Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a BER assessment??

• 14-09-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello, i am building a new house and was wondering do i need a BER assessment done or is this only needed if you are selling or renting a house, any information would be great thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dreamer21 wrote: »
    Hello, i am building a new house and was wondering do i need a BER assessment done or is this only needed if you are selling or renting a house, any information would be great thanks
    New homes where planning permission was applied for on or after the 1st of January 2007. A new dwelling (i.e. a dwelling that has never been sold or occupied) is exempt from the BER requirement if it had been the subject of a planning application submitted on or before 31 December 2006 and if it was substantially completed by 30 June 2008. "Substantially completed" means that the external walls have been erected.
    http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/Homeowners/Who_needs_a_BER_.html

may i strongly recommend you do your provisional BER calculation when your arch is preparing the tender drawings.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

+1 on the above, but just to simplify, if you are starting a house build now, you definitely do need a BER certificate before you occupy.

Also, in order for you to know what you need to include in the specification of your house, you need to get a provisional BER assessment done before you start getting prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

Thats great, thanks for the replys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Achieving compliance with the renewable requirements and the carbon coefficients is quite difficult in the usual larger one off type houses and needs to be planned well in advance so it dosnt end up costing you a lot in the end!!

Advertisement