Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I just bombed an interview

Options
  • 14-09-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Had to take a test where I answered most questions right. However, I messed up an important section that I believe will have cost me the job. Looking back, I could see
    some of the solutions but froze up during the interview. To downplay the possibility of appearing to be mentally deficient under stress, maybe I should just ring them and notify
    of a cancellation? Never had this situation before, so I will make sure to be prepared next time. Word might "get around" though, so nothing is certain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI.

This is the forum dedicated to issues with work...

All the best OP. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think you might be freaking out unnecessarily here. What do you mean when you say that "word might get around"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I had an interview last week and I totally bombed it actually I'd say i''ll be black listed from the company for ever it went that bad -

No point cancelling it for the off chance you get the job - worst case senario is you dont the the job - hardly life or death

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have heard it said that people who come out of interviews thinking that they answered everything brilliantly weren't actually being pushed that hard by the interviewer. Instead, they made a mistake at the start and the interviewer just lobbed them easy questions to fill up the time.

Conversely, people who thought they did badly had really been put through their paces.

My point is, plenty of jobs are going to tell you "No", but there is no point in preempting them and cancelling before they have made their mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice lads. I am aware that it's not my decision to hire ultimately, but I think I will respectfully drop and make sure I am not caught off guard next time. I know I have the ability. Even bought a book to brush up. Just need to minimise the damage and not look like even more of a tool. Annoying, because I managed to work out the answers earlier on in my head. The pressure can screw you if you aren't prepared :) Lesson learned I think. Might as well cut my losses while I am ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If I understand you correctly ,you believe by Pulling out they will bin your application and any Word of mouth of how insane your answers were will not happen

I can tell you this is not true

Likelyhood if that any negatives you think will happen from the interview process are
    1-less than you believe
    2- have already happened

Pulling out in that case is a bad idea*

*Unless you lied and said you were something you were not and your afraid a quick check could be done to prove you a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Appreciate the advice people. I think I will just stick it out and see what they say. As already stated above, preempting their decision is pointless from a logical point of view. It's more a case of coming off as a bit of a tool, but sure aren't we all human :)

At least I know not to be caught off guard next time! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

All good advice above.

Most people I know have bombed interviews spectacularly. Hilariously bad at times. Mostly because of nerves. People under pressure do the strangest things.

They learnt from it and went in stronger for their next interviews. It's all part of the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Years ago (> 20) when my uncle finished college he made a complete mess of his first interview. Two months on he still hadn't got a job and the guys whom he had the terrible interview with contacted him and offered him one. A few months in he found out he was the only suitable candidate who applied.

A year ago I had a friend who went to his first interview out of college and messed it up. The job had connections to what he was involved in for his thesis and it ended up that he got the job.

Just two examples where people who have bombed interviews have come away laughing. Don't pull out just because you didn't interview well, let them make the decision to drop you which they are not guaranteed to do.

Advertisement