Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upping the abv?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Am a bit let down by my first two beer brews on the ABV % front. Both taste fine but was hoping for a higher abv.
    First brew was a coopers wheat beer kit with tin of liquid malt extract and WB06 yeast. ABV about 4.0%, 0.5% of which is an estimation for the bottle conditioning fermentation.
    Second brew was a muntons wheat beer kit with 1 Kg light spraymalt and Muntons yeast. ABV is about 3.5% again 0.5% of which is an estimation for bottle conditioning.

What could I do in the future with the ingredients to bump the ABV up towards 5% without substantially killing the taste? Could I add some dextrose instead of spraymalt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

do you put in the recommended amount of water? A few posters recommend a litre our two less which im gonna try next time with the coopers wheat..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You could add more spraymalt or, as Armelodie says, use less water.

It's usually better to brew too strong and then add water to bring it to the desired OG. But this is harder with kits where the water you add also serves to bring the wort down to pitching temperature.

Also, make sure you're stirring the mix very thoroughly when putting it together before pitching the yeast. I've made kit beers that have appeared to have a low OG just because they weren't mixed hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The easiest way is just to have more spraymalt on hand. You don't need loads of it - 250g - 500g will have a big influence on your ABV (I would prefer 250g to start with).

I have lots of experience with 'Earthy Brews' (like ginger beer and other stuff that uses just sucrose thats scary cheap). It is very easy to go overkill on the Sugar & ABV. I wouldn't want to mess too much with a beer, or make it too strong. You are probably aiming for a good 4.5 -5% ABV, I would be wary about going higher.

IME more sugar == longer fermentation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Easiest way without reducing volume is to add sugar, either white or demerera.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Easiest way without reducing volume is to add sugar, either white or demerera.
    But if you add too much it can have a detrimental effect on flavour.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    But if you add too much it can have a detrimental effect on flavour.
    Well the only thing white'll really end up adding is alcohol, and alcohol will affect flavour. Demerera will add a bit more than just alcohol. Up to about 10% of the bill is fine.

Depends on what you're aiming for tho.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Well the only thing white'll really end up adding is alcohol, and alcohol will affect flavour.
    You can get a nasty cidery off-flavour from using large quantities of white sugar.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can get a nasty cidery off-flavour from using large quantities of white sugar.
    Well ya, if you put in too much of it. Keep the quantity under control and it won't tho.

Advertisement