead set
    9. Luke McGrath// Can't see it happening
    8. Jamie Heaslip (c)// dead cert
    7. Dominic Ryan// nah not with the backrow option currently available
    6. Sean O'Brien// if he stays fit
    5. Dan Tuohy// Bench most likely
    4. Ian Nagle// oh my word. I completely forgotten about him. On loan at Newcastle can't get near the munster team, let alone ireland
    3. Jamie Hagan// Nah the irish prop pool has grown dramatically. IE moore, j.mcgrath to name a few. Plus he playing for the exiles now
    2. Richard Strauss// get a good run f form on and he can challenge best for a starting berth
    1. Cian Healy// no one going to remove him from his place

16. Sean Cronin// yes will stay right there, subbing on every match at the 50/60 minute mark.
    17. Jack O'Connell// he fact that he has just moved to bristol says it all
    18. Stewart Maguire// playing for esher in the 3rd tier of english rugby. tells the tale itself
    19. Dave O'Callaghan// meh no real chance.
    20. Rhys Ruddock// i reckon he will get there. in a really good position at the moment being exposed to first team rugby
    21. Conor Murray// will be starting in RWC
    22. JJ Hanrahan// sexton, madigan and jackson will be the flyhalfs bought over the irish sea and no more will be needed
    23. Eoin Griffin// hasnt quite reached his full potential yet. Moving to the Exiles end of the 2013/14 season

My prediction for the 22 man squad:

1.cian Healy
    2.rory best
    3.mike ross
    4.devin toner
    5.mike mcarthy
    6.peter o'mahony
    7.sean o'brien
    8.jamie heaslip

9.conor murray
    10.jonny sexton
    11. tommy bowe
    12. jared payne
    13. robbiehenshaw
    14. andrew trimble
    15. rob kearney

16. sean cronin
    17. marty moore
    18. jack mcgrath
    19. steven ferris
    20. dan tuohy
    21. ian madigan
    22. dave kearney/ fergus mcfadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

11. Keith Earls// No way.Fallen down the pecking order horrnedously. Someone even preidcted this in the first 10 posts. rates to them

:pac:

The only thing that will keep Earls off the plane is injury. Our best winger along with Bowe, and he could yet be involved at 13 if Munster don't make a signing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In fairness, it's not like he's guaranteed a spot on the plane if he's fit (which is a good thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

:pac:

The only thing that will keep Earls off the plane is injury. Our best winger along with Bowe, and he could yet be involved at 13 if Munster don't make a signing there.

1:Trimble's been better than Earls all season.

2:Dear God,not Earls at 13 again.He's never going to be anything more than a stopgap,and the summer tour is the time to find out what Henshaw is made of.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    1:Trimble's been better than Earls all season.

2:Dear God,not Earls at 13 again.He's never going to be anything more than a stopgap,and the summer tour is the time to find out what Henshaw is made of.

Both been very good. Not sure if you could say one has been much better than the other over the course of a season though

Hagz wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not like he's guaranteed a spot on the plane if he's fit (which is a good thing).

On current form he would be. Or at least should be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think there have been a number of better players on the wing than Earls this season but he'd be a great squad player and is certainly a bloody mile off "definitely not travelling" territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would agree that if the squad were picked now he would be on the plane. But Fitzgerald, Zebo and McFadden have had interrupted seasons with injuries. If everyone stays fit next season, there's no guarantee of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its crazy looking at some of the peidctions made 3 years ago.

Prediction by Opening Poster:

15. Felix Jones//Will go but with Kearny in the way really won't start
    14. Andrew Conway//Lost form and has had injuries. Also Ireland very strong in wingers. No way he will go
    13. Nevin Spence// RIP
    12. Fergus McFadden// I think he will go but as a utility back on the bench
    10. Jonathan Sexton// dead set
    9. Luke McGrath// Can't see it happening
    8. Jamie Heaslip (c)// dead cert
    7. Dominic Ryan// nah not with the backrow option currently available
    6. Sean O'Brien// if he stays fit
    5. Dan Tuohy// Bench most likely
    4. Ian Nagle// oh my word. I completely forgotten about him. On loan at Newcastle can't get near the munster team, let alone ireland
    3. Jamie Hagan// Nah the irish prop pool has grown dramatically. IE moore, j.mcgrath to name a few. Plus he playing for the exiles now
    2. Richard Strauss// get a good run f form on and he can challenge best for a starting berth
    1. Cian Healy// no one going to remove him from his place

16. Sean Cronin// yes will stay right there, subbing on every match at the 50/60 minute mark.
    17. Jack O'Connell// he fact that he has just moved to bristol says it all
    18. Stewart Maguire// playing for esher in the 3rd tier of english rugby. tells the tale itself
    19. Dave O'Callaghan// meh no real chance.
    20. Rhys Ruddock// i reckon he will get there. in a really good position at the moment being exposed to first team rugby
    21. Conor Murray// will be starting in RWC
    22. JJ Hanrahan// sexton, madigan and jackson will be the flyhalfs bought over the irish sea and no more will be needed
    23. Eoin Griffin// hasnt quite reached his full potential yet. Moving to the Exiles end of the 2013/14 season

My prediction for the 22 man squad:

1.cian Healy
    2.rory best
    3.mike ross
    4.devin toner
    5.mike mcarthy
    6.peter o'mahony
    7.sean o'brien
    8.jamie heaslip

9.conor murray
    10.jonny sexton
    11. tommy bowe
    12. jared payne
    13. robbiehenshaw
    14. andrew trimble
    15. rob kearney

16. sean cronin
    17. marty moore
    18. jack mcgrath
    19. steven ferris
    20. dan tuohy
    21. ian madigan
    22. dave kearney/ fergus mcfadden
    Isnt that crazy considering the timeframe from when thread started to now.
    On your team. Mike McCarthy wont be in second row. O Connell will be there. Rest of pack I agree with. On Mike Mc I think he'll be also behind a few others like DR, IH, DT,
    Payne if involved wont be at 12 with Henshaw 13. Think Darcy/Marshall will be at 12.
    Think Paddy Jackson will bench but that's very even between him and IM at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It's not being selected now though

I'd be surprised if he didn't go particularly with the momentum he has built this season but last seasons six nations he was behind both Zebo and Gilroy, momentum is huge.

With players like Kearney, Bowe, Fitz, Earls, Trimble, Zebo, McFadden to pick from in the back 3 surely someone there will be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's not being selected now though

I'd be surprised if he didn't go particularly with the momentum he has built this season but last seasons six nations he was behind both Zebo and Gilroy, momentum is huge.

With players like Kearney, Bowe, Fitz, Earls, Trimble, Zebo, McFadden to pick from in the back 3 surely someone there will be disappointed

Was he behind them?

Kearney and McFadden aren't at the same level as the others. I would have grouped Trimble with them, but he is in great form and has seemed to cut most of the silly errors out of his game; I'd still say that he has quite a limited skill-set though.

Was he behind them?

Kearney and McFadden aren't at the same level as the others. I would have grouped Trimble with them, but he is in great form and has seemed to cut most of the silly errors out of his game; I'd still say that he has quite a limited skill-set though.

Yes, he sat on the bench behind them in the opening two games and only came in when Zebo got injured.

I was talking about Rob Kearney not Dave. I wasn't even counting players like D Kearney and Gilroy. I would have had Trimble and McFadden in a lesser category but they've been outstanding in their Ireland appearances and injury is the main reason McFadden hasn't had a similar season to Trimble imo, every time was looked great (for Ireland, against Toulon) he gets injured. He's also the type of player Schmidt likes and offers great squad cover 11-14.

He'd be trailing at the moment but that fact in itself shows how competitive the back 3 positions will be, obviously if Trimble keeps up his form he'd be massively hard to ignore, "limited skill set" or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

funny comparison with myself:D
    connachta wrote: »
    15 Earls unlikely
    14 Gilroy possible
    13 Olding too soon
    12 Mc Sharry same RWV 2019
    11 Conway disgrace
    10 Sexton ok
    9 Marmion Has a good chance, I'm one of the few to have predicted
    8 Heaslip yep
    7 D.Ryan too soon
    6 SOB if fit
    5 Muldowney was my underdog!
    4 Handerson maybe 3rd choice next year
    3 Furlong too soon
    2 Sherry behind Cronin and Best
    1 Healy Yes!

16 Harris Wright too light
    17 Jack McGrath Yeaaaah
    18 John Andress No
    19 Donnacha Ryan might be
    20 Jordi Murphy wait and see
    21 Murray yes
    22 Madigan yes
    23 Poolman injuries disrupted him

Don't be immoderatly conservative guys, 2015 RWC will take place in more than two years, the new coach have a lot of time to make shine promising players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'll have a go...obviously in pure speculation, I would be shocked if anybody's team was any more than 70% correct.

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Tommy Bowe
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. JJ Hanrahan
    11. Keith Earls
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best
    3. Jamie Hagan (I actually have no idea who will step up but surely someone will)
    4. Ian Henderson
    5. Paul O'Connell
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Mike Sherry
    17. Dave Kilcoyne
    18. Mike Ross
    19. Donncha Ryan
    20. Dominic Ryan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ian Madigan/Paddy Jackson
    23. Luke Fitzgerald/Andrew Conway/Simon Zebo

I'm not sure Ferris will make it...Griffin is the best young 13 in Ireland imo. Hanrahan is only in because of a real dearth at 12. Marshall is the other player that comes to mind, but I have no idea whether he has the ability to step up, this should have been his breakthrough year. Madigan at 12 is another option which I wouldn't be surprised to see.

Don't think BOD will make it, I think he'll finish with a Lions tour, but POC might, but again it's injury-dependent.

Mine was only 2 years ago, but it's not impossible. My faith in Griffin was probably my biggest mistake, it looks more like Henshaw/Cave/Payne will replace BOD.

Also doubt Dom Ryan will be the bencher- TOD, Henry, Murphy or Ruddock are more likely now- although Ruddock's season this year shows how quickly you can come into the reckoning.

Hagan at 3... probably not, but Ross might still be going.

And JJ at 12 isn't an impossibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Mine was only 2 years ago, but it's not impossible. My faith in Griffin was probably my biggest mistake, it looks more like Henshaw/Cave/Payne will replace BOD.

Also doubt Dom Ryan will be the bencher- TOD, Henry, Murphy or Ruddock are more likely now- although Ruddock's season this year shows how quickly you can come into the reckoning.

Hagan at 3... probably not, but Ross might still be going.

And JJ at 12 isn't an impossibility.

JJ in the 23 is a possibility. At 12 I doubt it, unless we go for a 6/2 split against Italy and there is an injury to #12? Darcy(doubt it), Marshall, Olding(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

People do realise the world cup is only over 12 months away so putting a load of untested players in is just fantasy stuff. Only surprises will be due to injuries and some starters form. Likely new faces will be in the backs at 13 and maybe 12 but I doubt it. Schmit has played most of the players he's considering.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    People do realise the world cup is only over 12 months away so putting a load of untested players in is just fantasy stuff. Only surprises will be due to injuries and some starters form. Likely new faces will be in the backs at 13 and maybe 12 but I doubt it. Schmit has played most of the players he's considering.

In reality Earls will come back into the squad, Bowe obviously, Payne perhaps.

Cave and JJ, probably? Marshall will be pushing too for the squad...

right now, I see Copeland as the only currently uncapped player in the squad going to RWC15

I hope there's another bolter or two, though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Two years ago. I think I lost it with the bench.
    15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. AN Other
    11. Zebo
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray
    8. Heaslip
    7. POM
    6. SOB
    5. POC
    4. Ryan
    3. Ross
    2. Best
    1. Healy

16. Strauss
    17. McAllister
    18. Furlong
    19. Toner
    20. Ryan
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. Payne

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Two years ago. I think I lost it with the bench.

I'd say that 23 will be closer than most. McGrath and Fitz in and I'd be happy.

PS I just realised that "Fit(z)" is the most ironic nickname possible for Luke:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Tommy Bowe
    13. J Payne
    12. Marshall/Olding
    11. Trimble
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best
    3. Martin Moore
    4. I Henderson/D Toner
    5. Paul O'Connell
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Peter O'Mahony/Ferris
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. R Strauss
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Mike Ross (if he's still going well)
    19. Donncha Ryan/I Henderson
    20. Chris Henry
    21. Marmion
    22. Paddy Jackson
    23. Luke Fitzgerald/Simon Zebo

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    15. Rob Kearney
    14. Tommy Bowe
    13. J Payne
    12. Marshall/Olding
    11. Trimble
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best
    3. Martin Moore
    4. I Henderson/D Toner
    5. Paul O'Connell
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Peter O'Mahony/Ferris
    8. Jamie Heaslip

16. R Strauss
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Mike Ross (if he's still going well)
    19. Donncha Ryan/I Henderson
    20. Chris Henry
    21. Marmion
    22. Paddy Jackson
    23. Luke Fitzgerald/Simon Zebo

19. Henderson
    20. Ruddock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

rockbeast wrote: »
    19. Henderson
    20. Ruddock

Yeah, for me it was tough to leave out Ruddock. If he really nails down his place at leinster then he should make the WC squad.

Same for Marmion. He could either make the squad or fall away completely. Next season is critical that he really kicks on a bit.

also, Marshall is not nailed on for me. I personally think olding is a better player and offers more. Just depends if Olding returns from injury ready to go!

The competition in the back row is going to be pretty fierce. We can assume that, if fit, Heaslip, SOB, POM and Ferris will definitely go. I think we can expect Henry to go then too. Anyone else is very likely to be left at home (Ruddock, TOD etc.). I'd expect Henderson to travel as a guy who can cover lock and flanker.

It's a similar scenario in the second row. If we take that POC, Toner and Ryan are the options with Henderson to travel as a dual player, everyone else is left behind. Tuohy, McCarthy, DOC all out in the cold.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Yeah, for me it was tough to leave out Ruddock. If he really nails down his place at leinster then he should make the WC squad.

Same for Marmion. He could either make the squad or fall away completely. Next season is critical that he really kicks on a bit.

also, Marshall is not nailed on for me. I personally think olding is a better player and offers more. Just depends if Olding returns from injury ready to go!

I did have Olding with a ! a few posts up:)

Who knows if some of these young lads' bodies will last until October 2015? Especially in the backs...

Buer wrote: »
    It's a similar scenario in the second row. If we take that POC, Toner and Ryan are the options with Henderson to travel as a dual player, everyone else is left behind. Tuohy, McCarthy, DOC all out in the cold.

Yeah, i think Ryan is the only proper "enforcer" we have now. Thought MMcC was one, but no:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

An angry face does not an enforcer make.

Hype710 wrote: »
    An angry face does not an enforcer make.

The last ruck before half-time in 2012, Paddy's Day Twickenham, check out his clearance that won us a peno.

A one man gang

And I'm a Leinster supporter.

Trust me, DR is hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

While no great prediction, if a player has yet to play for Ireland by the conclusion of the Argentina tour, it's fair to say they won't feature in RWC 15...

Berticus wrote: »
    While no great prediction, if a player has yet to play for Ireland by the conclusion of the Argentina tour, it's fair to say they won't feature in RWC 15...

Payne..?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Payne..?

Ha:)

I am actually listening to an old playlist now while on the PC.

Adrenaline by Bush was playing as I read this page.

"You don't even feel the (Payne) pain!

Synchronicity or what?:D

I'd love to see Zebo not travel just for the inevitable sh!t storm that would follow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Berticus wrote: »

Payne for one and I would imagine that 3rd choice prop on either side is still open enough with a number of uncapped players in contention.. Every other position I would agree witha number of uncapped players in contention.

I'd love to see Zebo not travel just for the inevitable sh!t storm that would follow :pac:

How about he sorts out his defending and becomes the world class player we know he can be?

18 months is a long long time in rugby...He has time

***Leinster fan here but, as I do for Madigan, I see something different in the lad.

Le joie de vivre/rugby:)

Unfortunately, for a player, rugby success is predicated upon meeting the right coach at the right time...

Neither Zebo nor Madigan suit their coaches at this point in time IMO:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

rockbeast wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for a player, rugby success is predicated upon meeting the right coach at the right time... favourable circumstances during individual games.

: DDDD

To be honest, I'd say it's strongly against him going right now. There's limited places and other wingers are in great form.

With 30 man squads, they will have, at most, 14 backs. You can give 5 of those spots to half backs. So 9 players to cover 11-15. All being fit, we would have to assume that D'Arcy, Bowe, Rob Kearney and Andrew Trimble are pretty nailed on at this point. I think we can expect Payne to go too. We're down to 4 spots between Earls, McFadden, Zebo, Cave, Dave Kearney, Fitzgerald and Henshaw.

Based on what we've seen so far and the overall form of players, there's a pretty strong case to assume that Zebo is not in the top 4 from those players. A lot will be revealed in the coming weeks when the Argentina squad is named.

A big problem for Zebo is that, in a limited squad, they'll want guys who can play other positions. Zebo has played 3 professional games at 15 and every other game at 11. Dave Kearney, arguably the least versatile of the remaining players and a Schmidt favourite, has 13 starts at full back, 23 on the right wing and 29 on the left wing.

He's by no means out of the running but he needs to have a big few weeks starting immediately to ensure he goes to Argentina. If he doesn't go, the odds of him going to the RWC are really against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

If D'Arcy plays, would he be the first to play in 5 World Cups or has that been done before?

19543261 wrote: »
    : DDDD

Now that's harsh and unwarranted...

And what you said about Zebo too:D

Superbus wrote: »
    If D'Arcy plays, would he be the first to play in 5 World Cups or has that been done before?

Did a flying (shoulder!) Fijian not do that in '07?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement