Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a household cat

• 14-09-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

Were looking to get a young kitten into the apartment. However, i'm sceptical about the private ads on the net!

Are there breeders or a place where you can go to get a kitten?

Can you recommend where, please and if anyone has got a kitten there before.

Also, can i get peoples general experience with having a cat in an apartment?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know plenty of people that have cats in apartments no problem, do you have a balcony?
    I know a few people that got very fine netting to cover balcony and make it safe for the cat. Gives them somewhere to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine(or rain).
    If you look online for any of the rescues in your area you should have no problem finding a kitten at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Since you have mentioned breeders this gives the impression you are looking for a pedigree kitten, in which case try this site

If you are looking for a non-pedigree kitten, there are so many of them that people will practically pay you to take one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Op we have a 2 year old maine coon cat in an apartment,

We bought him of this lady http://www.sabcci.com/actual_breeders_page.html#Kinga who breeds coonies and british shorthairs in Roscrea. I've been down to see her setup twice and she has the most adorable cats and kittens.
    http://reyesdeselva.com/
    She sometimes advertises availability on donedeal but always has the link to her website. She is above board!

WE had considered getting a rescue but you had to get it okayed by your management company and officially our management company does not allow pets so we decided to buy a cat privately and went for a pedigree :)

We have had no major problems with keeping the cat in the apartment. The only thing is we have to be very vigiliant when opening doors/windows to air the apartment. We are a few floors up and our cat is very curious and likes to chase birds - so sometimes my heart does be in my mouth if he gets out and takes a swipe at the bird. We are considering making a little netted area for him to chill out in,on the balcony.

The other thing is our cat is trained to use the toilet so we don't have a litter tray. Litter trays can be smelly so I would take this into consideration if your apartment is small.
    Kitty will also need a cat tree and our fellow loves to sit high up on his surveying the city below him.

Apart from lots of cat fluff around the place and having my head jumped on at 5 in the morning it's great having a cat in an apartment 028.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hakikima

hi,

I don't think you should restrain yourself from buying a cat from private seller.
    I found my cat about three month ago on Gumtree.
    Some people are giving them for free others ask you to pay for a small amount.

As for a life in an appartment, it's not bad for a kitty, what's important is that you have plenty of things to keep him busy, toys etc.. you don't necessarily have to go to petshop to buy good toys for them. My kitten for example had a favorite toy that was a carton from lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

We have a pure bred Siamese male, he is 7 months old now. He is the most gorgeous cat, so affectionate and loving, and extremely good natured. He is a little loud at times, but very entertaining(he actually demands cuddles:p) We found the litter on donedeal, but his breeders were legit and have their own website and are members of the relevant cat clubs etc. He came fully vaccinated with papers, GCCF registered, and a weeks supply of food. We have another cat that goes outdoors, but the siamese has little or no interest, and as an indoor cat, he is doing fine. All my previous cats have been rescues, and I felt slightly guilty buying a purebred cat, but he is a really special little guy(aswell as looking just beautiful!)and now I don't regret it at all. Feel free to pm if you want any breeder details etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If you are looking for a pedigree cat go to the sabcci site. If you tell us what you are looking for I'm sure one of us here can give you a good breeders name.
    If not try cats aid or dspca.
    No problems keeping a cat in an apartment once they have toys scratch post and human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but Im looking for the exact same thing as the OP.
    I was thinking of going to the DSPCA this weekend, but officially our management compnay dont allow pets either-even though the landlady said it was fine, they wont sign off on it officially. So I'd be looking at private. I want a non pedigree kitten preferably ginger or grey, but really anything apart from black/white. Anyone know of any decent breeders/people looking to rehome kitties? :)

Advertisement