Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Wilson : Lennon/McCartney and George Martin in one

Options
  • 14-09-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

Brian Wilson may not be the greatest song writer of all time because he doesn't have the body of work to support it but he may be the most talented.

So sad he had a mental breakdown in his early twenties after Pet Sounds.

George Martin
    "If there is one person that I have to select as a living genius of pop music, I would choose Brian Wilson."

Tom Petty
    "I think I would put him up there with any composer - especially Pet Sounds. I don't think there is anything better than that, necessarily. I don't think you'd be out of line comparing him to Beethovan - to any composer. The word genius is used a lot with Brian. I don't know if he's a genius or not, but I know that music is probably as good as any music you can make."

Here's a 23 year old Brian Wilson in the studio creating Pet Sounds.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Definitely the wrong forum for this OP but for what it's worth, Brian Wilson was a genius in my eyes. "That's Not Me" summed up my life in my 20's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Brian Wilson is great, but the title of this thread is very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Brian Wilson is great, but the title of this thread is very misleading.

Why I was just pointing out he's a great producer as well as song writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Why

Because based on the title people might think the thread has something to do with Lennon, McCartney or George Martin. Can't imagine why (see what I did there?).
    I was just pointing out he's a great producer as well as song writer
    That he is. However, not all Beatles fans are Wilson fans so some people might not equate Lennon, McCartney and Martin with Wilson the way you do. Thus, they might find your thread title somewhat misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have got to agree that the thread, while interesting is misleading. How are people to interpret from the title that the thread is really about Brian Wilson ? :confused:

Maybe you could ask a mod to rename the thread to include the name "Brian Wilson".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Because based on the title people might think the thread has something to do with Lennon, McCartney or George Martin. Can't imagine why (see what I did there?).

That he is. However, not all Beatles fans are Wilson fans so some people might not equate Lennon, McCartney and Martin with Wilson the way you do. Thus, they might find your thread title somewhat misleading.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    I have got to agree that the thread, while interesting is misleading. How are people to interpret from the title that the thread is really about Brian Wilson ? :confused:

Maybe you could ask a mod to rename the thread to include the name "Brian Wilson".

Changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Pet Sounds is a masterpiece and he wrote and co wrote some masterful songs but of the albums the beach boys produced only one is truely great. Today and Summer Days were the tempate for his greatest achievement. How poignant was the song ' I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' when one knows what followed. Smiley Smile is all over the place .His last truely great song was 'Surf's Up' that song that probably put him over the edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Undoubtedly a genius. Whether you like his music or not, you cannot fail to be impressed by his skills as a producer. To think he was just 23 when he produced Pet Sounds boggles the mind.

Advertisement