Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit Card

• 14-09-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    just took the plunge last week to get 100mb connections from UPC.Wired into my laptop i was only getting 48mb so called them up to be told a technician would be out on Wednesday.

So he arrived and after checking things out and calling the base and adjusting the settings he got it up to 70.He said as my laptop was 2 years old and my PC 5 years old i would need a gigabit card if i wanted to get up to 100mb speed.

Does this sound right and if so are they hard to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Can anyone help me out here or was the technician just talking out of his ass?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ask around - you must know someone with a relatively new laptop that has gigabit ethernet. Test with that first before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ask around - you must know someone with a relatively new laptop that has gigabit ethernet. Test with that first before you buy.

Most new laptops still only get ethernet, not gigabit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Most new laptops still only get ethernet, not gigabit

And they work up to 100Mbs easily

bealtine wrote: »
    And they work up to 100Mbs easily

Yes, but the engineer said he'd need gigabit to get any faster than he's getting, which we both know is BS.
    @OP; Try it out with something that has a gigabit card, see if it tops out higher than before. Nearly all desktops get gigabit these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is the 70mb speed consistent on the upc speed tests or does it vary much? It sounds more like the cable limitation which would show up with a varied speed test result.

You can verify your network card capability by using a LAN speed test:
    http://download.cnet.com/LAN-Speed-Test/3000-2085_4-10908738.html

That'll tell you if the engineer is giving you BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yes, but the engineer said he'd need gigabit to get any faster than he's getting, which we both know is BS.
    @OP; Try it out with something that has a gigabit card, see if it tops out higher than before. Nearly all desktops get gigabit these days.

A UPC engineer tried to tell me that you couldn't have a static ip with the Cisco modem and having a static ip was the source of all my problems with the Cisco router...

Anyway OP, what can you not do on 70mbit? What are you missing out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Anyway OP, what can you not do on 70mbit? What are you missing out on?

Just making sure, my speeds are a little all over the place ranging fro 25-70 so was just looking to improve that a little but thanks for all the help here guys!

Advertisement