Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic noob advice

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just getting into comics now at this stage in my life, especially enjoying the convenience of digital comics at the moment. So I just finished Y: The Last Man and really enjoyed it, good story, intelligent, witty, funny etc. So can anyone recommend any other good long running stories out there with a similar writing style that I might enjoy? I've read a few of the conventional super-hero comics, some spiderman, batman, superman, and found 'em a bit over the top or immature or something, so I don't know if that sort of style is something I'd be into but I'm open to all suggestions :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I loved The Watchmen aswell!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you liked Watchmen try Moores other stuff.

From Hell was amazing. Very well written and the art heightened the feel of the time.

His take on Swamp Thing was fantastic too. I'm not going to spoil anything but he basically kills him off in the first issue.........or does he!? ^_^

The Invisibles is also a headf*ck of a series. Only in to the third one but I've heard it's where they got most of the ideas for The Matrix.

Preacher too.

Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

The Walking Dead.

I navigated to Y: The Last Man after Preacher and 100 Bullets so I guess those two aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Anyways thanks guys, good suggestions, I was one of the few people who enjoyed the Constantine movie so I'm sure hellraiser is even better. Preacher looks cool, the invisibles looks a bit too mental for me, the sandman looks very strange, I'll definitely give them all a go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

There really old but if you can dig them up, I loved
    The Super Furry Freak Brothers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat are both great fun, and worth at least checking out.

Hellblazer the comic is different enough from the film, chiefly in that at its best it's darker in tone - I'd suggest checking out the first collection of Jamie Delano's stuff, and if you like that go from there.

Scalped and DMZ are both recent Vertigo series that I'm really enjoying. Criminal is also one of the best comics being published today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 knotastic

shanered wrote: »
    There really old but if you can dig them up, I loved
    The Super Furry Freak Brothers

Quite true. The furry freak brothers first printed in 'The Rag' magazine is a great example of a comic which survived through the 1970's. Dont have it myself, just loaned from a friend whos also into comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

If you like fun, witty and intelligent I can recommend Chew

It is still running and being a fan of Y myself I imagine it is something you would enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KidDunne

If you find Spiderman etc a bit immature give daredevil (vol.2) a go, i taught it brilliant while finding other superhero stuff immature

Advertisement