Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Grimebox wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't think anyone did themselves any favours on the Argentina tour. I think Cave put his hand for 13 but that's about it.

I'd also say Ruddock showed he's a more than competent 6, possibly nailing down a bench position assuming POM fit

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jimbo94s

I'd also say Ruddock showed he's a more than competent 6, possibly nailing down a bench position assuming POM fit

Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jimbo94s wrote: »
    Zebo

I'm not sure Zebo did a huge amount tbh. Defensively he's shown improvements and he wasn't bad going forwards but some of his decision making was poor and he was about as useful at ruck time as a wet paper towel. He looked to get involved in a few rucks but when he got there you could see he had no idea what to do. He hasn't hurt his chances, but he hasn't staked a major claim either.

Henderson we all knew was capable and I think he really showed that. Even though it may be no surprise to us he still needed to do the work. The same with Ruddock after the season he has had. Both have now basically laid down a marker demanding more game time and will be looking to try and force their way into the starting XV.

Diack and Marmion made themselves viable options in the first test too, although may not have done quite enough to force their way into match day squads just yet. They have made sure to let the squad and the coaches know they are there though. Yes we learned that Cave is a real option at 13, but more importantly I think we learned that we probably need more of a playmaker at 12 like Marshall and that Cave doesn't fit that bill. We probably learned too that Ferg isn't a 13 (although I thought we had learned that at Leinster).

There's quite a lot to be taken from the tour overall, and what's most disappointing is the injuries that prevented us learning even more.

I think if all players are fit, the 23 will contain

6. POM
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    19. Henry

I think when choosing that 19 shirt, you have to factor into it the positions that the players on the pitch can cover.

In the below table, there's one combination I wouldn't be happy to see, and that's the Ruddock at 6, POM at 7 combo.

Henry Ruddock

POM Injured 6. SOB, 7.Henry, 8. Heaslip 6. Ruddock 7.SOB, 8. Heaslip
    SOB Injured 6. POM, 7. Henry, 8. Heaslip 6. Ruddock 7. POM 8. Heaslip
    Heaslip Injured 6. POM, 7. Henry, 8. SOB 6. Ruddock 7. SOB 8. POM

Given how SOB plays the game, injuries etc, I don't think that would be a horribly unlikely combination if Ruddock was chosen to bench.

I personally think that Ruddock would have to get himself ahead of POM into a starting role to get a 23 shirt (POM would not bench either in that case). I don't think there's room in a matchday 23 for two players that play predominantly at 6 (and POM also has more versatility as he could be trusted at 8, and would make a 7 in an emergency. Ruddock I feel would make an emergency 8, but would not be suitable at 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think if all players are fit, the 23 will contain

6. POM
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    19. Henry

I think when choosing that 19 shirt, you have to factor into it the positions that the players on the pitch can cover.

In the below table, there's one combination I wouldn't be happy to see, and that's the Ruddock at 6, POM at 7 combo.

Henry Ruddock

POM Injured 6. SOB, 7.Henry, 8. Heaslip 6. Ruddock 7.SOB, 8. Heaslip
    SOB Injured 6. POM, 7. Henry, 8. Heaslip 6. Ruddock 7. POM 8. Heaslip
    Heaslip Injured 6. POM, 7. Henry, 8. SOB 6. Ruddock 7. SOB 8. POM

Given how SOB plays the game, injuries etc, I don't think that would be a horribly unlikely combination if Ruddock was chosen to bench.

I personally think that Ruddock would have to get himself ahead of POM into a starting role to get a 23 shirt (POM would not bench either in that case). I don't think there's room in a matchday 23 for two players that play predominantly at 6.

You also need to factor into it that if TOD gets selected by Schmidt again his form is almost guaranteed to go through the roof. That's how it works right!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

bilston wrote: »
    Did Leader not score a try against Ulster back in April?

Shane Layden is a mystery to me. He looked a serious prospect at 20s level.

He's had a series of injuries, last year was basically a write off. Scored a number of tries for the under 20s in the six nations must be two years ago now. Really hope he pushes on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stripeypaint

bit late to this but here goes.
    15.R.Kearney
    14. A.Trimble
    13. G.Darcy
    12.I.Madigan
    11.S.Zebo
    10.J.Sexton
    9.C.Murray
    8.J.Heaslip
    7.P.O'Mahony
    6.S.O'Brien
    5.D.Toner
    4.P.O'Connell
    3.M.Ross
    2.R.Best
    1.C.Healy
    subs
    Cronin,McGrath,Strauss,Jackson,D.Kearney,I.Boss,Jennings,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just on the backrow discussion above, Henry is not a good bench option imo. His strengths lie overwhelmingly in defence, so if you need a bit of impact then he doesn't really provide it. Ruddock brings a lot of power from the bench and he's a really good lineout option.

Tbh I don't think it's beyond possibility that Ruddock will be starting come the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bit late to this but here goes.
    15.R.Kearney
    14. A.Trimble
    13. G.Darcy
    12.I.Madigan
    11.S.Zebo
    10.J.Sexton
    9.C.Murray
    8.J.Heaslip
    7.P.O'Mahony
    6.S.O'Brien
    5.D.Toner
    4.P.O'Connell
    3.M.Ross
    2.R.Best
    1.C.Healy
    subs
    Cronin,McGrath,Strauss,Jackson,D.Kearney,I.Boss,Jennings,
    Not a hope of that centre partnership. Pack good def be like that. Don't see McGrath as TH prop cover nor Jennings near Bench and who is your 2nd row on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stripeypaint

Pack good def be like that. Don't see McGrath as TH prop cover nor Jennings near Bench and who is your 2nd row on the bench?

I'm a back, I have no idea what Im doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

danthefan wrote: »
    Just on the backrow discussion above, Henry is not a good bench option imo. His strengths lie overwhelmingly in defence, so if you need a bit of impact then he doesn't really provide it. Ruddock brings a lot of power from the bench and he's a really good lineout option.

Tbh I don't think it's beyond possibility that Ruddock will be starting come the RWC.

Back row of POM, Henry and Heaslip pretty well during the six nations. Is continuing that with SOB as a real impact sub off the bench totally out of the question? I know it's probably crazy talk but it's silly season after all

Is continuing that with SOB as a real impact sub off the bench totally out of the question?

If SOB plays like he can play then it is completely out of the question, yes. He's a much better player than either Henry or POM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I'm a back, I have no idea what Im doing

That's no excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henry is a perfectly good bench option if SOB and POM are already on the pitch. Not that I even agree that he is solely a defensive O/S, but even if he was you need players like too in the last 15 minutes of a test match as well.

Back row of POM, Henry and Heaslip pretty well during the six nations. Is continuing that with SOB as a real impact sub off the bench totally out of the question? I know it's probably crazy talk but it's silly season after all

SOB is Ireland's best player so if fit he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think he will be but it's certainly a possibility. Since he had his hip surgery and came back in late 2012, he has gone from strength to strength, reminding us of the player he promised to be when he was 19 and the hottest prospect in the country.

He reminds me of Simon Easterby, a criminally underrated player by his detractors. Ruddock is strong in the line out, ferociously powerful and has a terrific engine. Still misses the odd tackle though.

His carrying has improved again and he has a surprising turn of pace for a man that resembles a JCB.

I can see him being a fixture in the Irish 23 within 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Henry is a perfectly good bench option if SOB and POM are already on the pitch. Not that I even agree that he is solely a defensive O/S, but even if he was you need players like too in the last 15 minutes of a test match as well.

A player of his quality is never a 'bad' option but he's competing with Ruddock or POM for that bench spot, he won't default to the bench because he's the 4th best backrower, he will need to bring something to the game the others won't. It will be horses for courses I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ruddock has been excellent this season and again in Argentina. His problem is that POM has shown his ability at international level which Ruddock has yet to do really; he'll get a chance alright, I'd expect him to start at least one game in November, whether he'll get enough game time to dislodge POM is another question (and he'd probably need POM to have a bit of a dip in form too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tox56 wrote: »
    A player of his quality is never a 'bad' option but he's competing with Ruddock or POM for that bench spot, he won't default to the bench because he's the 4th best backrower, he will need to bring something to the game the others won't. It will be horses for courses I think

Cover.

I'm not really sure that POM can cover 7 so there isn't room in the 23 for Ruddock and POM. If SOB is starting he can cover 6 and 8 so whoever is on the bench just needs to cover SOB.

That would be Henry.

• Advertisement

Ruddock has been excellent this season and again in Argentina. His problem is that POM has shown his ability at international level which Ruddock has yet to do really; he'll get a chance alright, I'd expect him to start at least one game in November, whether he'll get enough game time to dislodge POM is another question (and he'd probably need POM to have a bit of a dip in form too).

Thing is, we just need an injury to any of Heaslip, POM, Henry or SOB and I'd expect Ruddock to be the likely man coming into the 23.

POM and SOB are both injury prone. I'd say Ruddock will pick up two or three caps before the end of the next 6N.

Once you get into the 23 and play well, all bets are off.

It's unlikely but Ruddock is a similar case to someone like Dave Kearney. He doesn't make many eye catching plays but he does the nuts and bolts well and consistently.

Cover.

I'm not really sure that POM can cover 7 so there isn't room in the 23 for Ruddock and POM. If SOB is starting he can cover 6 and 8 so whoever is on the bench just needs to cover SOB.

That would be Henry.

That is true. It's a tricky one because if Ruddock does start at 6 (as I expect him to do at least once) POM is a better bench option than Henry in terms of impact and versatility (and arguably ability) but the position he's weakest in is where Henry excels.

There's also the angle that SOB is going to play 80 so if he doesn't get injured the 'cover' on the bench will actually be replacing the player they weren't picked to cover, and he either plays out of position or you move SOB out of his best position.

It will be very interesting to see where Schmidt goes, I think he really rates Henry, and although I don't really know where he stands on Ruddock he gave him a few big starts at the end of his last season with Leinster iirc

Yeah, but who covers 7 if Henry isn't on the bench? SOB covers 6 and 8 and POM covers 8, Ruddock is a 6 who can play 8, Heaslip is an 8.

Edit - oops, point already made!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I agree :o

A fit and in reasonable form SOB is our best 6 and our best 7. Leaving him on the bench would be pure madness.

It will be very interesting to see where Schmidt goes, I think he really rates Henry, and although I don't really know where he stands on Ruddock he gave him a few big starts at the end of his last season with Leinster iirc

Always got the impression that Schmidt was a big fan. He gave him those games but also named him in the 23 for a big HEC game when Jenno was available. He's played him a couple of times at openside too.

I think it's ridiculously tight between our top 3 or 4 flankers. A lot of unknowns too in terms of how guys like SOB and POM return from long term injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Buer wrote: »
    Always got the impression that Schmidt was a big fan. He gave him those games but also named him in the 23 for a big HEC game when Jenno was available. He's played him a couple of times at openside too.

I think it's ridiculously tight between our top 3 or 4 flankers. A lot of unknowns too in terms of how guys like SOB and POM return from long term injuries.

If Henry was as highly rated as you think he is, he would be on a central contract.

Heaslip, SOB & POM are all on central contracts so its highly unlikely that any of them will be dropped.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    If Henry was as highly rated as you think he is, he would be on a central contract.

Heaslip, SOB & POM are all on central contracts so its highly unlikely that any of them will be dropped.

Aye that's what Joe picks the team on. Central contracts.

So I take it Deccie Fitzpatrick will be a fixture in the side next season?

Aye that's what Joe picks the team on. Central contracts.

FFS so I take it Deccie Fitzpatrick will be a fixture in the side next season?

I don't think Deccie Fitz is on a central contract (but being a prop, he might well be as there is a short supply). Backrowers are a completely different scenario though.

It seems though that the IRFU try and give every province a few, Ulster don't have that many (Best, Bowe & Trimble and there are rumours that Payne has one as well). Leinster have Healy, Ross, SOB, Heislip & R Kearney. Munster have POC, D Ryan, POM, Murray & Earls. Ulster would seem to have a spare one or two available.

They really are a rare comodity nowadays, so yes, I think I'd expect to see those players ahead of everyone else as they are obviously rated higher as they are getting more pay than anyone else.

Quite a few of those centrally contracted players signed them in Schmidt's tenure.

Going to nip this in the bud now.

SCHMIDT WON'T GIVE A SH1T WHAT SORT OF CONTRACT PLAYERS ARE ON.

Oh I wouldn't count on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering how tightly controlled the info on central contracts is I'm not sure if even Schmidt'd know who's on one!

• Advertisement

I don't think Deccie Fitz is on a central contract (but being a prop, he might well be as there is a short supply). Backrowers are a completely different scenario though.

It seems though that the IRFU try and give every province a few, Ulster don't have that many (Best, Bowe & Trimble and there are rumours that Payne has one as well). Leinster have Healy, Ross, SOB, Heislip & R Kearney. Munster have POC, D Ryan, POM, Murray & Earls. Ulster would seem to have a spare one or two available.

They really are a rare comodity nowadays, so yes, I think I'd expect to see those players ahead of everyone else as they are obviously rated higher as they are getting more pay than anyone else.

Quite a few of those centrally contracted players signed them in Schmidt's tenure.

That may all be true but I don't think Schmidt will pick his team based on who has a central contract and who doesn't. That said POM, SOB and Heaslip is our first choice back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Figured I'd give it a shot

R. Kearney
    Trimble
    Henshaw
    D'Arcy
    Earls
    Sexton
    Murray
    Healy
    Strauss
    Moore
    Toner
    O'Connell
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip

Subs
    Best
    McGrath
    Ross
    Henderson
    Ruddock
    Reddan
    Jackson
    Payne

Nothing too crazy Payne at 23 is probably my biggest curve ball though I don't think it's out of the question. Think Strauss and Moore will overtake Best and Ross this year. If Keith Earls can stay injury free and get back his former from last year he def has a chance to start although there's about at least 3, being conservative, other wingers that you could say they same of. Would like to see Marmion ahead of Reddan but don't think it'll happen this world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Does anyone reckon Henshaw will make the 13?

He's not going to be playing top tier if Connacht are pushed out of the new HC.

Is he getting a run at 13 or 15 with Connacht?

There's not really a huge amount of games before the world cup and Joe might try Payne there as well as give Cave another try, so will Henshaw get a chance to make the green 13 his own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think Ruddock starting 6 with POM benching could be a really good use of resources depending on the opposition. POM was our standout player in the games where we were on top of the opposition, in the more physical games against France and England he struggled to impose himself as much. Have Ruddock impose himself for 50 mins and then bring on POM when the game breaks up a bit. It'd be great having him and SOB on the field at the same time when teams may be a little slower to support at the breakdown. We could see a similiar situation coming to pass with McGrath and Healy. Imagine Healy and POM both coming off the bench against tired opposition.

Cant rule out Henry either, his workrate is incredible and seemingly the bigger the game the better he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

mfceiling wrote: »

There's not really a huge amount of games before the world cup and Joe might try Payne there as well as give Cave another try, so will Henshaw get a chance to make the green 13 his own?

I'd say he'll be pretty much play exclusively 13, I doubt we'll be able to say the same of Payne, next year now that we've signed Malian and Leader has really stupid up in the 15 jersey as well. that means he'll be playing challenge cup rugby, possibly even at knock out stages, at 13. So I guess the question is will Joe feel that he is being tested enough and only Joe can answer that. I do definitely think he'll get at least one game there in November.

mfceiling wrote: »

I think Schmidt really likes Henshaw, he had him as the 13 replacement ahead of some good options in the AIs against Australia, and with Muliaina arriving and Griffin leaving he'll only be getting more gametime at 13 for Connacht next year.

SCHMIDT WON'T GIVE A SH1T WHAT SORT OF CONTRACT PLAYERS ARE ON.

So who decides who should get central contracts? You seriously think the Ireland management have no input into who they want to have full control of?

Those on central contracts earn more than those who are not.

It would also be important for the Ireland sponsors like O2 who would want access to players who are starting to use in promotion etc. so the IRFU would need to have control over the image rights and not for instance have a situation where a star player like Sean O'Brien isn't doing ads for vodafone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure if there's enough info available to really gauge who earns what or why!

I know players on central contracts may seem to earn a good wage but equally players who aren't would earn their provincial wage plus their Ireland appearance wage (well as far as I know they do). Also I'm not sure how much input the Ireland head coach has to individual contracts as I've no doubt Kidney would not have wanted to lose Sexton for example.

Didn't Trimble sign a central back in October or something and then not feature at all in the Autumn games?

If a the best option available is on an Academy contract I'd like to think he would still get picked albeit he won't be on an academy contract for too much longer.

Henry signed his deal before playing under Schmidt. I've no doubt he'd be on a central deal if he signed now.

He's a bloke that will always be resented in some quarters for the threat he poses to the selection of others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Buer wrote: »
    Henry signed his deal before playing under Schmidt. I've no doubt he'd be on a central deal if he signed now.

He's a bloke that will always be resented in some quarters for the threat he poses to the selection of others.

Don't think he's much of a threat to Heaslip

Whatever combination Schmidt goes with it's great that we have options anyway. Like many of the 6N selections, it's going to be marginal and I don't really care who gets in. Will be interesting to see what happens for the AIs since POM will be out until October or so I believe, won't have a lot of rugby under his belt and Schmidt seems to put a lot of weight on who is performing in training camps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Don't think he's much of a threat to Heaslip

Yeah but I'm pretty hes the reason the IRFU didn't give Sexton the deal he wanted:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that Darren Cave won't be in the World Cup squad.

If we were to bring D'arcy, Marshall and Payne it'd make more sense to bring Henshaw as our reserve fullback, also covering centre. Unless cave is going to be first choice I just don't think he'll offer enough to be selected. Obviously it'll come down to the November internationals and the 6N but I'd imagine Payne will be featuring at 13 for at least half of those matches.

I know it's pointless trying to predict a squad for the world cup but just for the craic...

15. Kearney 14. Bowe 13. Payne 12. D'Arcy 11. Fitzgerald 10. Sexton 9. Murray

1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross 4. Toner 5. POC 6. Ruddock 7. O'Brien 8. Heaslip

Presuming it'll be 32 man squads (extra props) that'd possibly leave:

Props: McGrath, J Cronin, Moore, Fitzpatrick/White
    Hookers: Strauss, Cronin
    Locks: Henderson, Tuohy
    Back row: O'Mahony, Henry

SH: Marmion, Reddan
    OH: Jackson, Presuming they bring a third this one is wide open imo
    Centres: Marshall
    Back 3: Trimble, Earls, Henshaw

That's actually 33 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jimbo94s

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that Darren Cave won't be in the World Cup squad.

If we were to bring D'arcy, Marshall and Payne it'd make more sense to bring Henshaw as our reserve fullback, also covering centre. Unless cave is going to be first choice I just don't think he'll offer enough to be selected. Obviously it'll come down to the November internationals and the 6N but I'd imagine Payne will be featuring at 13 for at least half of those matches.

I know it's pointless trying to predict a squad for the world cup but just for the craic...

15. Kearney 14. Bowe 13. Payne 12. D'Arcy 11. Fitzgerald 10. Sexton 9. Murray

1. Healy 2. Best 3. Ross 4. Toner 5. POC 6. Ruddock 7. O'Brien 8. Heaslip

Presuming it'll be 32 man squads (extra props) that'd possibly leave:

Props: McGrath, J Cronin, Moore, Fitzpatrick/White
    Hookers: Strauss, Cronin
    Locks: Henderson, Tuohy
    Back row: O'Mahony, Henry

SH: Marmion, Reddan
    OH: Jackson, Presuming they bring a third this one is wide open imo
    Centres: Marshall
    Back 3: Trimble, Earls, Henshaw

That's actually 33 :/

Ruddock ahead of POM? Not a chance. He hasn't proved himself in a big game up against a tough opposition back row whereas POM was possibly ire's player of the 6N bar Trimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Ruddock ahead of POM? Not a chance. He hasn't proved himself in a big game up against a tough opposition back row whereas POM was possibly ire's player of the 6N bar Trimble.

Ruddock will have plenty of opportunities to get some big game experience between now and then. I think one of POMs biggest flaws is that he can sometimes go missing in big games e.g England, France, Australia in the past few months. I like POM but id prefer to have a more physical 6 to start off and bring on POM after 50 mins when the opposition is tiring.

I definitely dont think POM is undroppable tho and I think we should try out our options.

You're right that he hasn't proved himself in a big game but you're overstating POM's Six Nations. He was excellent in the first two games but much quieter after that.

It will take a lot for Ruddock to dislodge him but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

You're right that he hasn't proved himself in a big game but you're overstating POM's Six Nations. He was excellent in the first two games but much quieter after that.

It will take a lot for Ruddock to dislodge him but it's possible.

He would be climbing a pretty steep mountain in order to overtake POM at 6.

Wat.

You could literally pick out any big Leinster game this season and chances are he was one of Leinster's best players. He wasnt just good this season he was extremely consistent, even in games where the team around him didnt play well

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Burcsd94

sure POM is the best backrow in the NH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement