Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potentially fatal near miss, big eye opener

• 14-09-2011 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Came out of my local garage this morning making a quick right turn, I travel no more than 50 yards where I prepare to hook right again.
    Nothing coming so start to make the turn when the next thing I spot a motorcyclist coming towards me seemingly out of nowhere.
    I hit the brakes, he squirms under braking but as I've only just crossed the white line he passes without further incident.
    He had a hi-vis vest & lights were on.

Maybe my perception is going, maybe I was distracted, maybe my windows hadn't fully demisted, maybe he came around the bend ahead too fast but either way he'd have been a dead man but for a fraction of a second.

I've been banging my head trying to work out what happened & where I went wrong when I remembered I'd just been undertaken by a car going straight ahead.
    He was favouring the middle of the road as was the oncoming motorcyclist.
    As I saw nothing coming I started my manoeuvre as normal.
    It was the perfect storm for an accident.
    Still not sure how I feel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

And that's why we should all have a spare pair of underpants in our cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

jeez you were lucky, next time it might be a truck and it would nd have scraped by , so pay better attention when your driving, look and look again

ps. if it was me on the bike, id have booted your car on the way past.

Only way some people seem to learn is if it costs them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bikes can be hard to see, A pillar can easily obscure one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Fair play for avoiding anyway.

The motorcyclist also misread the situation too - a slow/stopped car close to the centre of the road should have indicated to him that you *might* be turning right, whether an indicator was on or not.

However if your turn was a quick movement it's pretty hard for a biker to read the car signals and it'll have turned before the information can be processed.

• Advertisement

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Maybe my perception is going, maybe I was distracted, maybe my windows hadn't fully demisted, maybe he came around the bend ahead too fast but either way he'd have been a dead man but for a fraction of a second. .............

I reckon you were on planet zog to be honest, you'd want to start slowing to almost a halt going forward in such situations, perhaps an eye test may be in order, I'm not kidding either or trying to stir sh1t, you nearly took a bike out by turning right at a junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Did this happen in Cork by any chance? South city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

youtube! wrote: »
    EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

I think that's a silly expression, I'm not getting out of bed because there could be an unexpected poisonous snake waiting to strike. And I don't live in Australia.

If we could expect the unexpected, we'd go nowhere and do nothing.

And tbh, a bike flying up the road is nothing unexpected ~ what can one do about it ~ I've had identical experience.

It's so common it's even on the road safety ads. Look twice as OP did is about it. He did it.

The science of the male vision is a scan every few seconds and a brain matched report, a male driver is trained to spot danger, anything he thinks is not dangerous is eliminated from his calculations.

A male driver is alerted to movement and can react very fast but at typical bike speeds the bike is not seen in the first instance and is not a threat. The next scan will reveal a foreign object [the bike] and this is prioritised for the next scan, the third scan detects fast moving object and identifies it as a bike and alerts the driver's auto response system to take action ~ usually breaking.

I'm sure I could find times from when the bike should be in the driver's vision [but ignored] from his first scan to the time the alert is issued by the brain, third or fourth scan of the scene.

If these times were overlaid on the speed the bike was doing we'd see how far the bike travelled before being seen. The driver gets a very short notice and the common theme is out of nowhere ~ bicycles do it too ~ they can be deemed to be travelling too slowly to be a danger and are often ignored by the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Think once, think twice, think bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

FWIW, i'm impressed that you're taking the time to post-mortem the event to see what you can learn out of it.

• Advertisement

PaudyW wrote: »

Do you want motorists to care about bikers or don't you? That kind of juvenile nonsense just alienates motorists and therefore endangers your fellow bikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

He had a hi-vis vest & lights were on.

In fact biker did everything he could to be seen which makes OP is faulty in this incident

But to be fair, this may happen anyone and motorbikes can react and stop instantly if they don't speed for their own safety.

I have been in same situation and hit motorbike while doing a U-turn despite I checked road many times. Biker didn't wear anything visible(not mandatory in my country), protective(no helmet) and light was off in dark. So I didn't see it coming.

My fault was trusting my vision too much(early twenties aagh) and doing U-turn fast to not to block a busy road(I learned that rushing in traffic brings trouble).

I think maneuvers similar to this should be done slowly even we think that we are so careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The unexpected, accidents can happen to anyone. People are dangerously deluded if they think they have perfect observation all the time.

Never assume you have been seen either. Even if you look like the Eiffel tower at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What a moronic post.

Motorcyclists like you, we can do without.

And I ride one everyday, btw.

+1 to OP on saving at least one, and who knows, maybe 2, lives. Just goes to back up the RSA ad ( - can't believe I said that - :rolleyes:), that most bike accidents are caused by cars. And sometimes they are just that - accidents.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

In before the "you should have your license taken off you..."
    and the "its because of people like you my insurance is so high...."
    and the "does anyone else hope a guard saw what happened and throws the book at him....", etc etc

it's not an ideal world. Bad stuff happens and is very often due to a series of small things combining together to make a disaster, which is what nearly happened here, and this is a good reminder of what everyone is up against.

Fair play to the OP for sharing the story!

LLU wrote: »
    and the "does anyone else hope a guard saw what happened and throws the book at him....", etc etc

it's not an ideal world. Bad stuff happens and is very often due to a series of small things combining together to make a disaster, which is what nearly happened here, and this is a good reminder of what everyone is up against.

ah, I see I was miles too late to be in before all that stuff. Quelle surprise!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

as I've only just crossed the white line he passes without further incident.
    Was there a continuous white line in the centre of the road?

jeez you were lucky, next time it might be a truck and it would nd have scraped by , so pay better attention when your driving, look and look again

clearly you are very well qualified to lecture other people on safety then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

galwaytt wrote: »
    What a moronic post.

Motorcyclists like you, we can do without.

And I ride one everyday, btw.

If you ride every day you will know how often this sort of thing happens. I've had 3 similar close calls in the last fortnight. Two of them didn't even realise what they had done and the other gave me the finger. I have taken my fair share of wing mirrors and I make no apologies for it.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Do you want motorists to care about bikers or don't you? That kind of juvenile nonsense just alienates motorists and therefore endangers your fellow bikers.

I couldn't see how alienating motorists could make them any more reckless when it comes to spotting bikers, loosing a wing mirror might give them a wake up call or at the very least make them give bikers a wide berth for fear of it happening again.
    The OP has to be commended here because most people would have just shrugged off this close call but instead has used it as a real wake up call to take a good look at his/her driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If it had been a truck or a car oncoming their width would have made them visible & not blanked out by the passing car.
    You can have every visibility aid at your disposal but if you fit them in a vertical stripe 2 feet wide you're liable to blind spots.

• Advertisement

Was there a continuous white line in the centre of the road?

Short broken line only for the right turn.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Did this happen in Cork by any chance? South city...

South Kildare

I couldn't see how alienating motorists could make them any more reckless when it comes to spotting bikers, loosing a wing mirror might give them a wake up call or at the very least make them give bikers a wide berth for fear of it happening again.
    Do you honestly think that kicking a mirror off a car will make that motorist more concerned for the welfare of bikers? They're far more likely to decide that biker = scumbag, and that is always going to be bad news for bikers. We need motorists to be more aware of, and more considerate towards, bikers. Kicking mirrors off may well relieve your (completely understandable) frustration, but remember that the end result may well be another biker in the back of an ambulance.
    The OP has to be commended here because most people would have just shrugged off this close call but instead has used it as a real wake up call to take a good look at his/her driving.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What am I missing here!?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Short broken line only for the right turn.
    Sounds like a tricky road with no overtaking and the broken line just for your exit, so maybe there's risk factors on that road. The most important thing is that no collision happened and some bit of extra care that you took compensated for any mistakes made by either yourself or himself.

If he was approaching a garage exit, he should have been mindful of people exiting, doing the best they can to be safe, but increasing his safety margin just in case.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What am I missing here!?!:confused:

The Motors forum has a reputation for being holier than thou & very finger wagging.
    There's a small cohort that become judge & jury should you admit to any offence no matter small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that kicking a mirror off a car will make that motorist more concerned for the welfare of bikers? They're far more likely to decide that biker = scumbag, and that is always going to be bad news for bikers. We need motorists to be more aware of, and more considerate towards, bikers. Kicking mirrors off may well relieve your (completely understandable) frustration, but remember that the end result may well be another biker in the back of an ambulance.

That's where we disagree then. Car drivers being concerned for the welfare of bikers is not a prerequisite for actually being careful and attentive drivers. A hard shock of having your wing mirror smashed serves as more of a wake up call than umpteen RSA adds that just get ignored anyway.
    If a car driver labels me as a scumbag because I broke some glass and plastic off their car after they almost killed me then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Motors forum has a reputation for being holier than thou & very finger wagging.
    There's a small cohort that become judge & jury should you admit to any offence no matter small.

That chap posted, then quoted his own post and signed off with a rolleyes.

Is that the joke?

If so it wasn't very funny.

That's where we disagree then. Car drivers being concerned for the welfare of bikers is not a prerequisite for actually being careful and attentive drivers.
    Nonsense. An awareness that we're dealing with real people, people with families, is central to being a careful and attentive driver.
    A hard shock of having your wing mirror smashed serves as more of a wake up call than umpteen RSA adds that just get ignored anyway.
    No, it doesn't, and any motorist will tell you the same thing. You're doing it to relieve your own frustration, no more and no less.
    If a car driver labels me as a scumbag because I broke some glass and plastic off their car after they almost killed me then so be it.
    What about the other innocent bikers who might end up paying for your tough guy act? Do they not matter to you? Do you even realize how much damage you're doing to the cause of all the motorcyclists out there who depend on the vigilance & consideration of motorists to make it home in one piece?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Um...unless a lot of posts have been deleted, nobody said any of that stuff... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

It's easy to be critical of the OP but I recon we've all had some near misses of some sort, be they the your fault or the other driver.
    A momentary laps at the wheel is all that's required for disaster to strike.

I just hope it never happens to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Are we all more likely to be that little bit more careful to not knock down a motorcyclist because:
    (a) we think if we miss they may kick our car
    or
    (b) we think that if we accidentally hit them we may cause serious or fatal injury?

Might be just me but I think I'd be more concerned about (b). And I think that if I managed to avoid (b), I'd be pretty damn pi$$ed off that the guy that I had just managed to not injure decided he was going to damage my car in return for me not injuring him.

Um...unless a lot of posts have been deleted, nobody said any of that stuff... :confused:

er no, maybe they didn't say precisely that stuff (which is why I said 'etc etc') but we have had that sentiment with the contributors who think its appropriate to take a boot to the car because its driver confessed to making a momentary error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The irony of this attitude is that it's harder to spot an undertaking biker without a functioning mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thats because they are fantastic flawless drivers while on their keyboard typing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

popcorn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's where we disagree then. Car drivers being concerned for the welfare of bikers is not a prerequisite for actually being careful and attentive drivers. A hard shock of having your wing mirror smashed serves as more of a wake up call than umpteen RSA adds that just get ignored anyway.

Sixty kilometres a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year in Dublin traffic at peak times and I can count the amount of times I have come to a no holds barred full brake stop in three years. Twice.

Your doing something wrong to have had that many near misses in a fourth-night, at least the OP has the balls to publicly admit he is wrong and analyse the event afterwards to find where his own actions could have avoided the situation.

Get some training or get a wheelchair(if your lucky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This video seems very apt.

@OP - fair play for spotting the biker and stopping before something worse happened, and fair play for trying to learn from it. Thanks for letting us learn from it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Well, in clonskeagh today was watching traffic turn right at Spar, one guy crawled across the road in front of traffic dunno how he was missed. 5 seconds litter another dipstick crawles across the road on his belly, nearly taking out not one but two cyclists and an oncoming car.

I must call the Garda to ask could they send someone down to take a look at the shenanigans there, as we can only rely on good reactions and luck for so long. Also cyclists going contra flow in the cycle lanes etc.

Well done to stop OP, good learning experience for both of ye. (thank God)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

-Chris- wrote: »

Jebus that scared the sh1t out of me.
    -Chris- wrote: »
    @OP - fair play for spotting the biker and stopping before something worse happened, and fair play for trying to learn from it. Thanks for letting us learn from it too.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Well done to the OP for having the courage to post this here and the cop-on to reflect on the incident. The thread has been interesting and hopefully is something that people will think of when out on the road. I thought gbee's post was very good ('out of nowhere'). I commute by bicycle so threads like this help me stay out of trouble - you understand the risks better and get a reminder that hi-vis and flashing lights still mean your brain has to be fully engaged in travelling defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you ride every day you will know how often this sort of thing happens. I've had 3 similar close calls in the last fortnight. Two of them didn't even realise what they had done and the other gave me the finger. I have taken my fair share of wing mirrors and I make no apologies for it.
    Yes, ****, happens. That doesn't warrant you being a vandal. What do you think the next guy, who's had his mirror wrecked by a noddy like you, will do next time there's a 50:50 on a bike.
    Hey, who knows - maybe it'll be you, and the circle will be complete..... :rolleyes:
    'If' ? What you're doing is making yourself a target. Worse, you're making all those anti-bike rules and legislation goddamn easy to bring in: you're a bigger enemy to biking than anyone in a car.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Are we all more likely to be that little bit more careful to not knock down a motorcyclist because:
    (a) we think if we miss they may kick our car
    or
    (b) we think that if we accidentally hit them we may cause serious or fatal injury?

Might be just me but I think I'd be more concerned about (b). And I think that if I managed to avoid (b), I'd be pretty damn pi$$ed off that the guy that I had just managed to not injure decided he was going to damage my car in return for me not injuring him.
    +1

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

.... I prepare to hook right again
    That's your problem right there.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Thought my wing-mirror kicking incident was an isolated event, pretty disappointed that it seems to be on the minds of more motorcyclists than I gave credit for. I haven't ridden a motorbike in over 10 years (lifestyle made it unnecessary), but I never felt the desire to kick a wing-mirror off or a door in.

I know there is a lot of force/momentum keeping a bike in a straight line, but giving a car a kick sounds pretty dumb, you mightn't estimate the 'give' in the car good enough, the car might move out of your range, or you might hit a bad patch of road just at the point you change your momentum, and if you ever come across the CCTV footage on the internet of the guy on the scooter ending up under the back wheels of a truck, you'll never look at a bursting water-balloon in the same light again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

tmcw wrote: »
    Thought my wing-mirror kicking incident was an isolated event, pretty disappointed that it seems to be on the minds of more motorcyclists than I gave credit for. I haven't ridden a motorbike in over 10 years (lifestyle made it unnecessary), but I never felt the desire to kick a wing-mirror off or a door in.

I know there is a lot of force/momentum keeping a bike in a straight line, but giving a car a kick sounds pretty dumb, you mightn't estimate the 'give' in the car good enough, the car might move out of your range, or you might hit a bad patch of road just at the point you change your momentum, and if you ever come across the CCTV footage on the internet of the guy on the scooter ending up under the back wheels of a truck, you'll never look at a bursting water-balloon in the same light again.

I've never taken someones wing mirror in revenge, but I've been sorely tempted on occasions. It's sometimes hard to keep your cool when muppet drivers keep doing the same sh1t over and over and nearly killing you.

A careless and uninsured car driver put me in intensive care for 2 weeks before and destroyed my beloved bike. He tried to lie his way out of it, every passenger in his car gave a different version of events. The car behind me and the car behind him both gave the same version as me. But now it's like every near miss I know 110% the consequences for me if it had happened! I could easily be dead, no father for my kids and thoughts like this do enter my mind after some careless maneuver from a car driver. So far I've kept a cool head, but I'd understand the rage of some bikers who want to claim a wing mirror from careless drivers. It's wrong and probably counter productive, but easy to understand IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've never taken someones wing mirror in revenge, but I've been sorely tempted on occasions. It's sometimes hard to keep your cool when muppet drivers keep doing the same sh1t over and over and nearly killing you.

A careless and uninsured car driver put me in intensive care for 2 weeks before and destroyed my beloved bike. He tried to lie his way out of it, every passenger in his car gave a different version of events. The car behind me and the car behind him both gave the same version as me. But now it's like every near miss I know 110% the consequences for me if it had happened! I could easily be dead, no father for my kids and thoughts like this do enter my mind after some careless maneuver from a car driver. So far I've kept a cool head, but I'd understand the rage of some bikers who want to claim a wing mirror from careless drivers. It's wrong and probably counter productive, but easy to understand IMO.

By the same token, someone could sit 6 inches behind my bumper when I need to brake and drills into the back of me... but that doesn't mean I get out of the car and drag the idiot out for a beating, or smash his windows in.

If I had an encounter where a biker was an arsehole by kicking my mirror off, I'd not be sad to see him scattered across the road further on. Two wrongs do not make a right.

If I had an encounter where a biker was an arsehole by kicking my mirror off, I'd not be sad to see him scattered across the road further on. Two wrongs do not make a right.
    Do you really equate damage to your car with injury to a person? Is that how low the value of people has gone against property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

ciotog wrote: »
    Do you really equate damage to your car with injury to a person? Is that how low the value of people has gone against property?

I don't think he was equating "people" damage to property damage. He was making the point that exacting revenge (mirror kicking/beating in this comparison) is not a productive way to deal with a situation.

Its utter stupidity in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

ciotog wrote: »

I'm saying that it's not the physical damage that'd piss me off - it's the horrendous attitude and actions of this individual that would make me consider them not THAT big a loss to society.

And that counts whether it's a biker booting off a mirror, someone drink driving, a random unprovoked attack, or child abuse. Not everyone in society adds value, and their absence might improve things in some small way.

I'm saying that it's not the physical damage that'd piss me off - it's the horrendous attitude and actions of this individual that would make me consider them not THAT big a loss to society.

And that counts whether it's a biker booting off a mirror, someone drink driving, a random unprovoked attack, or child abuse. Not everyone in society adds value, and their absence might improve things in some small way.
    I get where you're coming from although I don't agree with the sentiment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement