Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabb Bell tamper fault

Options
  • 14-09-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one. My house was prewired for an alarm so I did everything myself bar an external box worked perfect for the last 4 years. I have two internal soundbombs, a dummy box and great neighbours so I left it at that because I could never get to where the external bell cable was until today when we had a tower for painting.

It was a four core so I just wired it as
    External + looped to Strobe +
    External - looped to Strobe -
    Tamper return
    Saab Hold
    Resistor across the tamper

In the panel it was just
    External Bell +
    External Bell -
    Saab Hold
    Tamper Return
    Plus a resistor across the last two.

Everything seem to work perfect led flashing, gave it all the tests worked perfect until I was sitting on the couch and it just went off log as ext bell tamper. Put in my code and presumed it was a phantom fault until it went off again

I went up to check the bellbox and once the lid was off I couldnt use the code to turn off the system so I paniced and disconnected everything.

What have I wired wrong???

Thanks in advanced :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The only thing Im wondering is where is the resistor?
    It should be in the bell box in series with the tamper return.
    Also check the BHO & Tamper return connections.
    If the bell hold off or + poer is disconnected the external will self activate. It is correct that this can not be silenced from the keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnnymc7

Cheers for the quick reply.

Resistor in both the panel and bell box Im presuming this could be my problem?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yep,
    1 Resistor only. Wire it at the bell in series with the tamper return.
    What make is the panel?

HKC Securewatch Sw8/12 there was a resistor between sabb hold and tamper return, so leaving that in instead of taking it out caused the problem?

Take that out & just wire the one in series with the tamper return.

• Advertisement

Cool really appreciate the help :) Thanks again!

No bother, have to keep your neighbours happy.:D
    Any problems give us a shout.

Actually one last question :p for piece of mind!

I didnt want to work on the alarm so late incase it would go off and annoy the neighbours so I totally powered off the alarm (MCB off and battery disconnected)
    When I power up tomorrow after fixing the problem will I have lost my user code?

No, as long as the factory link has not been removed. Even in that case the engineer lock would need to be off & the keypad would ask for confirmation anyway.

Nice one would worst case senario be just entering 1234 and then re-enter my usercode if there is a problem

• Advertisement

Ignore my last post Im talking jibber :p

Thanks again KoolKid for all the help, MUCH APPRECIATED !!!!

Your welcome.
    Any bother with it tomorrow, you know where we are.

Arghhh now its showing up tamper fault ext bell. Ive checked wiring, connections and that the cover switch is clicking in and still no joy. Can I by bypass the ext bell tamper because its so high up if they are messing with that they are on a mission to get in :p

If you wire the resistor across bho and tr and also in the bho from the bell.

I went and got new resistors still no joy, I have bypassed the sabb lid switch no joy there either.

So basically in the

Sabb bell
    take out the blue and yellow replace with resistor

At the panel
    take out the blue and yellow replace with resistor.

I should have a bell but no tamper?

Officially scrap everything!!! I have sorted problem 2, we recently had work done in the attic so I checked the cable route and found damage to the cable and especially on the black core in the cable so I stripped it back and fixed it... low and behold the ext bell tamper has gone and the alarm sets. The lesson here is buy a multi meter :P
    I have left the link in which bypasses the sabb lid tamper switch but as I said if they get to that they are on a mission to get in. Hence why I needed a tower.

Thanks for all the help KoolKid.

Advertisement