Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on SUAS Computers

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Please use facebook on your own time! dont know if its just me but i find it extremely annoying when i need to check my ucd email or timetable and i cant get on a computer cos theyre all checking out facebook. Methinks facebook should be blocked on the SUAS computers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Better they use it on the SUAS computers than in computer labs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's fairly annoying all right when you want to print something and only have a few minutes to go to lectures. An easy way is just to avoid the 'peak' areas - e.g. if all the SUAS computers are full in the arts block, going downstairs near dramasoc usually has free computers, or at least a lot less people waiting.

Going to Daedalus is often a good solution, there's never too big of a queue over there, especially for the Daedalus SUAS computers.

I used to go to the library copi-print computers, but someone told me they changed that now so you can't use old copi-print cards, you have to use your student card or something else, so I haven't a clue about that!

Or you could loan out a laptop in the library if you have time to check these things out (ideally the facebook-wasters would do this instead of hogging printable computers, but whatever!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Or, and stop me if this seems crazy, go up to someone on facebook and go "Hey, sorry to bother you, can I use that for 5 minutes to print something/check my timetable? I'm in a huge rush"

Nah, that's crazy. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Raphael wrote: »
    Or, and stop me if this seems crazy, go up to someone on facebook and go "Hey, sorry to bother you, can I use that for 5 minutes to print something/check my timetable? I'm in a huge rush"

Nah, that's crazy. Nevermind.

That is crazy talk. You'd be a social pariah instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Isn't the point of SUAS computers that everybody is in a rush? There should be some sort of 10 minute cut off point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Isn't the point of SUAS computers that everybody is in a rush? There should be some sort of 10 minute cut off point.
    It's only really a problem if there's a line forming. And in that case a polite request to move off does the trick nicely. It's worked wonders for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ah, and the complaining about people's selfish use of computers returns, term must've recommenced :)

Totally agree with Raphael, if someone is arsing around on a computer and you need it for something legitimate just ask them to move on.

Don't get me started on people using the computers in the library for games/facebook coming up to exams... Does my nut in if I forget my laptop and need to check something quickly. I noticed that coming up to the exams last semester the librocop's minions cracked down on it a lot more than in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

This isnt a new problem. It was a problem when I started 5 years ago, and still is.

As Raphael suggested, just ask them if you can use it for a second. All they can say is "no", and even then, I've yet to be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Its really annoying, especially when you look at what their friends say and its all crap.

--Posted from a SUAS compiter

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

First time I went to UCD back when I was in fifth year...first thing I remember seeing was a whole line of people on the suas computers on fb :p

Yeah, just politely ask someone that you're in a rush and need to check something. I've done that before and the person had no problem!

• Advertisement
Advertisement