Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Kinger83 wrote: »
    Plus Sean O'Brien is starting and subbing.. i know he's good but not that good surely...
    Anyone trying to make long term predictions for unproven players should read the first post on this thread.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

For heenan to play international rugby he needs to put on a stone to a stone and a half in weight, can he? I don't know. He seems to be undersized at the moment, then again he missed a preseason joining connacht so maybe a good preseason will have him put on a few kilos.

Weight of few of the best flankers 2012 (blindside or openside, Heenan played both)

101kg Bonnaire,Julien
    95 kg Caballero,Yannick
    96 kg Armitage,Steffon
    102kg Fernandez Lobbe,Juan
    101kg Dusautoir,Thierry
    96 kg Nyanga,Yannick
    101kg Tipuric,Justin

So no problem at all to play 6 or 7 around 100 kg, despite Irish tradition of heaviness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would doubt the accuracy of some of those stats (not a hope Armitage or Caballero are that light and when has Caballero been a top player?) but, aside from that, most have demonstrated physical power well beyond their weights which Heenan has not. Dusautoir and Nyanga are freaks that Heenan isn't in the same breath as, for example.

The closest thing to him is Tipuric who is also a wonderfully talented footballer. However, Tipuric has been found wanting on a number of occasions physically where he has been chewed up and spat out of rucks. It's not a coincidence that he's mostly used as a bench option for Wales when the game opens up.

And Heenan hasn't shown himself to be the footballer that Tipuric is yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The comments are somewhat understandable, what rugby player wouldn't want to play international rugby? However at the same time they are completely ignorant of the emotional attachment that supporters have to their national team. Playing for a national team should be to represent your country and the honour/pride that goes along with it. The "I can always go back to play for Samoa" quote just compounded it.

I'd rather a player who sees Ireland as a second rate team and an easy ride didn't play for Ireland.

To be fair, we are essentially criticising a player for being a little top honest in his interview.

He is going to have to devote three years of his life to Irish rugby to be eligible same as everyone else. Does everyone really think Strauss came over with no ambitions other than playing for Leinster and then after 3 years suddenly went "oh this is nice surprise, suddenly I'm Irish qualified...."? The difference is Struass has the good sense not to do an interview saying stuff like that before he joined

:-) I blame connachts press team really....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

My pick would be atm:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. O'Connell
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip

9. Murray
    10. Sexton

11. Trimble
    12. Darcy
    13. Henshaw
    14. Bowe

15. Kearney

I'm not sure about Luke Marshall. His form has being worryingly poor this year he even lost his starting place vs Leinster in the Rabo semi. Thought he was ok in Argentina but again had concussion problems which has to be a huge concern now. I think there could be a chance Hanrahan could push for this spot, as he is likely to play a bit there with Munster, with Downey gone and Bleyendaal not arriving until late November.

The wingers should be picked on form and really, that's impossible to call with any one of Trimble, Bowe, Fitzgearld, Earls and Zebo in with a shout here. I can't see D. Kearney or McFadden getting a start.

I think Ross will start over Moore, Moore has a bit to go yet as we saw in Paris, but he is a good prospect. Henry is unlucky to lose out in my pack, but if O'Brien's on form he plays, end of. I'll be interested to see who will bench for Best next year, with Cronin omitted from the Argentina tour and then playing a stormer against Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

letowski wrote: »
    My pick would be atm:

I'll be interested to see who will bench for Best next year, with Cronin omitted from the Argentina tour and then playing a stormer against Glasgow.

It will be interesting to see if Strauss can get back to where he was. He was looking a little light weight after his layoff. A big pre season and he should be ready to challenge again.

Cronin is a fantastic bench option though, not too sure if the other two lads offer the same impact.

Buer wrote: »
    I would doubt the accuracy of some of those stats (not a hope Armitage or Caballero are that light and when has Caballero been a top player?) but, aside from that, most have demonstrated physical power well beyond their weights which Heenan has not. Dusautoir and Nyanga are freaks that Heenan isn't in the same breath as, for example.

The closest thing to him is Tipuric who is also a wonderfully talented footballer. However, Tipuric has been found wanting on a number of occasions physically where he has been chewed up and spat out of rucks. It's not a coincidence that he's mostly used as a bench option for Wales when the game opens up.

And Heenan hasn't shown himself to be the footballer that Tipuric is yet either.

http://www.rctoulon.com/fr/rct/joueur/armitage/

Official page
    yes he is, and yes Heenan is only 20 and can improve about phisicality widely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

My pick would be atm:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. O'Connell
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip

9. Murray
    10. Sexton

11. Trimble
    12. Darcy
    13. Henshaw
    14. Bowe

15. Kearney

I'm not sure about Luke Marshall. His form has being worryingly poor this year he even lost his starting place vs Leinster in the Rabo semi. Thought he was ok in Argentina but again had concussion problems which has to be a huge concern now. I think there could be a chance Hanrahan could push for this spot, as he is likely to play a bit there with Munster, with Downey gone and Bleyendaal not arriving until late November.

The wingers should be picked on form and really, that's impossible to call with any one of Trimble, Bowe, Fitzgearld, Earls and Zebo in with a shout here. I can't see D. Kearney or McFadden getting a start.

I think Ross will start over Moore, Moore has a bit to go yet as we saw in Paris, but he is a good prospect. Henry is unlucky to lose out in my pack, but if O'Brien's on form he plays, end of. I'll be interested to see who will bench for Best next year, with Cronin omitted from the Argentina tour and then playing a stormer against Glasgow.

What are your subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

connachta wrote: »

Official page

He's 22 but yes thats the idea, that he can improve his physicality from what it is now. In his current state I cannot see him competing physically with the heavyweight international packs. If he can put on a few kgs without losing his mobility that would be ideal. As it is he's actually lighter than both the two Irish U20 opensides this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'll be interested to see who will bench for Best next year, with Cronin omitted from the Argentina tour and then playing a stormer against Glasgow.

Cronin was rested from the tour rather than omitted, he's very much the #16 at the moment. His only real rival is Strauss who lost a fair amount of ground this season and will miss the opening part of next season.
    It will be interesting to see who gets the Munster jersey this year, whoever does might make a late charge for the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Official page

if you look more closely at your link youll also notice that Armitage it 5' 9" whereas Heenan is 6' 2".

Being taller means Heenan will be less powerful, added to his higher centre of gravity which makes him easier to push around at ruck time. Armitage is very heavy for his height.

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    if you look more closely at your link youll also notice that Armitage it 5' 9" whereas Heenan is 6' 2".

Being taller means Heenan will be less powerful, added to his higher centre of gravity which makes him easier to push around at ruck time. Armitage is very heavy for his height.

Dussauoir has exactly the same height and weight. And nobody would dare to contest he's (at least was) one of the best in Europe. I can't see why Heenan can't develop like him, except with authoritative argument like " not cut from the same cloth."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

padser wrote: »
    To be fair, we are essentially criticising a player for being a little top honest in his interview.

He is going to have to devote three years of his life to Irish rugby to be eligible same as everyone else. Does everyone really think Strauss came over with no ambitions other than playing for Leinster and then after 3 years suddenly went "oh this is nice surprise, suddenly I'm Irish qualified...."? The difference is Struass has the good sense not to do an interview saying stuff like that before he joined

:-) I blame connachts press team really....

Strauss wasn't really on the Boks radar in SA before he left as far as I know (I think he was even playing some games in the back row for his club) whereas Aki would be on the Blacks radar at the moment and in a position where there'll be an opening on the team in a couple of seasons with Nonu and Smith both 32 at the moment.

What are your subs?

I think similar enough to the 6 Nations, only with Henry dropping to the bench instead of Murphy. Having said that he wouldn't be the best impact sub and is possibility better off starting. I think Earls or Fitzgearld are better options than McFadden (if they're fit!!). Ryan and Marmion might make in time but not now.

Cronin was rested from the tour rather than omitted, he's very much the #16 at the moment. His only real rival is Strauss who lost a fair amount of ground this season and will miss the opening part of next season.
    It will be interesting to see who gets the Munster jersey this year, whoever does might make a late charge for the RWC.

I think its going to be hard for someone to displace Varley's Munster #2 shirt, unless he goes through one of those complete dips in form and throwing that he sometimes experiences. Both Casey and Sherry have shown some good form with Munster, but both lack that bit of power and aggression that Varley brings, particularly at breakdown. I might come to Casey in time. I just think Varley would be Foley's type of Hooker next season.

Not sure either three will be international standard though on 2015.

• Advertisement

Dussauoir has exactly the same height and weight. And nobody would dare to contest he's (at least was) one of the best in Europe. I can't see why Heenan can't develop like him, except with authoritative argument like " not cut from the same cloth."

Yes, develop which is what people are saying he needs to do. He cannot be equated to Dusautoir in any way currently in terms of his quality as a player.

Dusautoir is a physical freak that goes against his size. He's an anomaly. It's highly unlikely that Heenan is ever going to become a similar player. TD is the only starting back row player from the top 7 countries that isn't over 100kg.

If Heenan was eligible tomorrow, he wouldn't be in the Irish squad. Hopefully he develops his power levels to be an option in the next couple of years.

I still wouldn't buy Armitage's weight, even at that height. Most sites list him at over 100kg and anything up to 104kg which would be far more likely. A 96kg guy playing No. 8 at the top level is not realistic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Buer wrote: »
    I still wouldn't buy Armitage's weight, even at that height. Most sites list him at over 100kg and anything up to 104kg which would be far more likely. A 96kg guy playing No. 8 at the top level is not realistic at all.

Hes about 104-106 kg. 96 kg is 15 stone. Not a hope in hell hes this weight.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Hes about 104-106 kg. 96 kg is 15 stone. Not a hope in hell hes this weight.

RCT official website is lying. if you both say so,....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

London Irish stats say he was 103kg when he was with them….

take from that what you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RCT official website is lying. if you both say so,....

Not sure if lying is the right phrase but Donnacha Ryan mentioned that when he went to Northampton to talk about joining that the first thing they did was get him to strip down and then they weighed him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not sure if lying is the right phrase but Donnacha Ryan mentioned that when he went to Northampton to talk about joining that the first thing they did was get him to strip down and then they weighed him!
    He had issues with weight going up ranks.. possibly came from not having played until 17/18 and was hurling until then.
    Also when Northampton checked Munster website it was saying DRs weight was something like 90kg..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/man-of-the-match-donnacha-ryan-glad-he-didnt-quit-munster-for-northampton-26832059.html

Which is pretty much the issue. Club websites are regularly unreliable. I think Nagle was down as 99kg for a long time too at 6'6" after he had clearly bulked up!

Armitage is easily well over 100kg. He's built like a hooker.

BOD and Steffon Armitage are the same height. BOD is 95kg. Armitage is clearly much bigger. Take from that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

BOD and Steffon Armitage are the same height. BOD is 95kg. Armitage is clearly much bigger. Take from that what you will.

Nothing?

Nothing?

Well increased size is quite often due to increased weight. If you have two men the of the same height and one is much larger than the other he's probably heavier...

So what you're saying is... We should pick Steffon Armitage at 13 for the World Cup.

So what you're saying is... We should pick Steffon Armitage at 13 for the World Cup.

Exactly! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Healy
    Best
    Ross/ Moore
    Toner
    Paul
    Pom
    Sob
    Jh
    Murray
    Sexton
    Marchel
    Henshaw/ Fitzgerald
    Bowe
    Zebo
    Kearney

Stan27 wrote: »
    Healy
    Best
    Ross/ Moore
    Toner
    Paul
    Pom
    Sob
    Jh
    Murray
    Sexton
    Marchel
    Henshaw/ Fitzgerald
    Bowe
    Zebo
    Kearney
    11,12,13 wont happen. Who is 11?
    Don't see Zebo being there but hard to say with so many wings. Henshaw wont be 12

• Advertisement

11,12,13 wont happen. Who is 11?
    Don't see Zebo being there but hard to say with so many wings. Henshaw wont be 12

Sorry I had put in no numbers.
    11 zebo
    12 marchel
    13 henshaw / Fitzgerald
    14 bowe
    15 kearney

Stan27 wrote: »
    Sorry I had put in no numbers.
    11 zebo
    12 marchel
    13 henshaw / Fitzgerald
    14 bowe
    15 kearney
    Assume you mean Marshall at 12? Wouldn't be sure on Henshaw or Fitzgerald at 13. Do you think Payne will be close to side?

Assume you mean Marshall at 12? Wouldn't be sure on Henshaw or Fitzgerald at 13. Do you think Payne will be close to side?

Ha I was thinking I spelt it a bit wrong :).
    I'll be honest I don't know that much about Payne but everyone seems to think he is a great player. He will be very close anyway.
    Re the other 2 I would actually perfer henshaw to stay full back. And maybe concentrate on 13 after the rwc.
    With Fitzgerald he is too good to leave out, but his injurys are a concern. If he stays injury free and plays his potential a definite starter.
    What's your opinion of zebo?

I think we'll see:

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Moore
    4 Toner
    5 POC (C)
    6 POM
    7 SOB
    8 Heaslip

9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Fitzgerald (if fit, Earls otherwise)
    12 D'Arcy (Wildcard: Madigan)
    13 Payne
    14 Bowe
    15 Kearney

16 Cronin (Strauss if he can recover in time)
    17 McGrath
    18 Ross
    19 Henderson
    20 Ruddock/Henry (Horses for courses)
    21 Marmion/McGrath
    22 Jackson
    23 Trimble

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2015-predicting-ireland-s-starting-xv-1.1931217

The Irish Times journalists have had a crack off this. This "D'Arcy at 13" idea is picking up steam but I don't see it happening, otherwise no outlandish predictions apart from Gavin Cummiskey predicting McGrath will be at tighthead...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

If Darcy is on the starting 15 in the world cup I am not watching it. Cant defend at international level and brings nothing to the attack any more. playing him at 13 would be a massive leap in the wrong direction for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Can somebody do me a favour and fill in what blanks I have here- Ireland have 12 games before the RWC. Three November tests, five Six Nations games. I know there are warm-up games before the RWC, but four games? Am I missing something, or is there a summer tour next year despite a world cup year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Can somebody do me a favour and fill in what blanks I have here- Ireland have 12 games before the RWC. Three November tests, five Six Nations games. I know there are warm-up games before the RWC, but four games? Am I missing something, or is there a summer tour next year despite a world cup year?

4 warm up games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2015-predicting-ireland-s-starting-xv-1.1931217

The Irish Times journalists have had a crack off this. This "D'Arcy at 13" idea is picking up steam but I don't see it happening, otherwise no outlandish predictions apart from Gavin Cummiskey predicting McGrath will be at tighthead...

Thornley basically just picks the team from now

in particular I'd question that Ross will still be starting 3 but maybe he'll surprise me

I suppose I am most dissapointed at the lack of "experts" going for any new player or surprise bar perhaps Olding

and unless Gilroy has a great year I couldn't see him displacing the other wingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ozzyo wrote: »
    If Darcy is on the starting 15 in the world cup I am not watching it. Cant defend at international level and brings nothing to the attack any more. playing him at 13 would be a massive leap in the wrong direction for Ireland.

Can't defend at international level? Despite being one of our best defenders in the AIs and 6N?

Brings nothing to attack despite him marshalling most of our backline moves during the AIs and 6N?

The form that Darce is in he's head n shoulders above anyone else at 12 right now. If you don't watch the RWC because the form player is selected then you're missing the point of the RWC.

That won't be much of a change for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For the record he missed a sum total of 3 tackles in 5 games during the 6 Nations. I don't recall a single incident where he was badly caught out. This notion that he can't defend at international level is just completely and utterly wrong. And it's a massive disservice to a player who has given and continues to give so much to the national side.

Also, if he added nothing to our attacking game how is it we were the top try scorers in the 6 Nations? You can't really do that with a passenger in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

molloyjh wrote: »
    For the record he missed a sum total of 3 tackles in 5 games during the 6 Nations. I don't recall a single incident where he was badly caught out. This notion that he can't defend at international level is just completely and utterly wrong. And it's a massive disservice to a player who has given and continues to give so much to the national side.

Also, if he added nothing to our attacking game how is it we were the top try scorers in the 6 Nations? You can't really do that with a passenger in midfield.

Big D'Arcy fan but I think he did get caught out a couple times in defence but no instances come to mind bar a tackle attempt at Basteraud but who hasn't missed a tackle on him. That's a tackling issue too and not an error in defence.

Had a fine tournament overall though, I'd like to at least see him tried at 13 but do we have time or are we going to treat the 6N as a tournament to try things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just looking back at the original post, its amazing how the fortunes of those mentioned have changed, including of course one tragic incident, and that guys who are pretty much nailed on to be in England next year were not even on the radar in 2011.

15. Felix Jones - Possible
    14. Andrew Conway - Only if 5 other guys get broken
    13. Nevin Spence - RIP
    12. Fergus McFadden - Yes
    11. Keith Earls - Yes if fit
    10. Jonathan Sexton - Yes
    9. Luke McGrath - Not had the senior run yet but still Possible
    8. Jamie Heaslip (c) 0 - Yes
    7. Dominic Ryan - Unlikely but a good season leaves him and TOD fighting
    6. Sean O'Brien - Yes
    5. Dan Tuohy - In the mix
    4. Ian Nagle - Off the radar
    3. Jamie Hagan - Off the radar
    2. Richard Strauss - Probable
    1. Cian Healy - Yes

16. Sean Cronin - Yes
    17. Jack O'Connell - Too far down the order
    18. Stewart Maguire - No
    19. Dave O'Callaghan - Unlikely
    20. Rhys Ruddock - must keep fit and performing to the level of POM and Hendo
    21. Conor Murray - yes
    22. JJ Hanrahan - Not without some disastrous injuries
    23. Eoin Griffin - No

Larbre34 wrote: »

15. Felix Jones - Possible

Ah now

I think "highly improbable" would suit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

If Darcy is on the starting 15 in the world cup I am not watching it. Cant defend at international level and brings nothing to the attack

along with O'Driscolll - D'Arcy has been the best Irish midfielder defender EVER - are ya having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Moving D'Arcy isn't as crazy as it first seems. It works especially if you have someone like Olding or Madigan at 12 as they are both excellent attacking players. D'Arcy, despite what one or two have tried to say, would give us defensive solidity and experience in the midfield alongside the attacking prowess of someone like Olding. I wouldn't mind seeing that given a whirl in November.

Jones started on of the tests against Argentina this summer. He'll definitely be in the extended squad, I'd have thought. Specialist full backs aren't growing on trees.

If RK was to be injured, I could see him travelling with Payne probably playing 15 and Jones possibly featuring against the weaker teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Riskymove wrote: »
    Thornley basically just picks the team from now

in particular I'd question that Ross will still be starting 3 but maybe he'll surprise me

I suppose I am most dissapointed at the lack of "experts" going for any new player or surprise bar perhaps Olding

and unless Gilroy has a great year I couldn't see him displacing the other wingers

Well Thornley had Furlong on the bench instead of Moore. So at this juncture that would count as a surprise. Personally I think, assuming he gets game-time, he has every chance of making the squad.

But barring a John Hayes'esque decrease in power, it think it would be a big shock if Ross wasn't starting.

I'd be very surprised to see Jones travel tbh, even if either Kearney or Payne was injured - if both of them were injured, then maybe.

I think Furlong will need an injury to either Ross or Moore to have any hope; it would be some progression if he did make it.

Assuming everyone fit, I'd go with:

Kearney
    Bowe Payne D'Arcy Trimble
    Sexton Murray
    Healy Best Ross
    O'Connell Toner
    Ruddock O'Brien Heaslip

Reps: Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Henderson, O'Mahony, Reddan, Madigan, Earls

Wider squad: Kilcoyne, S Cronin, Tuohy, Henry, Marmion, Jackson, Fitzgerald - this is a big assumption on fitness

The only bolter I'd really see coming from very far back would be Olding, depending on how he goes this season and fitness-depending. It means guys like Ryan, Marshall, McFadden, Zebo and Dave Kearney missing out; there's going to be some very harsh calls to make.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement