Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using additional router with UPC

• 14-09-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I currently have UPC broadband. I have built a cabin in my back which unfortunately, cannot see the wifi in the house. I have a set of home plugs, and managed to get them working in the cabin (had an issue before, but it turns out it was a dodgy socket). I also have an old 3Com router. I want to be able to use the 3Com router in the cabin, connected via the home plugs. I changed the lan address from 192.168.x.x to 192.111.x.x and disabled DHCP. My laptop will connect, but will disconnect 5 seconds later. If i switch off my airport on my mac and back on, it will connect, but again switch off after 5 seconds. Is there anything I am missing, or have I set everything up wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nevermind!! I had it plugged into the DSL port, not the LAN port!! :o

Actually, can I leave DHCP enabled so I can use multiple devices with it, or am I getting confused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

antodeco wrote: »
    Nevermind!! I had it plugged into the DSL port, not the LAN port!! :o

Actually, can I leave DHCP enabled so I can use multiple devices with it, or am I getting confused?

I would turn off DCHP on the second router, leave it enabled on the UPC one though. There is more then enough ip address in the range for you to use without using two DCHP servers which will introduce routing issues.

Advertisement