Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So we found a dog...

• 14-09-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Well, my brother in law found a dog today. He was working on a building site when he noticed this puppy walking around, it was there all day while he was working.. The site wasn't near any houses so the dog was far from home. She also had no collar but has a rather tight mark around her neck, looks like she was tied up or had a very very tight collar on.. He left a note in with a local vet I think and brought the dog home, as he has a dog and we where planning on getting one we now have this lovely little dog in our home..

I stuck a note in the lost a found thread and I'm gonna head down to the dogs trust tomorrow to see if she's been chipped. Other than that is there anything I should do. If we do keep her I'm guessing we need to get a dog license and register with our local vet? I've never had a dog of my own before, always had dogs in the family so not entirely sure what the best practice is when a dog is found.. anyone any tips?

IMG_1047%252520copy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Notify the local pound and the local Garda station. If no-one claims him in a week, he's yours.
    Otherwise anyone can lay a claim on him for a year and a day and come and take him off your hands. So do that tomorrow.

If you do get to hold onto him, you're very lucky, he's gorgeous. I'll be honest though, from the picture he looks in great condition so I'd be surprised if he's been abandoned. Any local rescue should be able to scan him for a chip.

You don't necessarily have to register with a local vet, but if he's unchipped and no-one claims him, then take him to a vet to get him checked out. The vet should be able to give you a good idea of how old he is, what breed he is (looks like a spaniel), check him for any underlying illnesses and give him all the necessary shots and tablets to get you started.

You have no idea if the dog has been wormed or vacc'ed or anything so if you can, try to keep him in the garden until you get him to a vet - i.e. don't let him near another dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Lovely looking dog. Obviously check that the puppy is chipped or not. Leave some flyers in local shops about missing dog. Not sure how long you should wait before you can consider him/her as yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thats what I was thinking, she's in too good a shape to be a stray.. She looks well looked after and fed. I'll give shank ill garda station a call tomorrow and see where the nearest pound is..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A springer! or strong springer x! Lovely! Mad as a brush, but lovely!
    Your legal obligation is to inform the guards and/or the pound, but in reality, you're much better off contacting the pound. The guards will probably tell you to contact the pound anyway.
    Tell the pound that you are going to hold the pup for his required 5 days, and make sure, absolutely sure, that they have entered them in their books.
    Do not budge on the fact that you're holding him for his 5 days, some pounds insist you bring the dog in, but you are not legally obliged to do so. You may tell them you'll keep the pup if unclaimed.
    If you don't do this, then the rightful owner legally has 366 days to claim their pup back. Obviously, this is a disaster if it happens in some months' time when you're all well and truly attached to each other. But despite this, the owner has every right to take their pup back.
    So, you can see the importance of pup going through the pound's books if you're keen to keep him.
    Good luck, he's a fine looking lil fella!

Edited to add: oops! I see he is a she! Please amend all my he's, him's, and fella's above as appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

He is defo someones baby, he is just adorale.

Springers have this nack of reeling you in to make you love them in a matter of mins...

Dont fall for it ;)

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking, she's in too good a shape to be a stray.. She looks well looked after and fed. I'll give shank ill garda station a call tomorrow and see where the nearest pound is..
    The pound for DLR is

Dog Pound
    61 Foster Avenue
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin.
    Telephone: 01 288 7870

Ask them first if they can scan for chips. If not, many vets do, but the DSPCA is also much closer to you than DT and can scan for you*

(*Mods, snip if against the new rule!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

IIRC in order to relinquish the dog of its former owners it has to do it's 5 days in the pound, just leaving your details with them is not enough. If you report it at a garda station or just leave the details at the pound the previous owner can claim it any time up until a year and a day has passed. I don't recommend the later at all, we lost a dog in the past this way. Owner turned up, took the dog back and had it PTS the following day :mad:

Relevant legislation:

Finding a stray dog

Stray dogs

If you choose to leave him in the pound make it perfectly clear you want him back, check with them every day if he has been claimed and re-iterate the fact that you want him back. You will have to pay the release fee when his time is up which is around €30 and includes the licence fee when the dog officially becomes yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Maybe post her pic and details up on 'Lostdogs.ie'

Im just thinking of some owner tonight that is in bits with worry.

IIRC in order to relinquish the dog of its former owners it has to do it's 5 days in the pound, just leaving your details with them is not enough.
    It seems iffy. The person finding the stray dog is required by law to give notice to the warden, and in turn the warden is obliged to make an entry in the register.

However, the five days' rule would appear to only apply where the dog has been seized by the warden or Garda and entered in the register.

It's ambiguous.

However, the law doesn't require the warden to detain the dog for five days, simply to have seized it. There's nothing in law to say that the warden can't seize the dog, stick it on the register then release it into the OP's care for the five days.

All of the Dublin pounds are very good with managing dogs and trying to rehome them, but if they insist on holding the dog for the five days, then do what AJ says.

The best scenario is the owner reclaims the dog and that said owner is a good one. Next best scenario you get to keep that beautiful looking dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sometimes pounds will let a dog do it's 5 days with a rescue, but not with Joe Public, I know my local rescue have to send their dogs to do their 5 days the same as everyone else. There are 2 separate registers, the one for dogs that have done their 5 days and a lost dog register which follows the year and a day rule.

Some pounds may well consider the dog to have done its 5 days with the OP, what I would say is to make it clear that you want legal ownership transferred to you and make sure you pay the release fee and get a receipt for it, you can't really go wrong then.

(Have been though this many times with various 'foundlings', when you were a kid and someone said their dog went to live in the country, they usually gave it to people like me, without telling me of course :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

She is a nice looking dog and looks well taken care of. It's not entirely unusual to find fit dogs set loose however, I've known some people who had the idea that it was kinder to let the dog go wild rather than put it in a pound where it might be put down. I think most of our pets as kids were dogs that strolled through the gate looking hungry. Hopefully her owner will find her through the pound and if not make sure you look after her if that's what you plan. My poor dog died this afternoon (hence my scrolling through threads looking at pics of dogs :)) and they can be wonderful friends. She has a friendly look and I'm sure you'll have great times with her if that's the way it pans out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

seamus wrote: »
    The pound for DLR is

Dog Pound
    61 Foster Avenue
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin.
    Telephone: 01 288 7870

Ask them first if they can scan for chips. If not, many vets do, but the DSPCA is also much closer to you than DT and can scan for you*

(*Mods, snip if against the new rule!)

The pound for DLR has been the same pound as the SDCC since Jan 2010.

Contact details are

Blackhall Kennels
    Summerhill Rd.,
    Dunboyne,
    Co. Meath
    01 8026676

Warden details are here http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/environmentcultureandcommunity/contactus/

Most vets will scan for a chip for free so just pop down to your local vet.

So I rang the pound for south dublin, explained the situation. Told me they'd send a dog warden out to collect the dog. Told them that we'd rather keep the dog here for 5 days etc. Told me the dog has to spend 5 days in the pound first so I agreed to it.. I'm based in Swords but the dog was found in Shankill.. They won't pick the dog up as we're in Fingal county council, they said the dog would have to go to a pound in Fingal, I said that that's a bit pointless as the owner isn't gonna look there for their lost dog. She said that's the way it is and told me to ring Fingal coco. Seems a bit stupid to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So I rang the pound for south dublin, explained the situation. Told me they'd send a dog warden out to collect the dog. Told them that we'd rather keep the dog here for 5 days etc. Told me the dog has to spend 5 days in the pound first so I agreed to it.. I'm based in Swords but the dog was found in Shankill.. They won't pick the dog up as we're in Fingal county council, they said the dog would have to go to a pound in Fingal, I said that that's a bit pointless as the owner isn't gonna look there for their lost dog. She said that's the way it is and told me to ring Fingal coco. Seems a bit stupid to me..

My dog two dogs went missing on Monday and I rang ALL the pounds around looking for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd be inclined to hang onto her then. If the pound aren't going to do their job then there's absolutely no point in sending the pup to Ashton especially if you're going to keep her anyway, pups can pick up all sorts in pounds.

If you really want to follow this through then I'd get onto the DLR warden direct - details listed on the site I posted earlier but I strongly doubt he's going to go to Swords to get the dog.

Get your brother to post up posters in the area, notify local vets and guards, post up lost and found notices one lostdogs.ie, lostandfound.ie, lostandfoundpets.ie, pets.ie and get her scanned for a chip. After that I don't see there's much else you can do.

Did the pound take your details in case the owners rings them?

Suppose, I'd do the same myself.. On my way to the vet to get her scanned for a chip, will ring fin gal pound when I get back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

where was he found, there is a sign up around here for a missing springer.
    looks a bit older from the pics but hard to say for certain as it was a few days ago.

seagrange park, baldoyle was where it was reported last seen.
    will walk up later and if poster is still there get you the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sorry, just read your post about shankill, unless he got the dart it seems unlikely.
    best of luck finding the owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sorry off topic - January, did you find your dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

you're to look after the pup in the meantime, i hope he gets reunited with his owner

Sorry off topic - January, did you find your dogs?

Yep :) Both returned safe and sound by Tuesday evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That's great news, January! Delighted to hear you got a happy ending.

So, after a bit of chasing around I finally found out that I've to contact the pound in Dunboyne Co. Meath. It makes absolutely no sense to me how a dog found in Shankill could end up in a pound in Co. Meath but then this is a special country...

I was down in dogs trust today with my sister and was telling them the story, they said as was recommended here to register the dog with the pound but tell them we want to keep it at home for the 5 days. They said it's happened before, just depends on the pound and who you're talking to. I'll be giving Dunboyne a call in the morn.. I had the dog down the vet, has no microchip and we got it vaccinated and wormed. Also had it's rear legs checked out as they seem quite weak. All this for a dog that isn't mine but sure I'd do it for any dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

All this for a dog that isn't mine but sure I'd do it for any dog!

Well then, I'd have to say that the universe knew what it was doing when that little thing wandered to where your brother-in-law was because while it may take some time to get back home (if she ever does), at least she's with you now and she's got someone in her corner to make sure nothing bad happens to her. Fair play to you, there's many that wouldn't.

If you loose a dog in Shankill it's not going to be easy locate the correct pound, dont you just love red tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilacmoon

Geez that photo really struck me, that pup looks identical to my wee springer, the age of it and everything. I hope everything works out. As someone said above, fair play to you for your genuine concern, it's nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

January wrote: »
    Yep :) Both returned safe and sound by Tuesday evening!

what do you think happened?

serenacat wrote: »
    what do you think happened?

Have a look here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056386843

• Advertisement
Advertisement