Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300mbps Wireless N USB Adaptor?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please recommend a good, reliable 300mbps Wireless N USB Adaptor please, preferably 'nano' size? I've been looking on amazon but am a bit lost as I've never bought them before:o

Cheers in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Not bad, but I'm looking for 300mbps and preferably a branded model that someone here has experience of using:) Thinking of getting 100mb UPC in shortly and need some of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's not likely that you will get and sustain 100mb over wireless, even with a "300mb" wireless adapter and compatible wireless router.

Best run a cable if you intend to download a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

livEwirE wrote: »
    Not bad, but I'm looking for 300mbps and preferably a branded model that someone here has experience of using:) Thinking of getting 100mb UPC in shortly and need some of these.
    Any reason for USB over PCI (internal)? It's likely that you will never reach full speed (~35 MB/s) using a USB 2.0 port, so bare that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're using 100Mb internet, do it justice and run ethernet. I'm using UPC's 25Mb pack at the moment and I see a noticeable drop in performance going from wired to wireless. This is with a 300Mb ASUS USB yoke.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately running cable is not an option, I just want to get the best out of the wireless that I can, my pc's are upstairs in my house and I want to put the UPC router downstairs behind my TV for a future HTPC that I will be putting there. Will an internel pci wireless card work better than a wireless usb adaptor in a desktop machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would a powerline adapter be better than a USB N device?

Or would an internal N card (laptop) be better than a USB 2 one?

livEwirE wrote: »
    Will an internel pci wireless card work better than a wireless usb adaptor in a desktop machine?

Yes, a USB Card will want the resources of the CPU to function as the PCI card will work independently of the CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a no-brainer, run a cable, a cat 5 cable does gigabit and is futureproof. Put a little thought into your cable routing, its only 6mm, you'd be surprised how easy it is to conceal. Bring it outside, hide it under the plaster plinth, run it upstairs behind the drainpipe, into the attic if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I've pretty much only ever used my PC with a wireless connection and I'm not sure if I've just been lucky, but my ping and connection seems to have held up great throughout the years :)

Even the odd time where I connected through a cable there wasn't a great deal in terms of speed. That being said, I wouldn't have had the greatest ISP through that time and if you're actually getting a high speed internet package, the wireless could well be a problem for you.

Otherwise, my own experience would suggest that certainly gaming & wireless is no problem at all :D

Although I'm sure a lot of people will have their own experiences to counter that xD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

BostonB wrote: »
    Would a powerline adapter be better than a USB N device?

Or would an internal N card (laptop) be better than a USB 2 one?

Homeplugs arent necessarily faster than a top-end wifi router coupled with top-end wifi cards. But they tend to be more stable.

With wifi you can be getting great speeds and then your neighbour starts hogging two channels of the spectrum at full broadcast power and your connection goes to sh1t.

Sometimes i've been tempted to hack into the neighbours router and turn it back to 20Mhz channel width, or turn their power down to 80% :pac: If you do a wireless survey, the amount of people running two bonded channels in 2.4Ghz band is ridiculous and most of them don't need it.
    Can someone please recommend a good, reliable 300mbps Wireless N USB Adaptor please, preferably 'nano' size?
    Stay away from nano adaptors if you want good performance, they are not suited for that.

Cheers for all the advice lads, my laptop has integrated N and my 2 hp tp's have, the only one I need wireless for is the desktop so I may look at an internal pci solution if it doesn't hog as many cpu resources:)

Advertisement