Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver CPC - Successful / Unsuccessful

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all, I am really interested to see how many people are either successful or unsuccessful in the driver cpc, bus or truck, in particular, the case studies. I have done the case studies for the trucks and found some of the wording to be tricky and some questions I thought could only be answered by someone with experience in the transport industry. The RSA are impossible to deal with and believe it or not, the cpc unit told me they had nothing to do with the questions, that the adi unit put the questions together. If you prefer to pm me then tha'ts ok too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

Successful:D
    97/100 in part 1
    41/45 in part 2
    3 grade 2's in part 3
    all clear on part 4.
    And doing my c+e test on the 22nd of september.
    I have to say i have worked driving a rigid for a few years and can say if i hadn't it would have been a lot of guess work on the case studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 the little trucker

Timogen, first of all well done on the good results for cpc test's. I know Faith+1 has a good thread going about the case studies. But I would like to get some questions with answers from people who are 100% sure of the Q&A.. no guessing. Good luck with the artic test, if I can give you advice, don't be afraid to get up to the speed limit quick..

Timogen, first of all well done on the good results for cpc test's. I know Faith+1 has a good thread going about the case studies. But I would like to get some questions with answers from people who are 100% sure of the Q&A.. no guessing. Good luck with the artic test, if I can give you advice, don't be afraid to get up to the speed limit quick..
    Thanks,i didn't see on here where they had the cpc case studies questions and answers maybe a few but not 145.
    Get the driver cpc bus and truck theory test book (E9 in most book stores) ,it has the 9 case studies that the 3 case studies will be chosen from.Read them and see what they did wrong,eg. drivers hours,prechecks and such.It would be easier to study that, than to turn up to your test and realise the case study Q&A you got are for different case studies to your test.

Has anyone done their cpc test lately, in particular the case studies. How did you get on and did any of the questions really throw you, especially anything on ADR.

Has anyone done their cpc test lately, in particular the case studies. How did you get on and did any of the questions really throw you, especially anything on ADR.
    I only did mine in april and there wasn't one on adr, it's mainly driver hours i got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Help2

Hi all, I am really interested to see how many people are either successful or unsuccessful in the driver cpc, bus or truck, in particular, the case studies. I have done the case studies for the trucks and found some of the wording to be tricky and some questions I thought could only be answered by someone with experience in the transport industry. The RSA are impossible to deal with and believe it or not, the cpc unit told me they had nothing to do with the questions, that the adi unit put the questions together. If you prefer to pm me then tha'ts ok too.

I had my cpc booked for friday the 30th.. i have rescheduled the case studies until the 8th of october because ive realised its going to be harder than i thought...

my driving instructor school showed me some of the questions on saturday and some of them were bizarre, , you wouldnt know the answers unless you were an experienced truck driver or working in the industry... and the worst thing is they wouldnt let me take a photocopy of it even though im paying them a bladdy fortune

I have seen some of the sample questions up on other threads but alot of them are completely different to what i was shown on saturday... does anybody have a recent list of questions???... bit of a joke really that there is no proper guidance on this....

word of warning to all those who are reading up on the questions and answers posted on this site. The RSA clearly state that the answer to a question is the most correct answer. That means there maybe two or three possible correct answers to a question. So if you are posting a question with an answer then you need to be 100% sure you have the most correct answer. Someone has a question posted in relation to how many hours the driver needs to do periodic training, and they question the answer because 35 is not an option. the correct answer is 42. This is not a pop at the person putting up the question as there intentions are 100% good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RAIN RAIN

hello i"m doing the case studies next week i would be delighted if you can help me on any of the question that might come i came across that question on this site about how often does a person need to complete a cpc training course i thought it was 35 myself and it even said it on other web site sorry if i"m wrong but were does it say and how is it 42

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rasel

recently i pass cpc theory test 1 part. i need some guide line to pass case study( only bus) . i also need some idea about bus case stady question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 john657

rasel wrote: »
    recently i pass cpc theory test 1 part. i need some guide line to pass case study( only bus) . i also need some idea about bus case stady question.

try this board as well but u must sroll down as well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056460201

• Advertisement

My mate sat the cpc case studies and passed scoring 33 correct answers.
    His first test was case study 2 Jim.
    he scored 11 correct answers in this test.
    I asked him what questions were asked and these are what he remembers
    1 a question relating to the ADR licence,
    2 a question relating to how the truck handled after his first delivery was complete
    3 Was Jim right to take the detour
    4 Which wheels did Jim feel start to lift slightly
    5 which one of the following didn't effect Jim keeping control of the truck when taking the sharp right hand bend
    6 another question on the trucks wheels
    7 Why could Jim not take the detour route
    8 A question asking which sign should be displayed on the tanker of fuel.
    This is all he could remember of this test He said he didn't want to give the answers he picked as he had 4 wrong answers in this test.

Cpc case study 6 Robert
    He scored 13 out of 15 in this test
    1 Which copy of the consignment note did Robert keep
    2 how was Roberts truck effected by carrying light goods today in comparison to him carrying a full load of heavy ceramics
    3 a question relating to carrying livestock in Ireland
    4 A question relating to correct loading of the truck
    5 A question asking what not to use while securing this load, answer was not to use chains
    6 What should Robert of done when he noticed the broken strands on the robes securing the pallets
    7 What did Robert not check on his walk around and cockpit check
    What did Robert need to know when he noticed the sign relating to the bridge up ahead

Cpc case study 7 Brenda
    He scored 9 correct answers in this test
    1 Was Brenda right to plan her first break in Limerick
    2 What did Brenda do to make sure her load was stable and secure for the journey
    3 When should Brenda of inserted a tachograph in her truck
    4 A question relating to the correct height of the sack barrow Brenda was using to load her truck
    5 What did Brenda use to secure the load
    6 A question relating to what tachographs Brenda should of had in the truck when she was stopped by the Guards
    7 A question asking which symbol she should use on the tachograph while unloading the truck
    8 A question asking which symbol she should use on the tachograph when she went off to enjoy her evening meal in Limerick
    9 a question asking was Brenda right to complete her return journey to base that day.

This is all he remembers of the questions and the wording Ive used may not be exact but it should give people an idea of whats asked.
    His advice is learn the ADR licence info, it came up in each test, know the rules and regulations involved in transporting dangerous goods and livestock
    Learn the tachograph rules and know your drivers hours inside out
    Learn the meaning of different signs used when carrying dangerous goods etc
    Understand consignment notes and the correct way to use them
    Understand what method to use when securing loads, ie what to use when securing fragile goods, what to use when loading steel
    Know your daily walk around check and your cockpit check, again it comes up a lot.
    He didn't want to put up the answers as he got some wrong in each test, the only answer he put up was in case study 6 where the answer was not to use chains to secure the load.
    I hope this can be of some assistance to someone

BUS –
    Case study 1
    Should the driver have lowered the kneel facility first or the ramp ?
    When pulling off from the supermarket, should the driver accelerate more to pull away and then less power to keep vehicle moving ?
    Who did the garda call to inspect the vehicle ?
    What should the driver have done to assist the wheelchair person ? (consider manual safety/ allow person to get on independently/ ……………..)
    What type of special facilities did bus have ? (Wheelchair access & priority seating)
    What should driver do if someone is in wheelchair place on the bus ? (Ask people to move)

Case study 2
    Why was driver annoyed cyclist was in contra-flow lane ? (not allowed in lane)
    What should driver anticipate cyclist will do ? (go straight ahead)
    Where should driver have steered bus to after blowout ? (left shoulder)
    What mistake did driver make after stopping bus ? (waving at traffic to stop)

Case study 3
    How many extra tonnes did driver calculate for 30 passengers ? (2/4/6/8)
    What mistake did driver make about the ABS light ? (ignored it)
    What should driver have told children to do ? (sit down & put seatbelts on)
    After the detour by gardai what could the driver have done ? (pulled in and checked map)
    What safety equipment did the driver not have on the bus ?
    How many fire extinguishers, minimum, should bus have ?

TRUCK
    Case study 1 (Gavin)
    Should Gavin have stopped after spill ?
    Can he stop at side of road ?
    Why did driver not see car after he moved back into correct lane ?
    Was the delivery arrival slot correct ? (different options between hour &half/ two hours)
    What type of haulier was he ?
    What did he omit to check on walk around check ?
    Whose responsible for checking back door secure after loading ?
    What was max width of his vehicle ?
    What caused load to spill ? (Gravity/centrifugal/centrifuge/centripetal)

Case study 2 (Jim)
    Which wheels lifted on bend ?
    What was worst situation that could happen on bend ?
    What allowed the truck to have extra hold on the road ?
    What did the truck have that prevented damage to infrastructure ?
    When should he next download his tachograph ?

Case Study 4 (Peter)
    Hows many years has he left of his ADR licence ?
    How often does he need to complete CPCs training ? (25 hours/ 42/ 45/ 55 over 5 years)
    Why did instruct people at the scene of accident ?
    Were the right symbols on the truck to the depot ? (Picture of back of lorry)
    What symbol should be on back of lorry to France ?
    What should he have done when he felt tired ?
    What was his weekly rest period coming back to work that day ? (2 questions on rest period)
    What did his employer have to obtain for him to travel to France ?
    What info should be on consignment note ?

Hope this helps you all, if I think of anymore questions I'll post them - just glad I have it done now as its cost me a bloody fortune and I couldn't afford to fail and have to fork out another 70 euro for the exam.

also found this link Haven't downloaded it yet as still trying to do this post lol

http://www.4shared.com/file/Ntsmpsoz..._Studies_.html

next post by timogen

There is no actual driving and the test is relatively easy eg.
    Q.What effect could overloading your lorry have?
    A.wear and tare on the vehicle,risk of skidding,breaking the law you could be fined and even lose your licence, and unfair to your compeditors.

To that question i have given 4 answers.
    If you only give one answer to a question it's a grade 2 fault,if you give 2 answers you get a grade 1 fault,3 or more answers no faults.

There are 5 aspects,4 or more grade two faults in one aspect is a fail.
    or 9 or more grade 2 faults overall is a fail.

Hope that helps.

This post by superhoops

Passed my CPC TRUCK CASE STUDIES using this updated info
    CPC Truck - Case Study 1 (Gavin):
    Question 1
    How should Gavin calculate the weight of his load?
    Answer B. Know the average weights of the lettuce and the crates.

Question 2
    What’s missing from Gavin's walk around check?
    Answer C. Doors and load secured correctly

Question 3
    What should NOT form part of his walk around check?
    Answer C. Tax disk

Question 4.
    How should Gavin react to the sudden left turn?
    Answer A. Go past, turn around and come back.

Question 5
    Who was responsible for the Lettuce?
    Answer B. Gavin as he is the driver.

Question 6.
    What should Gavin have done before exiting the truck?
    Answer B. Apply handbrake, Switch off engine, Leave in neutral.

Question 7
    What is wrong with gavins approach to driving in the rain?
    Answer 3. He should be allowing up to double stopping distance in the rain.

Question 8.
    What is wrong with Gavin’s overtaking manoeuvre?
    Answer B. Gavin should ensure he can see the vehicle he is passing in his side mirror before returning to the left lane.

Question 9.
    What’s the maximum amount of hours Gavin’s allowed to drive in one day as part of his job?
    Answer D. 9

Question 10.
    How many times a week can you drive the maximum amount of hours in a day?
    Answer B. Twice

Question 11
    What Tachograph records should gavin keep in the truck with him?
    Answer C. Three previous weeks and the current week.

Question 12.
    What should Gavin do with the damaged lettuce?
    Answer B. Separate and seal it from the other produce as it could contaminate the rest of the load.

Should Gavin have stopped after spill ? YES
    Can he stop at side of road ? YES
    Why did driver not see car after he moved back into correct lane ? PULLED BACK TOO EARLY
    Was the delivery arrival slot correct ? (different options between hour &half/ two hours) HONESTLY I DON'T REMEMBER THE REQUIREMENTS
    What did he omit to check on walk around check ? TRAILER DOORS
    Whose responsible for checking back door secure after loading ? DRIVER
    What was max width of his vehicle ? 2.55m?
    What caused load to spill ? (Gravity/centrifugal/centrifuge/centripetal) CENTRIFUGAL

CPC Truck - Case Study 2 (Jim):
    How long since Jim had to renew his ADR (Dangerous goods) licence? Two years ago (valid for 5 Years
    Why Couldn't Jim use the direct route on the detour? His truck had too many axles
    What sign Did Jim see going up the Hill? (Picture of 4 signs) Picture of axle x 3 with red line through it
    Which wheels lifted? Offside front and rear
    Which wheels lifted on bend? LEFT front and rear
    What helped keep the truck from over turning? Single wheels
    Was Jim correct to drive to the outside of the turn? Yes
    Why did Jim empty the fuel evenly from the tank? Too maintain stability
    When Jim relaxed the foot brake what force was acting on the fuel in the tank?: Centripetal
    What does this sign mean? (Picture of clearance sign on bridge) Vehicles over this height are not allowed under the bridge
    What height of vehicle can pass under this bridge? (Picture of clearance sign on bridge) This is not a trick! Read the sign
    Height Restriction, No Vehicles higher than 4.4 meters

In case of a bridge strike where will you find the number to contact Iarnród Éireann? On a sign on the bridge
    What was worst situation that could happen on bend ? The truck could overturn
    What was worst situation that could happen on bend ? VEHICLE COULD HAVE TURNED OVER AND/OR LEFT THE ROAD?
    What allowed the truck to have extra hold on the road ? EXTRA AXLES?
    What did the truck have that prevented damage to infrastructure ? ROAD-FRIENDLY SUSPENSION
    When should Jim next download his tachograph ? IN 3 MONTHS TIME

CPC Truck - Case Study 3 (Graham):
    What plate did Graham Consult when checking the truck weight? The manufacturers plate
    Which is the Correct way to load the 22 pallets? (A picture of 4 options for loading 22 palates in a 26 palate truck)
    What should Graham have made sure was still visible after attaching the load sheets? The number plate
    What time should Graham have taken his first brake? 11:30
    What time could Graham start driving the next morning? 3am
    Did Graham brake the maximum driving hours rule? NO, He drove for 10 hrs
    What distance should Graham have kept from the car in the rain? Twice the dry distance
    Which of the following would not affect the tension of the lashings? Weather conditions
    How long had Graham had his national Road haulage operators licences? 2 years
    Over what size of load is a national Road haulage operators licences required? 3.5 tonnes
    What did Graham neglect to check on his walk around check? Windscreen Wipers and washers
    *Owner account operators are not required to use CMR consignment notes for international journeys.

*A NATIONAL Road Haulage Operator’s Licence entitles you to carry on a road haulage operator business within this State only. It is valid for five years. If the Transport Manager (Certificate of Professional Competence holder) has only a national CPC, or if there is no possibility whatever of you transporting goods to or from places outside this State (that is, outside the Republic of Ireland), then you should apply for a National Licence.

*An INTERNATIONAL Road Haulage Operator’s Licence is issued with a Community Authorisation and a certified copy of the Community Authorisation for each vehicle authorised on the licence. It entitles you to operate in this State, Northern Ireland, Britain and both within and between all the Member States of the European Union. International Licences and Community Authorisations are valid for five years. In order to obtain an International Licence and Community Authorisation, your Transport Manager must have an international Certificate of Professional Competence.

CPC Truck - Case Study 4 (Peter)
    How many years has he left of his ADR licence? 3 YEARS AS STATED IN THE TEXT.
    How often does he need to complete CPCs training? (25 hours/ 42/ 45/ 55 over 5 years) I THOUGHT IT WAS 35 HOURS OVER 5 YEARS!
    Why did he instruct people at the scene of accident? OBVIOUSLY TO PROTECT THEM AND PREVENT FIRE
    Were the right symbols on the truck to the depot? (Picture of back of lorry)
    What symbol should be on back of lorry to France? IRL?
    What should he have done when he felt tired? TAKE A BREAK
    What was his weekly rest period coming back to work that day? (2 questions on rest period) 36 HRS
    What did his employer have to obtain for him to travel to France? INTERNATIONAL CONSIGNMENT NOTE?
    What info should be on consignment note? SENDER'S AND RECEIVER'S DETAILS, NATURE OF GOODS, SIGNATURES

ADR Licence = European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road. An ADR licence certificate is valid for 5 years.

Corrosive materials are usually strong acids or bases. They represent a hazard to your skin, and often to mucous membranes through inhalation of vapours. Pay attention to the proper storage container for corrosive materials. In addition, corrosive materials are reactive.
    Corrosive material Sign
    As a driver you MUST make sure the correct symbol or mark is clearly visible on your vehicle just in case you are involved in an incident, serious consequences could result. The symbols must be placed on the back or sides of the vehicle.

You must always that you have the necessary protective clothing, safety equipment and any documentation relevant to the class of goods being carried.

KEMLER PLATE = A plain orange plate is fixed at front and back of the “transport unit”. Note the extra requirement for vehicles carrying class 1 (explosives) and class 7 ((radio-active substances) to display placards (hazard diamonds) on both sides and the rear of the vehicle
    HIN (hazard identification number – sometimes called the Kemler code)
    TREMcard = A tremcard is a 'transport emergency card' which gives detailed written instructions to the driver in case a dangerous goods load is involved in a crash.

INTERNATIONAL CONSIGNMENT NOTE = In Europe and closer Countries an International Consignment Note is used, known as CMR, that means Convention pour le transport de la merchandise par route. Naturally this Carrier Type of transport documents will be requested when goods are carried by road.

Daily and weekly rest periods under EU drivers' hours rules= You must take a daily rest period within 24 hours of the previous daily or weekly rest period. A regular daily rest period is defined as a rest of at least 11 hours.
    CPC Truck - Case Study 5 (Larry):
    Over what weight of vehicle is a national Road haulage operators licences required? 3.5 tonnes
    Who was responsible for securing the ramps on the vehicle? Larry
    What did Larry NOT need to check during his walk around check? Radio system
    What did Larry neglect to check during his cockpit check? Parking brake
    Which best describes the part of the truck that swung into the Cyclists path? The distance from the middle of the rear wheels to the rear end of the truck
    What part of the vehicle could have been by Larry taking the turn too fast? The suspension
    Where should Larry have tried to steer the truck after the blow out? To the left side of the road
    What was Larry's truck equipped with to warn other motorists? Hazard lights
    What types of chains should Larry have used to secure the load? Solid steel links

WIDE LOADS= A vehicle which exceeds the legal dimensions usually requires a special permit which requires extra fees to be paid in order for the oversize/overweight vehicle to legally travel on the roadways. The permit usually specifies a route the load must follow as well as the dates and times during which the load may travel. Typically, the edges of any oversize load must be marked to make them visible to drivers. during daytime the required marking is usually red flags, and during night white or yellow lights may be used. The hauling vehicle must have at least one flashing amber light in the front and back.
    SIGNS- red and white diagonal stripes in the EU saying "Oversize load" must be put in the front and back of the vehicle. Trucks over 3.5 metres require side markers and notification to the police.

CPC Truck - Case Study 6 (Robert):
    *A NATIONAL Road Haulage Operator’s Licence entitles you to carry on a road haulage operator business within this State only. It is valid for five years. If the Transport Manager (Certificate of Professional Competence holder) has only a national CPC, or if there is no possibility whatever of you transporting goods to or from places outside this State (that is, outside the Republic of Ireland), then you should apply for a National Licence.

You do not need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence to carry animals
    Strapping should be used to secure the load and pallets to the vehicle. Lashing should be placed across the top of the pallet load.
    There are four copies of a consignment note:
    · RED – kept by the consignor
    · BLUE – for the consignee
    · GREEN – travels with the vehicle
    · WHITE WITH BLACK BORDER – retained by the originator
    “The Consignor is the sender or shipper of the goods and the consignee is the receiver”
    (The sender kept the RED copy of the consignment note)
    CPC Truck - Case Study 7 (Brenda):
    This is a Sack Barrow
    When loading goods onto a truck the tachograph should be set to “other work”
    A tarpaulin is a large sheet of strong, flexible, water-resistant or waterproof material, often cloth such as canvas or polyester coated with urethane, or made of plastics such as polyethylene. Tarpaulins often have reinforced grommets at the corners and along the sides to form attachment points for rope, allowing them to be tied down or suspended.
    · Cement bags should be loaded at 90 degree angles.
    · Bricks should be placed to keep the centre of gravity and evenly spread to give even weight distribution over the whole floor area.
    What Tachograph records should Brenda keep in the truck with her?Answer: Three previous weeks and the current week.
    Tampering with a Tachograph chart could lead to a maximum charge of 5,000 euros or a 2 year imprisonment term or it can be both.
    Operation of the mode switch or button
    Drivers must ensure that the mode switch on an analogue instrument or the mode button on
    a digital instrument is correctly set to record their activities.

CPC Truck - Case Study 8 (Lorraine):
    Where would be the first place where immigrants could get an opportunity to get into the truck? Dublin
    What speed limit would Lorraine be doing on the M25? 96 km/h
    What did Lorraine not do before she rang for help? Put on her hazard lights
    What should Lorraine do approaching the motorway? Slow down

CPC Truck - Case Study 9 (Liam):
    DEFECT REPORT
    Any failings on a drivers part to comply with those obligations you signed and agreed to when you were granted your Operators License may result in the possibility of you facing a Public Inquiry, if those failings are persistent.
    · It is suggested you keep these It is suggested you keep these defect report records for at least 15 months.

If any defects are found, they should (where possible) be rectified before the vehicle is used on a public road.
    VOSA (oversees MOT testing) = The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) provides a range of licensing, testing and enforcement services with the aim of improving the roadworthiness standards of vehicles ensuring the compliance of operators and drivers, and supporting the independent Traffic Commissioners.

· All types of metal should be carefully handled and have sufficient lashings in firm contact with the top surface of the load.
    · Stack the load low with the heavier items at the bottom.
    · Load should be secured with chains – corner protectors and sleeves should be used to prevent damage to the steel.
    · Chain or webbing lashings with tensioning devices should be used to secure them

Certificates of Roadworthiness - Test due when vehicle is 1 year old and annually after that.

· 32 TONNE GVW truck has 4 axles

Chocking preventS accidental or unintended movement of mobile equipment and cargo while workers are loading, unloading, hitching, unhitching, or performing service or maintenance. Chocking the wheels of a truck provides a physical stopper to the wheels to prevent runaways that can crush and injure workers. Blocking stabilizes cargo loads to prevent shifting and trailer overturns or provides a physical barrier on equipment to prevent accidental activation during maintenance.

Liam should NEVER have adjusted his seat whilst driving.

DIFF-LOCK = Liam should of used the device which can arrange the power to be transmitted to both wheels on the axle which increases traction on surfaces on mud when he entered the building site.

al so this is the link to the book if u havent got it its free to down load DRIVER CPC BUS & TRUCK
    THEORY TEST

http://www.tomodowdschoolofmotoring.ie/CPC.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The RSA should not be including questions on the ADR regs as it is another vocational licence and not every truck driver will need one,Also the responsibility of issuing the ADR licence is not the RSA but the HSE via the CILT.

KEMLER PLATE = A plain orange plate is fixed at front and back of the “transport unit”. Note the extra requirement for vehicles carrying class 1 (explosives) and class 7 ((radio-active substances) to display placards (hazard diamonds) on both sides and the rear of the vehicle
    HIN (hazard identification number – sometimes called the Kemler code)
    TREMcard = A tremcard is a 'transport emergency card' which gives detailed written instructions to the driver in case a dangerous goods load is involved in a crash.

As a driver you MUST make sure the correct symbol or mark is clearly visible on your vehicle just in case you are involved in an incident, serious consequences could result. The symbols must be placed on the back or sides of the vehicle.

If a person was to give the answers highlighted in an ADR exam they would fail as the answers are incorrect,I am not having a go at john for posting them on here fair play to him for helping out others but if this is done by the RSA they need to get pulled up on it.

Advertisement