Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 UlsterRMan

Hmm Henderson is has got potential yeah, but he's hardly the tallest now even if he is dynamic. Toner's become quite the player this season and is arguably, based on the 6N at least, the in form lock in the Europe right now. With Henderson we'll only really have two options in the lineout, with Toner we have three and a fairly good chance of stealing opposition ball with him and POC working together.

Henderson is over 6foot6, taller than POC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Grimebox wrote: »
    I can't see Toner falling out of favour entirely
    Not being named doesn't mean falling completely out of favour but he will be involved
    bilston wrote: »
    The starting point should be the team that just won the Six Nations. I reckon Joe will broadly stick with that group.

SOB comes in obviously, but where? The back row was very balanced in the 6Ns, I wouldn't be too quick to drop Henry although that is the most likely outcome.

We need a replacement for BOD. The next best 13 in Ireland is Cave but Joe seems to have other ideas. It looks like it could be Henshaw as the favoured one and Payne is fancied at 13 too. Do we need to replace D'Arcy? 12 months ago I'd have said yes, now I would say no. Marshall hasn't kicked on (at least not for Ulster).

Then there is Bowe. Well to be fair Trimble has earned the 14 jersey by right for now, but nothing is nailed on as far as the wings go. I've said it loads of times I'd love to see Tommy at 13. But he won't get that chance at Ulster.

Then there are the kids. I've mentioned Henshaw, bit don't forget Hanrahan and Olding.

Anyway its an impossible task to pick a 23 right now, and knowing JS it will change from game to game anyway
    Impossible but sure why not?
    Think Henry is most likely to drop but it will vary on next season
    Hanrahan has plenty to go. Olding/Hanrahan have to nail down first choice places before having any hope.
    Way too many options for any wing to be nailed on and all have lot to play for
    Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Deciding which 2 to play between SOB, Ferris & POM at 6 & 7 will prove a very arduous task for Schmidt. I also think Jordi M will have a decent enough chance of getting in with a shout (at 6,7 or 8). He has this summer, and the 6 nations to really prove himself.
    Think TOD has as much a shot as Jordi M and can cover across backrow but primarily on the flank.
    Hmm Henderson is has got potential yeah, but he's hardly the tallest now even if he is dynamic. Toner's become quite the player this season and is arguably, based on the 6N at least, the in form lock in the Europe right now. With Henderson we'll only really have two options in the lineout, with Toner we have three and a fairly good chance of stealing opposition ball with him and POC working together.
    Henderson is 6'6 at least so height isn't a issue and certainly picking him doesn't affect the lineout. You have a lot more than 2 options with picking Henderson.

I don't think Murphy/TOD will have much of a chance, Henry/SOB further ahead of them and don't look like falling off before 2015.

Donnacha Ryan needs to stay healthy for longer than one game if he is going to be a serious threat, Schmidt obviously likes him as a player though. In a similar boat to Ferris and Fitzgerald at the moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

UlsterRMan wrote: »
    Henderson is over 6foot6, taller than POC.

How talls Toner again?

I thought he was 6'4" for some reason. Either way, having Toner at 6'10" who is in the form of his life shouldn't be dropped if he keeps it up. Likewise Henderson should be on the bench as we only gain whether he enters a match at 4 or 6.

How talls Toner again?

I thought he was 6'4" for some reason. Either way, having Toner at 6'10" who is in the form of his life shouldn't be dropped if he keeps it up. Likewise Henderson should be on the bench as we only gain whether he enters a match at 4 or 6.

I was simply stating that the idea that Henderson is too small and offers nothing at lineout time is wrong.

Personally i'd start Toner with Henderson on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Toner is crucial to our set piece now. Between O'Connell (obviously starting), Henderson, Ryan and possibly Tuohy we have the perfect foils around the park, so as long as Toner is strong defensively and doesn't weaken the scrum he doesn't need to be a big carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Toner is crucial to our set piece now. Between O'Connell (obviously starting), Henderson, Ryan and possibly Tuohy we have the perfect foils around the park, so as long as Toner is strong defensively and doesn't weaken the scrum he doesn't need to be a big carrier.

SOB back obviously helps our carrying significantly. I still thought at times our pack didn't have enough carrying in it even in the 6N.

I was simply stating that the idea that Henderson is too small and offers nothing at lineout time is wrong.

Personally i'd start Toner with Henderson on the bench.

Sorry if it came across as narky! Fact is I actually posted the first bit of the question as I thought he was somewhere between 6'8" and 6"11' then I wiki'ed it and put in the correct info for the second part.

Hard to believe only such a short while ago I was watching Hendo play in the junior world cup. The boys come on far physicality wise, and was no weakling back then either. He was a star of the tournament.

danthefan wrote: »
    SOB back obviously helps our carrying significantly. I still thought at times our pack didn't have enough carrying in it even in the 6N.

I reckon we think of our pack as being short of ball carriers as other teams seem to have more options to bash their way up the field than us. The reason for that could be because we field much leaner backs than our counterparts. Every other major team seems to have some beast in their outside backs somewhere. NZ have an abundance at centre with Nonu, SBW, even in the Super rugby Fruen, Toeava its ridiculous. SA speak for themselves. Eng -> Tuilagi. France -> Basta/Rougerie, Fritz and Fickou are not exactly anorexic either. Wales speak for themselves.

We don't even have one remotely big player after 7.

I reckon we think of our pack as being short of ball carriers as other teams seem to have more options to bash their way up the field than us. The reason for that could be because we field much leaner backs than our counterparts. Every other major team seems to have some beast in their outside backs somewhere. NZ have an abundance at centre with Nonu, SBW, even in the Super rugby Fruen, Toeava its ridiculous. SA speak for themselves. Eng -> Tuilagi. France -> Basta/Rougerie, Fritz and Fickou are not exactly anorexic either. Wales speak for themselves.

We don't even have one remotely big player after 7.

Heaslip certainly isn't a small 8, at 6'4 110kg.
    Murray is big 9.
    Sexton is a pretty big 10.
    Trimble/Bowe are big wingers at 6'4 and 6'3.
    Kearney isn't a small 15 at 6'1 95kg.

• Advertisement

Heaslip certainly isn't a small 8, at 6'4 110kg.
    Murray is big 9.
    Sexton is a pretty big 10.
    Trimble/Bowe are big wingers at 6'4 and 6'3.
    Kearney isn't a small 15 at 6'1 95kg.

They're big so they won't get bullied, but they're not <I> big </I> . Trimble and Bowe are big as you say but they're not a Rene Ranger or a North, Folau or even a Cuthbert when it comes to physicality out wide. They're strong enough for putting in a great defensive effort and not getting beasted per se, but apart from that their strength is nothing to brag about.

We do lack and out and out barging back ala Nonu, Basta, Tuilagi etc.

so we don't have a big centre, sure we haven't had one of them in over a decade..
    still if the 20 year old versions of Darcy and BOD were to become available for the next decade i'd take them again. the game of rugby is about more than size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

so we don't have a big centre, sure we haven't had one of them in over a decade..
    still if the 20 year old versions of Darcy and BOD were to become available for the next decade i'd take them again. the game of rugby is about more than size.

This.

More than one way to skin a cat, and I'd take a pair of footballers in the midfield, with a competent gameplan, over boshing it up the middle, any day of the week.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This.

More than one way to skin a cat, and I'd take a pair of footballers in the midfield, with a competent gameplan, over boshing it up the middle, any day of the week.

Ah now I don't disagree with this. But the original point is that we lack a ball carrier if you'll refer to a few posts back. Even thought the centres work absolutely fine without a big ball carrier, maybe the team itself could use one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It really is.

I mean would you take

Giteau or Roberts
    Conrad Smith or Basteraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It really is.

I mean would you take

Giteau or Roberts
    easy on 2nd one Smith all day harder to say on first option.
    The game is more than just physical size.

It really is.

I mean would you take

Giteau or Roberts

Roberts suits Gattyball but he mightn't be so effective working to say a Schmidt gameplan.

Smith and Basteraud is a tough one IMO. Completely different players but both very effective. Basteraud is less consistent but then he is a fairly volatile character so for that alone I'd prefer Smith but in Paris against us he looked unstoppable at times and at the top of his game is lethal.

But yes the fact is it isn't clear cut in either example so size certainly isn't everything.

It really is.

I mean would you take

Giteau or Roberts

Smith or Nonu?
    Fourie or Tuilagi?

I'm a huge fan of the skillful small centres, infact I prefer them over the bulky lads anyday. But the original point was that we need more ball carriers, and the centre's is obviously a play to put one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Roberts suits Gattyball but he mightn't be so effective working to say a Schmidt gameplan.

Smith and Basteraud is a tough one IMO. Completely different players but both very effective. Basteraud is less consistent but then he is a fairly volatile character so for that alone I'd prefer Smith but in Paris against us he looked unstoppable at times and at the top of his game is lethal.

But yes the fact is it isn't clear cut in either example so size certainly isn't everything.

No it's not Bilston! A complete centre vs a 1-dimensional bash machine that for whatever reason Leinster and then Ireland have not been able to work out a defensive strategy for. In 20 years time when people are asked to list the top 10 centres of the professional era Smith & BOD will be there but not Basteraud.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No it's not Bilston! A complete centre vs a 1-dimensional bash machine that for whatever reason Leinster and then Ireland have not been able to work out a defensive strategy for. In 20 years time when people are asked to list the top 10 centres of the professional era Smith & BOD will be there but not Basteraud.

I did say I say prefer Smith, but the last couple of times I've seen Basteraud he has torn his opponents asunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gosullivan89

I think Zebo may very well have pushed his way into Joe's 23. His defensive play has come a long way in the past few months, particularly the Toulon game, he was immense..... Joint top tackler at 11 tackles and 0 missed inclucing a try saver when armitage was pretty much over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mulliansg

He also had a howler in a pro 12 game. When zero is turned on and focused he is very good, but he often doesn't put the effort in

mulliansg wrote: »
    He also had a howler in a pro 12 game. When zero is turned on and focused he is very good, but he often doesn't put the effort in

very true, but that's the same for a lot of players, even Bowe has had some terrible games.

I think Zebo may very well have pushed his way into Joe's 23. His defensive play has come a long way in the past few months, particularly the Toulon game, he was immense..... Joint top tackler at 11 tackles and 0 missed inclucing a try saver when armitage was pretty much over the line.

The problem for Zebo is that he is one of a few contenders. Trimble is deservedly ahead at the moment, then you have Bows and Zebo, plus Dave Kearney, McFadden and Earls. There is a lot of competition and is he ahead of Trimble, Bowe or Earls?

That said he was excellent against Toulon. Hopefully he will get a shot in one of the tests but its a very competitive area

The problem for Zebo is that he is one of a few contenders. Trimble is deservedly ahead at the moment, then you have Bows and Zebo, plus Dave Kearney, McFadden and Earls. There is a lot of competition and is he ahead of Trimble, Bowe or Earls?

That said he was excellent against Toulon. Hopefully he will get a shot in one of the tests but its a very competitive area

Yeah and incredibly competitive area which is great, we had such quality on the wing who didn't play during the 6 nations yet we still won, Backrow is in a similar boar with SOB, Fez, POM, Ryan, hendo, henry, ruddock, TOD etc etc.

Ireland are in a very good place at the moment. There isn't a position where i would say we are weak anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Really wish Craig Gilroy would re-capture his form of last season.Can be deadly on his day.

funtime93 wrote: »
    Really wish Craig Gilroy would re-capture his form of last season.Can be deadly on his day.

He was excellent on Saturday at FB, hopefully he has a big season next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

So, with only just over a year and maybe only 10 games until the RWC, where do we stand? This would be my 30-man squad, as of now and assuming everyone is fit.

Props (5): Healy, McGrath, Kilcoyne, Ross, Moore
    Hooker (3): Best, Cronin, Strauss
    Second-row (4): POC, Toner, Henderson, Ryan
    Back-row (5): Heaslip, POM, SOB, Henry, Ruddock
    SH (3): Murray, Reddan, Marmion
    OH (3): Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    Centres (3): D'Arcy, Marshall, Payne
    Back-three (4): R Kearney, Fitzgerald, Trimble, Bowe

This means guys like Tuohy, Jordi Murphy, Earls, Zebo, McFadden and Dave Kearney would all miss out! Then again, the chances of there being no injuries are zero so gaps will open up.

There are a couple of dark horses, like Olding or Hanrahan, but I'd expect it to resemble something along those lines, anyone who hasn't been involved in the national squad so far is going to need an enormous season to force their way in.

The big question is still who plays at 13; I initially had Cave in there but I just can't see him going. I expect to see a lot more of Payne there this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fourie or Tuilagi?

In fairness, both of those lads are tanks. Tuilagi is a monster in terms of his weight but Fourie would be far bigger than most centres in the game.

• Advertisement

So, with only just over a year and maybe only 10 games until the RWC, where do we stand? This would be my 30-man squad, as of now and assuming everyone is fit.

This means guys like Tuohy, Jordi Murphy, Earls, Zebo, McFadden and Dave Kearney would all miss out! Then again, the chances of there being no injuries are zero so gaps will open up.

There are a couple of dark horses, like Olding or Hanrahan, but I'd expect it to resemble something along those lines, anyone who hasn't been involved in the national squad so far is going to need an enormous season to force their way in.

The big question is still who plays at 13; I initially had Cave in there but I just can't see him going. I expect to see a lot more of Payne there this season.

I think we'll see Dave Kearney ahead of Fitz and also Henshaw in the center ahead of marshall, Darcy will cover 12, as can Madigan. Agree with the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume the squad will be increased to 31/32 to allow for the change to 2 replacement props. So you can probably add another TH at least.

Duncan Casey is my bolter. I think he'll be first choice at Munster next season and push on to Ireland contention.

I'm disappointed James Hart didn't get a look in with the emerging team. It would be handy to have another recognised goal kicker in the squad who isn't a 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Out of interest, why 3 LHs rather than 3 THs? A 30-man squad is quite limiting in that sense...

I'd be shocked if they weren't the back row to go if everyone was fit, same with the half-backs.

The back three is still the most competitive place, and I think if Earls is fit and in form he will be one of the 4... I don't know who instead of.

Big ask for Ryan to get back into the squad too, had an awful time with injuries lately.

And I agree with Thomond that Casey could be a bit of a bolter, I could also see Olding/JJ ahead of Madigan/Marshall depending on form.

I think we'll see Dave Kearney ahead of Fitz and also Henshaw in the center ahead of marshall, Darcy will cover 12, as can Madigan. Agree with the rest

Totally forgot about Henshaw actually. Hmmm. Agree that Marshall is vulnerable based on the last few months, and I'd expect Henshaw to get a run at 13 in November so he'll need to make the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why 3 LHs rather than 3 THs? A 30-man squad is quite limiting in that sense...

Ah sure McGrath can cover both sides (not).

Squad has to be increased imo and there will have to be six props.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

And I agree with Thomond that Casey could be a bit of a bolter, I could also see Olding/JJ ahead of Madigan/Marshall depending on form.

What's the story with Olding at the moment actually? Is he back in training?

• Advertisement

Mainly because we have 3 very good LHs but not so much at TH.

If, as suggested, the squad goes up to 31 then a sixth prop will go but I don't see any outstanding candidates;
    - Fitzpatrick is the best of them but just can't stay fit
    - Archer is still an unknown quantity in top-level rugby
    - If Ah You wasn't injured for the second test in Argentina, then his test career looks to be over before it really began.

If it came to it and a TH was needed at short notice, we might see Nathan White parachuted in...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Henshaw?

I agree with most of that, hadn't thought about it before but its insane that there would only be four back 3 places... Rob K, Payne, Fitzgerald, Trimble, Bowe, Earls, Zebo, McFadden, Dave Kearney.. into 4 places (although obviously Payne could go as a centre as you suggest).

Would consider Olding to have much more of a chance than JJ, hes been with the national team before and there will be much more of an opening in the centre than at outhalf, where the travelling 3 are pretty close to certain given Madigan's versatility, and Keatley is still hanging around at Munster

If, as suggested, the squad goes up to 31 then a sixth prop will go but I don't see any outstanding candidates;
    - If Ah You wasn't injured for the second test in Argentina, then his test career looks to be over before it really began.

If it came to it and a TH was needed at short notice, we might see Nathan White parachuted in...

No Tadhg Furlong?

I imagine we definitely would if Fitzpatrick wasn't fit.

I hear they make great parachutes in Cappamore.

• Advertisement

No Tadhg Furlong?

Nope. The world cup is going to come too soon for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What's the story with Olding at the moment actually? Is he back in training?

I'm sure he will back into full pre season soon.....he was back running in April so I'd imagine he's 100% by now, certainly will be by September anyway.

I expect big things from him and the one advantage to missing most of the season is he will come back a better athlete, based on pictures he's added a few kg's to the upper body which always helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Could see Ah You getting on the plane as fifth prop. As he is the only one who has proven his worth (at Rabo/HC level) at both LH and TH.

He isn't the third best LH, although he could be the second or third best TH by then.

I could see Joe bringing him as prop cover because of this.

Also, I simply refuse to cement Payne at 13 without him doing it at Ulster and in a few international games. Don't see how people can already place him at 13 before Henshaw and Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Could see Ah You getting on the plane as fifth prop. As he is the only one who has proven his worth (at Rabo/HC level) at both LH and TH.

He isn't the third best LH, although he could be the second or third best TH by then.

I could see Joe bringing him as prop cover because of this.

Also, I simply refuse to cement Payne at 13 without him doing it at Ulster and in a few international games. Don't see how people can already place him at 13 before Henshaw and Cave.

Don't think Payne is cemented anywhere but it's safe to say if he's fit he'll be travelling whether it be as a 13 or 15, and I think it's also safe to say Ireland will at least give him a chance to play his way into the 13 jersey

Nope. The world cup is going to come too soon for him.

You're probably right..although I wouldn't fully discount him; I mean where was Marty Moore a year ago? Stranger things have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's a good squad. Although personally I think Marshall won't be there if D'Arcy continues his form and Madigan keeps getting goes at 12. If you drop Marshall you can bring in Cave, which means we have a lot more movement in the back three with Payne covering. Or you could bring Henshaw, but he's still unproven at this level.

Also think we'll see McCarthy or Touhy instead of Ryan. He hasn't shown any of his 2011 form really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You're probably right..although I wouldn't fully discount him; I mean where was Marty Moore a year ago? Stranger things have happened

It would require Moore or Ross to be out for 6 months with injury for Furlong to get significant gametime and get ahead of them.

.ak wrote: »
    That's a good squad. Although personally I think Marshall won't be there if D'Arcy continues his form and Madigan keeps getting goes at 12. If you drop Marshall you can bring in Cave, which means we have a lot more movement in the back three with Payne covering. Or you could bring Henshaw, but he's still unproven at this level.

Also think we'll see McCarthy or Touhy instead of Ryan. He hasn't shown any of his 2011 form really.

I'd agree re: Ryan, if the World Cup was next month he wouldn't be going, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that injuries have restricted him and he just needs more game time.

Also agree re: Marshall, now that I think of it, having two dedicated 12s probably won't happen so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Despite having broken into the Munster and Irish teams, I still have to wonder if Ryan wouldn't have been better off going to England earlier in his career. He's 31 this year and, if injury continues to damage his chances, he could well see the impressive Dave Foley move ahead of him for Munster.

18 HEC starts and 15 international starts seems like a small return for a guy that has his talent.

Dave Foley has slotted in really well at Munster in Ryan's absence. In a RWC squad setting Ryan has the advantage of being considered as cover for blindside but he's unlikely to play there again with POM, Stander and TOD all options there for Munster.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement