Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Work / SU Jobs

Options
  • 14-09-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering how to go about getting work with the SU and how to know if they are looking for people etc. and if it's difficult to get work with them, or where to go to look for any on campus work?

Also, apart from on campus work, what do most people do for work at the moment? I literally can not find even a sniff of any part-time work and am entirely self dependant so I MUST work in order to survive, and am getting a little bit worried now. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Eh, have you tried all the restaurants etc. on campus? I thought if Kylemore had taken them over they might have needed some extra staff?

Argos and Penneys are both looking for Christmas staff starting from October?
    Luckily I got a job doing general office type work on campus myself but that was hard to come by.

It might be worth asking around within your department in college if they need any people for research or clerical work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Eh, have you tried all the restaurants etc. on campus? I thought if Kylemore had taken them over they might have needed some extra staff?

Argos and Penneys are both looking for Christmas staff starting from October?
    Luckily I got a job doing general office type work on campus myself but that was hard to come by.

It might be worth asking around within your department in college if they need any people for research or clerical work etc.
    From the looks of things they've just kept on all the previous staff, actually. Though they've shuffled some people around.

OP, what kind of work do you have experience with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Mostly office based, I worked in finance for a few years, but have some bar and retail experience too. (I'm a mature student - 28)

Mostly though, I'm reliable and very eager to work, so I was just hoping on the off chance someone on here might have suggestions or know of some student work that might be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The SU shops are always looking for staff. The best thing to do is drop in a CV and ask for a word with the manager. They are good about getting back to people.

The handiest thing about the job is that is can be worked completely around your timetable and you can do as many or as few hours as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I don't know how good you with computers / what course you are doing, but I spent some time fixing up some of the college websites, and also working at open evenings/college events/as a subject demonstrator.

The demonstrator work is hard to come by as an undergrad (if you are one), but they usually look for people to work at events, it isn't constant work but it's at least a few extra quid in your pocket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement