Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Greystones History Quiz Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The last one arrived at 20.19 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I never realised how tricky it is to ask clear questions :)
    My last one question doesn´t have a clear answer for sure. Apologies.
    I suppose you could say it might called after any of the Whitshed family
    as I am not sure what Elizabeth Whitshed (the landowner) had in mind during the building of the Burnaby Estate (from 1901).

1860 "Elizabeth Hawkins-Whitshed was born in London. But she spent most of her childhood and teenage years at Killincarrick House, Greystones, Co.Wicklow. She came from an upperclass background, being the daughter of Captain Sir St. Vincent Hawkins-Whitshed, 3rd Baronet".
    As you can see the family names were employed in the naming of a number of areas of The Burnaby.

Elizabeth´s first husband Colonel Frederick Burnaby (born 1842) spent the winter of 1875 riding across Russian Asia. He wrote a book about this journey 'A Ride to Khiva'. There is a mock Tudor type house in The Burnaby called Khiva.

I think, knowing the history behind the placenames of the area where you live contributes to one´s sense of place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Admiral Whitshed?

When did the DART come to Greystones?

It was early 2000ish I think(without google:)) so could be off.

Advertisement