Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom DNS servers

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

My internet was off this morning when I got up to get a drink of water around 3.30 am. The red light was on my Netopia 2247 router.

It was fine when I woke up at half eight. I just noticed now however that pages are taking a lot longer to start loading. It loads fine once the process starts. Nothing has changed on my end and there are no change in my download speeds.

I see the DNS servers have changed on the Netopia homepage.

Were they changed? If so, why were they changed? They are slower than the last ones!

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

I'd recommend Googles DNS. Primary ( 8.8.8.8 ) and secondary ( 8.8.4.4 ) if the new Eircom DNS servers are having poor performance for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This happened a few years back prompting a move to Google and OpenDNS by many eircom users at the time. What are the IP addresses of the dodgy DNS servers ....so that someone can kick them ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

[/B]
    My internet was off this morning when I got up to get a drink of water around 3.30 am. The red light was on my Netopia 2247 router.

It was fine when I woke up at half eight. I just noticed now however that pages are taking a lot longer to start loading. It loads fine once the process starts. Nothing has changed on my end and there are no change in my download speeds.

I see the DNS servers have changed on the Netopia homepage.

Were they changed? If so, why were they changed? They are slower than the last ones!

Any info appreciated.

im having this problem the last 2/3 weeks sometimes doesnt load but if you refresh it it will load fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I had changed to Google DNS servers straight away when I saw it.

@Sponge Bob, I'm actually in college now so I can't have a look at the router page until later, but from memory I think it was Primary: 159.134.0.1 and Secondary was 159.134.0.2.

I think!

Interesting, the first two octets are perfect for eircom by the way.

For along time DNS was 159.134.237.6 and 159.134.248.17 but eircom added other ones since. Never ever remembered a 159.134.0.x address so there could well be a misconfigured BRAS IP Pool in your region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

159.134.0.1 & 159.134.0.2 are the correct Eircom DNS Server IP's.
    Found this on the Eircom Site:
    http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=15&E=0000000000302533455&K=5214&Sxi=0&Case=obj(12815)

I've also run some DNS test's and it seems the Eircom DNS is faster than any of the alternatives.

Reply - paste didn't work correctly.
    Got to http://support.eircom.net/ and in the search box type DNS - Will see result's with those DNS IP's above.

Did a quick test test onsite and while I can traceroute to as ever 159.134.237.6 the 159.134.0.3 server times out and 0.4 fares ever worse. Same with pings. Dunno if any of that matters. :)

I can ping 0.1 but not 0.2

Not sure about the 0.3 or 0.4 traceroutes.

See my test results: EIRCOM DNS V's Google DNS - Eircom is over 3 times faster than Google!!!

EIRCOM DNS TEST:
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @159.134.0.1 www.google.com | grep time
    ;; Query time: 8 msec
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @159.134.0.2 www.google.com | grep time
    ;; Query time: 8 msec
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @159.134.0.1 www.rte.ie | grep time
    ;; Query time: 9 msec

GOOGLE DNS TEST:
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @8.8.8.8 www.google.com | grep time
    ;; Query time: 34 msec
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @8.8.8.8 www.rte.ie | grep time
    ;; Query time: 28 msec
    [dec@localhost: (~)]% dig @8.8.8.8 www.boards.ie | grep time
    ;; Query time: 29 msec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I had changed to Google DNS servers straight away when I saw it.

@Sponge Bob, I'm actually in college now so I can't have a look at the router page until later, but from memory I think it was Primary: 159.134.0.1 and Secondary was 159.134.0.2.

I think!

Hi NeitherJohn,

Thanks for post.

Just to assure you that these are the new primary (159.134.0.1) and secondary (159.134.0.2) DNS servers. Like the current eircom DNS 213.94.190.236 (primary) and 213.94.190.194 (secondary) they are also configured for optimum performance on the eircom network.

This is an automated process and there's no need for customers to make individual changes, or to use any other DNS servers.

Technical Support have advised, they would encourage all customers to use the eircom DNS servers. These are vastly superior in many ways to others /providers DNS. If you're experiencing any issue with loading pages using eircom's DNS, then they should contact eircom Technical Support. My further advice would be to try some quick ping or traceroutes tests before you call into Technical Support, as it could be an issue with a firewall(s) or other application(s).

If you'd like to PM your phone no, I can check the BRAS, and confirm that your using correct DNS.

eircom Broadband Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

I hope this helps,

Ant

• Advertisement
Advertisement