Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winter jacket

• 14-09-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I need a winter jacket and see that cycle superstore have a deal today on one. Is it a good jacket and us it a good deal. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

Assos best gear around!

If I had the money I would have bought one myself.

The gear will last years and keep you nice and warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

brians947 wrote: »
    I need a winter jacket and see that cycle superstore have a deal today on one. Is it a good jacket and us it a good deal. Thanks.

It is an absolutely great jacket and it is a great deal.
    I have two of them, and paid a fair bit more for them than the CSS offer.

I wore it in the freezing cold for the past two winters and could not complain about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

ROK ON wrote: »
    It is an absolutely great jacket and it is a great deal.
    I have two of them, and paid a fair bit more for them than the CSS offer.

I wore it in the freezing cold for the past two winters and could not complain about it at all.

Anyone have a link for the jacket on offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/deal.asp

Just Bought it. :)

Offer only for one day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Great jacket, tempted to get another one, must resist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a nice jacket alright, and good gear is worth the investment.

Also worth considering joining a club and buying club gear. They'd be cheaper than that offer and the quality in my experience is absolutely top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Is it fully waterproof?

fat bloke wrote: »

Also worth considering joining a club and buying club gear. They'd be cheaper than that offer and the quality in my experience is absolutely top notch.

The quality of the club gear will be totally dependant on the manufacturer though!

murph226 wrote: »
    The quality of the club gear will be totally dependant on the manufacturer though!

The quality of the *insert noun here" will be totally dependent on the manufacturer.

Established cycling clubs, run by cyclists, who road test their own (subsidised) gear all year round, are not going to sell their members sh1tty gear. If they did, they'd hear about it quick smart.

Sh1t happens!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No club gear will come anywhere near the quality of that Assos jacket - I stopped buying them after my 3rd, mainly because Assos brought an even better one out;)
    dedon wrote: »
    Is it fully waterproof?
    No - it pretty much windproof though and, importantly, breathable. You buy this jacket to keep you warm, not dry (although it will keep light showers out)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Damn this site Im now ordering a Giro Helmet and this jacket (the wife is buying it as a christmas present!).

Quick question whats the deal with the sizes? Im 6'0" biggish build take a large t shirt etc but having bought a cycling gillet in my size only to find it was skin tight on me and more an italian size, should I be ordering bigger here.

Also will css let me exchange it should the size be wrong being its on offer?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm 6' 2" and just under 90kg. One of the reasons I've ended up with 3 of these (in addition to getting various colour matches) is I now find the XL quite snug, and the XLGs are pretty much surplus to requirements nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Im going to order an xlg as long as css will swap if its way too big for an xl

Beasty wrote: »
    No club gear will come anywhere near the quality of that Assos jacket

Well, it's another opinion.

I've two club winter jackets from two different clubs. Current one is three years old. Never felt the need to purchase another, and I can't fault it in any way.

I take it you've never tried that Assos one then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Bought one of these late last year. During the frosty weather when i did manage to get out, one base layer (Vest) and this jacket was all i needed for 3-6 degreesspins
    Best bit of kit i bought yet.
    My clubgear which is made by spin 11 is not a patch on this. There is a reason it costs so much and is rated so highly

I take it you've never tried that Assos one then;)

Swap ya?

Y'know, if you're cold, you could always try pedaling faster :P

Swap ya?

Y'know, if you're cold, you could always try pedaling faster :P
    I suspect my spare may be a bit large for you. I've actually got a few of the Assos top of the range Fugu jackets also - much warmer than even the Airjack 851 - tend to use them when the temperature dips beneath about -5 or so (not that I ever notice the cold)

In terms of pedalling faster - I find there is a limit;)

In terms of pedalling faster - I find there is a limit;)

Yeah.

your jacket.:pac:

Ba dum tish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

It's cheaper with CycleSurgery and Rose Bikes.

Kicking myself that I missed this! Anyone know where else I could pick up a blue or black one at around this price. Other sites recommended have a poor selection range!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Any pointers on Winter gear for those of us who can't afford* to swan about in Assos gear? Or will I just be wearing my Boards Winter Jacket again until Spring?

*Apparently I'm legally required to feed my children EVERY day. Bloody nanny state.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I got a Altura Night Vision from Wiggle for about 66 euro using one of their discount codes. Windproof, waterproof, fleece collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

bought one of these last night at about 11.30pm.

woke up guilty, and lemag has just made it worse...

beans on toast for me for the duration of the winter, but hey, at least i'll be warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Best jacket I've ever owned:

http://www.urbanhunter.biz/shop/catalogue.php?item_id=962

Not cheap but worth every penny (and it's not Assos;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

ccull123 wrote: »
    Kicking myself that I missed this! Anyone know where else I could pick up a blue or black one at around this price. Other sites recommended have a poor selection range!

Cyclesurgery in Dundrum had a few on sale when I was in there last week - can't remember how much though!

Brilliant jacket - I have one that's about 8 years old and still perfect! Bought another one last year in a sale!
    I know it's contentscious but in my opinion you just can't beat Assos gear!!

The Airjack 851 is being discontinued and the retailers are clearing their decks for the new (more expensive!) range of Assos jackets that are due to arrive in the next few weeks. If anyone wants one I would suggest they try and get them now while they are still around (and discounted!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

G rock wrote: »
    bought one of these last night at about 11.30pm.

woke up guilty, and lemag has just made it worse...

beans on toast for me for the duration of the winter, but hey, at least i'll be warm!
    Apologies. I'm sure your guilt will have alleviated somewhat once you head out on a bitter cold spin with your fancy new Assos jacket. If you're looking for a specific item the 'Google Product Search' can come in very handy. It took me seconds to find the two above links. FWIW, the CycleSuperStore Wednesday deals can quite often be beaten on price elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

www.Dare2b.com have a very good sale on at the minute. Their stuff is very good, same company as Regatta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

daragh_ wrote: »
    Any pointers on Winter gear for those of us who can't afford* to swan about in Assos gear? Or will I just be wearing my Boards Winter Jacket again until Spring?

*Apparently I'm legally required to feed my children EVERY day. Bloody nanny state.
    Merino base layer, this and an endura gilet and i cant remember ever being cold on the bike. Get gilets tight so your not cycling with a parachute.

Id prob spend a bit more on good tights tho - my santini h2o ones are miles warmer than my bog standard santini ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I collected my jacket at lunchtime today. It feels a lovely piece of kit but I was expecting that as any other Assos gear I have is excellent.

Now I can't wait for the frost to try it out.

anybody know what the sizing is like on these jackets (assos). Im 5"10 and about 155 pounds.

im thinking a medium but just want to be sure before i order one online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

I got an Assos winter jacket 9 years ago, it's my daily commute jacket during the winter and still as good as new .

If you can get one on sale, get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

anybody know what the sizing is like on these jackets (assos). Im 5"10 and about 155 pounds.

The Assos sizing guide is pretty good! In my experience their XL is about equivalent to L in UK makes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm about 5'11" and 160 pounds and the medium is a good fit for me. Should fit you grand. Great jacket, by the way.

Advertisement