Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 pairs of socks

• 14-09-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I have issues with my achilles & ankle and I have begun using compression socks for my calf/achilles.

The issue I have is the compression socks dont have sufficient cushioning (equal to what I was using in my ankle running socks anyway). I am thinking that wearing 2 pairs of socks might give me sufficient cushioning whilst allowing me to wear the compression socks but I fear they could cause issues over the 26.2 miles.....

Any advice/experiences is appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I have the perfect solution,buy a pair of calf sleeves.The sleeves will give you adequate compression and you can still wear your normal socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Paddy, just have a look at this thread on compression wear. It may be of help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056386101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm struggling to think of any socks that have cushioning in them. The cushioning is on your shoes, not the socks.

I definitely would not wear 2 pairs of socks, though. They'll rub against each other and will make you much more prone to blisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

I have the perfect solution,buy a pair of calf sleeves.The sleeves will give you adequate compression and you can still wear your normal socks.

+ 1 on the calf guards. I'm fussy with the socks, so can wear what you like with the calf guards.

As pointed out, there are other threads on calf guards, but be careful what you go for.

Like the OP, I have ongoing achillies issues and I find the Compressport and Zoot Rx (the Rx bit is important...) great, but a number of others were of the cosmetic variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm struggling to think of any socks that have cushioning in them. The cushioning is on your shoes, not the socks.

I definitely would not wear 2 pairs of socks, though. They'll rub against each other and will make you much more prone to blisters.

I used to suffer from blisters when wearing 1 pair of socks so i upped it to two pairs when starting my training back in May. This helped me avoid any further blisters and caused me no ill effects whatsoever.
    Essesntially the 1,000 mile socks consist of two layers gliding over each other, with one staying snug to the foot and the other to the insole.
    i have reverted back to only one pair in the past couple of weeks as my feet seem to have toughened up over the past few months of mileage.
    However, i have been thinking myself that perhaps the loss of the extra layer has meant I have possibly lost a little cushioning also...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Regarding the cusioning in socks there is a difference.Thorlo do a very padded sock and some of the nike socks are also very cushioned.

2layers helps as the outside moves and the inside(touching the skin)doesn;t move.
    On previous experience 2 layers will only give you blisters if they are filling up the shoe therfore not giving you enough room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

belcarra wrote: »
    Essesntially the 1,000 mile socks consist of two layers gliding over each other, with one staying snug to the foot and the other to the insole.

Funnily enough, those are the only make of socks I ever got blisters in. Just goes to show that we're all different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Funnily enough, those are the only make of socks I ever got blisters in. Just goes to show that we're all different.

Likewise.

Although now I can run in any socks - cheapo ones, dress ones, woolen ones, whatever. Eventually the skin on your feet gets though and resists blistering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

+2. Had a pair of the double layered socks, they got wet during a marathon and tore my feet to shreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm all set for running without blisters now thankfully (did 24 miles last weekend without any issues).
    However, once I step onto a 5 a side pitch playing soccer I feel the blisters appear immediately - It really cuts my feet up!:( (I have given all soccer a miss while marathon training this time round thanks to TFB's advice about 12 months ago!)
    I wonder will they fall to bits when i return playing in November...:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement