Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping Centres and Yer Bike

• 14-09-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

Normally I work in the city centre so when I cycle into work I just bring the bike into my workplace. Today due to a staff shortage I had to go to the Pavilions in Swords (my first time in the centre). I got there about 9:30am while still quiet and went looking for the shop. While walking through the centre I was stopped by one of the security guys and told that the centre doesn't allow bikes inside.
    I explained I was going to work, he asked where and said it made no difference but that as no-one told me this he'd let it go this time. I said fair enough but that it was an expensive bike and not something I could leave outside and that I'd carry it on my shoulder to the shop. He said this made no difference and that should I ever come back to the centre the bike was a no no.

Fair enough they have rules but I found this pretty stupid to be honest. It was quiet and the bike was stored in the back of the shop out of sight of everyone. Were they worried about marks on the floor I was happy to carry it. Should I have to work in the shop again cycling is a much better option for me than taking the bus.

I work in retail and there's been many a time where a cyclist have come into our shop(s) with their bike and no-one would bat an eyelid. They're there to spend money so I don't see the point in telling them to leave their bike outside.
    Perhaps I'm ticked off over nothing but I can't see the harm in an employee bringing their bike to their place of work where it is out of sight of everyone else.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Opinions don't count. The rule wins, unfortunately.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Most shopping centres will ban bikes (I felt guilty one day wheeling my bike through one just to get to the bike shop inside!). The rule is probably there to stop people riding bikes in the centre - once you allow bikes in, you could end up with "undesirables" causing havoc in the centre. The problem is the rules are set to cater for what may happen at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon, not 9.30 on a Wednesday morning when the centre is deserted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Grumble grumble..... fair enough. Looks like it's a boring 1 hour stint on the bus next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

You can contact the building manager to find out if that's an actual policy or just one security guard with a problem.

In addition find out where your shop gets deliveries, if that's through a back entrance then you might be able to bring your bike in that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd wonder if it was just a security guard flexing his muscles tbh.

Maybe he was worried you were going to shoplift and escape via bike...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'd wonder if it was just a security guard flexing his muscles tbh.
    Knowing the Shopping Centre in question, I'll be amazed if they don't have a strict "no bikes" policy. One possibility may be to ask if you can bring it in before the Centre actually opens (9am most mornings), but as they have a cinema it won't close until very late and you will still probably be wheeling it through the main centre amongst the general public (unless you work at one of the 2 supermarkets within the centre, which I'm sure must have back entrances - I know for certain one of them does)

The Centre can be contacted at info@pavilions.ie - the Centre director is Ian Hunter, and Duty Superviser Joe O'Donnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

how about if you were to carry a bike frame in one hand, and a pair of wheels in the other hand, would that be ok? or how about something in a big black plastic bag say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

kenmc wrote: »
    how about if you were to carry a bike frame in one hand, and a pair of wheels in the other hand, would that be ok? or how about something in a big black plastic bag say?

I like your thinking ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

put a piece of string from the handlebars to the saddle and tell him you just bought a piece of art.

will hang it up later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've brought a Brompton into the ILAC centre and into the library therein. No-one said anything. Unlike Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

If you cycle through the shopping centre, he won't be able to catch you ;)

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've brought a Brompton into the ILAC centre and into the library therein. No-one said anything. Unlike Dublin Bus.
    I'm not surprised if eyebrows were raised if you tried to get a Dublin Bus into the ILAC Centre ....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oh man.....you are the kingpun.

Advertisement