Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any car sat nav accept Irish Grid coodinates (Eastings and Northings)

Options
  • 14-09-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have looked on numerous website and shops but i cant find a car sat nav that uses irish grid coordinates. Surely there is one company out there. I use them a lot for work and have to spend hours converting the easting and northings into longitude and latitude so we can find the locations using sat nav. If anyone knows of such a sat nav it would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure if it helps, but you can enter the co-ordinates directly into Garmin Mapsource on a PC and then transfer them to a Garmin device. I've often done that in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I don't think there is any routing sat nav that will take Irish Grid co-ordinates.

I used to have a similar problem in the UK, had to locate culverts on Network Rail starting with just a line code and chainage in a Sectional Appendix, had to tie that down on the OS and then convert the grid ref to Lat and Long to navigate as nearest access point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I think the Garmin Nuvi 550 lets you input Irish Grid directly as it was intended to be a multi-purpose satnav and trekking device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OSI is dropping the Northing Easting thing anyway so why bother converting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

OSI is dropping the Northing Easting thing anyway so why bother converting

OSI may be phasing in ITM to replace Irish Grid, but it is still a grid system and still uses Eastings and Northings.

The OP has to work with what I presume to be historical data. If it is in a database or spreadsheet then it should be possible to convert everything to GPS format at once. If the data is from printed records, then it obviously makes it a much harder task.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Kev
    I take it post codes might help you ??.
    There is a firm out their whom convert coordinates into post codes, unfortunately link went west along with my old puter.
    Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Advertisement