Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Design Connectivity in D15

Options
  • 14-09-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am a post graduate student studying my MSc in Spatial Planning in Dublin Institute of Technology and am currently doing my dissertation on connectivity and permeability in urban areas. I am using several study areas in my dissertation, one of which is the D15 area.

I would be very interested to hear from people who have experienced or are experiencing issues in regard to permeability or connectivity in their part of D15.

Just to explain it clearer:

Many people like the idea of connectivity because it makes their area walking & cycling friendly while giving them an alternative to using a car for short urban journeys. Other people believe there is merit in stemming connectivity in urban areas because it eliminates antisocial or criminal behaviour.

If you believe your area could be improved for pedestrians and cyclists by linking your estate to public transport, shops, schools and other social infrastructure, I would like to hear from you.

If you are opposed to pedestrian and cyclist access to your area, I would like to hear from you.

My objective is to get all viewpoints on the subject so I'd be very grateful for your support in my research. The research involves a questionnaire and is fairly straight forward.

If you would like any further clarification or additional information, please do not hesitate in contacting me by PM. This is just academic research but I would be happy to let anyone who participates in it have a copy of the findings/analysis when finished.

You would be helping a post graduate student out greatly and I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I used to live on a residential road in an estate which at the end had a pedestrian access to the main road. After about a year of almost constant car thefts, attempted thefts and burglaries the residences blocked up the pedestrian access turning the road into a pedestrian cul de sac and immediately it all stopped.

As kid lots of estates had lane ways and pedestrian access between many estates and roads. Most of these were closed over the years and I don't think any are left now. I remember back then, the Gardai chasing robbers and refusing to go down these lane ways too.

Thats across old Blanchardstown, and old Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

I've discovered that I should have started the thread here rather than the D15 forum. Sorry 'bout that.;)

Ideally I would like anyone interested in the topic to PM me and I will email a questionnaire to them. I will be going into the D15 area on Saturday (hopefully) so could even meet up with people who might be interested in talking about it. Actually, that would be ideal.

So please feel free to PM me or make your own comments here if you feel better about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Is this what was moved out of the summerfield thread? Cant see why the request is neutral isnt it?

Is this what was moved out of the summerfield thread? Cant see why the request is neutral isnt it?

Long story at this stage. Not supposed to post survey stuff in threads.

It was just that the D15 thread was exactly what I was researching so I dived in. I'm hoping I can get enough people with opinions on both sides of the argument to give me an idea of how these things can be resolved.

I have my own ideas but I want to remain impartial and analyse the info when I get it.

• Advertisement

You mentioned in the D15 thread that your parents still live there. Would they and their neighbours be interested in filling in a questionnaire on the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

You mentioned in the D15 thread that your parents still live there. Would they and their neighbours be interested in filling in a questionnaire on the issue?

My parents are still there. I have asked them to help you if you want to do a survey of each resident and they said they will listen out. However please be careful with this issue as I believe there is a lot of bullying that goes on. I cannot identify their address because of this and while I trust you to respect that and please dont ask you to give out these details on PM.

My parents are still there. I have asked them to help you if you want to do a survey of each resident and they said they will listen out. However please be careful with this issue as I believe there is a lot of bullying that goes on. I cannot identify their address because of this and while I trust you to respect that and please dont ask you to give out these details on PM.

Of course. I would respect their (and others) privacy. Their opinion would be completely confidential. I would like to talk to people on both sides anyway. I don't have an axe to grind either way, all I want to do is gather opinions and analyse the information. The residents might be interested in the results. Thanks very much for your help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement