Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny boxer !!

• 14-09-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have had my boxer for 4and half years now and dont seem to be able to put any weight on him at all, i have tried every food out there and also tried different amounts and still the same , Now he weights about 29kg and vet said he is healthy ,, Anyone else have a dog like this ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

richievo7 wrote: »
    I have had my boxer for 4and half years now and dont seem to be able to put any weight on him at all, i have tried every food out there and also tried different amounts and still the same , Now he weights about 29kg and vet said he is healthy ,, Anyone else have a dog like this ???

Boxers are notorious for this, particularly when they are growing. Your fella would be long since grown by now. What kind of frame does he have, is he tall and lanky or is he just plain skinny. Also did the vet say that he needed to put up weight. Have you noticed him having any digestive issues, i.e. diarrhoea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 richievo7

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Boxers are notorious for this, particularly when they are growing. Your fella would be long since grown by now. What kind of frame does he have, is he tall and lanky or is he just plain skinny. Also did the vet say that he needed to put up weight. Have you noticed him having any digestive issues, i.e. diarrhoea etc.

He is kinda lanky , but has good muscle tone , he just isnt as broad as alot of boxers ive seen,,,
    No vet said he is perfectly healthy and said he has good muscle tone and thats what inmportant . Its like he has the frame of a german pointer if that makes sense ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

richievo7 wrote: »

He is kinda lanky , but has good muscle tone , he just isnt as broad as alot of boxers ive seen,,,
    No vet said he is perfectly healthy and said he has good muscle tone and thats what inmportant . Its like he has the frame of a german pointer if that makes sense ??

It does, my fella is of a similar frame at the moment but he's still growing. What kind of food do you have him on, something with high protein might bulk him up.

It does, my fella is of a similar frame at the moment but he's still growing. What kind of food do you have him on, something with high protein might bulk him up.

I had him on high protien stuff made no difference at all, and had him on royal canine and science plan and millers all with the same results ,, an the more i feed him the more i have to clean up in the back :(

My other boxer is a bitch and she is smaller but a little wit wider they on the same food !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Boxers are well known for this. Try increasing his dry food by about 10 - 15%; I have never known a boxer to thrive on the food weight as directed by the bag. Just watch their eating so your bitch doesn't start eating extra too.

Another good way to add bulk is to feed him a peanut butter sandwich every day.

However, all that said, its a lot better for a dog to be underweight than overweight.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Boxers are well known for this. Try increasing his dry food by about 10 - 15%; I have never known a boxer to thrive on the food weight as directed by the bag. Just watch their eating so your bitch doesn't start eating extra too.

Another good way to add bulk is to feed him a peanut butter sandwich every day.

However, all that said, its a lot better for a dog to be underweight than overweight.

Peanut butter sandwich ? lol ill try that !!! he will think its his birthday ha ha ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If the vet thinks he's ok then I wouldn't worry, its healthier for the dog to be thin.
    When one of mine was very thin (even the vet said too thin) my vet gave me this recipe,
    2 whole chicken thighs, some chopped veggies (carrots, green beans, broccoli and sweet potato or turnip), brown rice and water, place all ingredients in a casserole dish and cook, leave to cool and pick out the chicken, remove all the bones and mix in the meat well.

Add a bit of this to the food for a couple of weeks, he should bulk up a bit.

Does he eat all his food? or does he walk away and leave it?
    My fella often walked away after a few bites, he would sometimes go 2 days without food, no matter what I fed him he wasn't bothered.
    The above recipe put a little weight on, just enough that he wasn't all bones, then I got another dog and he started eating better. He's still slim but not the bag of bones he was.
    Vet told me once he had a small layer over the ribs he was fine, my fella is very hairy so hard to see how thin but on a boxer you shouldn't be able to see all the hip and spine bones, but should be able to see clearly defined ribs.
    Most boxers are a little heavy, they should be slim and muscular.

Just to add, my fella is currently eating about half the recommended amount on the food bag, but he's full of life and very playfull, vet said once he has plenty of energy thats a good sign he's ok.

Advertisement