Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullied at work !

Options
  • 14-09-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

A person i worked under screamed abuse at me and told lies about me for 12 months.

I have spoken to the guy in my position before me. He said he left because he was being bullied.

A guy filled my position after me for two weeks and he threatened to quit after 2 weeks. He said he was being bullied and was moved to a different position.

I spoke to the head of my department. He yelled at me that he didn't want to hear it and would just shout at me to shut up when i tried to tell him about the situation. He also called me stupid and told me it was all my fault what was happening.

I went for a second meeting with my department head and basically forced the information on him despite him telling me to shut up etc. Eventually he lost his temper and said, "he brings a lot of money to this department, i don't give a **** what he does."

I went to a medical doctor that is on staff. It is a large company. The minute i mentioned this persons name and said he was a bully the doctor ate the head off me and told me to get out of the company and was really, really hostile.

Eventually I left the company as i felt physically sick going to work. A few years later I heard the bully had been promoted to head of department :confused:

I felt the whole experience was lousy and the way the company handled it was disgraceful.

How should I go about dealing with this. It's obvious the culture at the department is rotten. Should I complain to a higher up person in the company ?

If I wrote an honest letter explaining the facts would I be liable to be sued ?

I know i am morally right, but could a letter signed by me exposing the situation end up with me being sued ?

you know how the law can be.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

lucozader wrote: »
    A person i worked under screamed abuse at me and told lies about me for 12 months.

I have spoken to the guy in my position before me. He said he left because he was being bullied.

A guy filled my position after me for two weeks and he threatened to quit after 2 weeks. He said he was being bullied and was moved to a different position.

I spoke to the head of my department. He yelled at me that he didn't want to hear it and would just shout at me to shut up when i tried to tell him about the situation. He also called me stupid and told me it was all my fault what was happening.

I went for a second meeting with my department head and basically forced the information on him despite him telling me to shut up etc. Eventually he lost his temper and said, "he brings a lot of money to this department, i don't give a **** what he does."

I went to a medical doctor that is on staff. It is a large company. The minute i mentioned this persons name and said he was a bully the doctor ate the head off me and told me to get out of the company and was really, really hostile.

Eventually I left the company as i felt physically sick going to work. A few years later I heard the bully had been promoted to head of department :confused:

I felt the whole experience was lousy and the way the company handled it was disgraceful.

How should I go about dealing with this. It's obvious the culture at the department is rotten. Should I complain to a higher up person in the company ?

I know i am morally right, but could a letter signed by me exposing the situation end up with me being sued ?

you know how the law can be.

thanks

why didnt you try HR?

unfortunately bullying is common practise and there are people who get away with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

But this was a few years ago? And you have left the company now?

I am interested in what you hope to achieve by sending in the letter? Sounds like a ****ty situation, but if there is no real upside to you writing a letter and the downside is that the company may drag you into court (regardless of who is morally right), then I don't see the risk/benefit ratio being that good for you.

At the same time, it is always horrible to hear about pricks like that getting promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

that ture. did the company not do a leaving interview with you? that was ur chance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why do you need to deal with it? What, exactly, do you want to happen?

Do you want to sue them for compensation? - see a lawyer.

Do you want Mr Nasty exposed and fired?

Do you want the company's reputation sullied so that they lose customers and go bankrupt?

Do you want to "save" other people from the same fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i want the dude fired i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

i want the dude fired i guess

Best Revenge is a happy life. He's not worth getting wound up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coffeeandshoes

Hey there lucozader,

I’m so sorry you’re going through such a hard time and I hope you can prove it somehow. Please know you’re not alone as I went through a similar experience when I first moved to Dublin last year to move in with my Irish partner. I was really excited to start work because I had just moved and didn’t have any friends in Dublin yet, except my partner of course. So I really wanted a girlfriend to go shopping and for cocktails with! When I started with said firm I made friends with another really nice girl in the office my age (she was 24) and was really saddened when one day she disappeared off the roster?! She was apparently phone called by my then manager and let go due to “lack of hours” but I was later told by a colleague who was leaving that she was let go because the manager “didn’t like her”. She didn’t really drink allot and everyone else usually went out for a cigarette together so I guess she didn’t fit in. I noticed allot of cliquey behaviour going on with the girl’s, some would go for drinks together after work and never invite me unless it was a big event. At the xmas party I was mett with lots of fake patronising “Hiiiiii”’s and hug’s but I really felt quite uncomfortable. I left last year as my partner was luckily making enough income to support us both and have been a homemaker ever since which I love. I feel sad though sometime’s because I really would like to work somewhere nice and make some contacts.. Is it an option for you to perhaps look for another job? Feel free to PM me btw if you ever want someone to talk too :( x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I see bullying going on every day in any company ive worked in, especially since the recession started. Certain people are just picked on and certain people are just bullies.

People are afraid to report it, because, to be honest, the bully is always backed up by the company. No company wants to admit that bullying goes on, especially if the bully is in a high position.
    Its very, very hard to prove it, even if you are brave enough to report it.

One thing I have seen work very, very well though is people recording the bullying on their phones audio recorders. The bully has no comeback at all and is caught in the act.

Record all meetings with your phone on record in your pocket. Tell nobody you are doing this. When you have had enough and have to report the bully to HR, just play the recordings. Case closed. If the bully is not fired on the spot, then you can take it further. If you have to take it further get a solicitor straight away. Do not believe a word anyone in the company tells you, if the bully is not fired. They are not on your side. You will need a solicitor then.

Make sure that you backup all the episodes from your phone though before you play it, because ive seen company phones just taken on the spot, and the evidence disappeared.

Remember, no bully has a leg to stand on if you produce recorded evidence. They cannot deny it. Its not just your word against theirs. You have actual irrefutable evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Record all meetings with your phone on record in your pocket. Tell nobody you are doing this. When you have had enough and have to report the bully to HR, just play the recordings. Case closed. If the bully is not fired on the spot, then you can take it further. If you have to take it further get a solicitor straight away. Do not believe a word anyone in the company tells you, if the bully is not fired. They are not on your side. You will need a solicitor then.

Not bullied in work or anything but this is something I always do and it's generally good advice to have the phone ready anyway.

Dealings can be pretty dodgy over here (China) and contracts are often not worth the paper they're printed on. Recordings are a good backup.

Advertisement