Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW PC CASE

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

hello

I want to buy a new PC case nothing to fancy just new.

I am looking for one with a psu OF AT LEAST 550W plus the case.

Yes I'm cheap I blame it on the recession.

I looked at amazon but I don't know if they do free shipping, do they?

I also stumbled on this website http://www.geeks.com, has anyone used it ?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

First of all NEVER buy a case + PSU combo, its a bad idea. Secondly what system are you running, a decent 400W PSU is probably all you need if you're willing to go for a case/PSU combo. I'd recommend something like the Xigmatek Asgard + XFX Core 450W or Antec EA380W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I bought this case:

http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/pc-cases/fd-definer3

Expecting delivery today, I'll report back when I get it set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

deconduo wrote: »
    First of all NEVER buy a case + PSU combo, its a bad idea.

my motherboard is AliveNF6G- VSTA.
    its will be running on 2 x 4gb of ram

320gb hard drive barracuda make along with another 40gb

A graphics card I'm thinking it wwill be a Nvidia geforce 7900- 8800gts.

I need a psu of atleast 450w to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cheap PSU's kill motherboards. If you were using Intels integrated sh|te, you may get away with it, but with that graphics card? Get a "good brand" of PSU for about €80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Jayz lads, wth has happened to this forum xD
    deconduo wrote: »
    First of all NEVER buy a case + PSU combo, its a bad idea.

That IS generally true, but it's not always true. I've seen some Antec cases come with good quality 80+ PSU's and it's the same for most brands :)

the_syco wrote: »
    Cheap PSU's kill motherboards. If you were using Intels integrated sh|te, you may get away with it, but with that graphics card? Get a "good brand" of PSU for about €80

Unless you're running two high powered GPU's in your PC and as long as you go with a good retailer, you most likely will not need a PSU that's going to cost you €80. It will be much closer to the €50 or less bracket :)

Anyway, the most important question as dec already asked, you need to field is what components your PC is made up of and then we can help you get the right PSU for your needs \o/

• Advertisement

I wil be using my PC for some minimal forex trading.

I play one game the best ever but some can argue with me on that one AVP2, its an old game bout 10yrs old but it still rocks.

motherboard is AliveNF6G- VSTA.
    Ram is 2 x 4gb of ram so 8GB kingston pc6400 800MHZ

my CPU IS AN ATHLON 64 X 2 3.2 GHZ

Nvidia geforce 8800gts.

that's my pc.

The main comments are not to buy a cheap psu.

but whats makes a cheap psu crap or ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

but whats makes a cheap psu crap or ****.

a load. :cool: :pac:

OT, generally, stick to name brands.

what's your total budget?

In a sense I have ano budget.

All i just need is A psu a bonus will be a case.

I'M down to my last 20quid

some guys want the best pc around I just want one that will be hassle free and will keep going for a good while.

In a sense I have ano budget.

All i just need is A psu a bonus will be a case.

I'M down to my last 20quid

some guys want the best pc around I just want one that will be hassle free and will keep going for a good while.

Well, I've been working for a IT retailer over the last 6 months which has a technical division. The company has been around for a very long time (old for an IT company) and I was making a quote up for a customer for around 30 self-built desktops. I stuck in a corsair PSU, but sent an enquiry to the technical department to try and figure out what they recommended.

And they just said quote for one of the cheapo PSU's, on questioning them, they said they use them all the time... :/

I'm not so sure on that practice, because we all know that, they're less reliable, don't actually offer their stated wattage, they're not as power efficient and they lack security features which could even lead to it breaking other components in the PC.

It seems pretty obvious to me, that for the little extra money that's involved, buying a good PSU is well worth it in the long run...

Do eet op

I have no idea on what to do.

a high end gaming pc needs a good psu. but this pc is not even close to it

I have bought an old psu and it served me well.

Can some tell me what is the minimum watts I need to run my motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

my motherboard is AliveNF6G- VSTA.
    its will be running on 2 x 4gb of ram

A graphics card I'm thinking it wwill be a Nvidia geforce 7900- 8800gts.

I need a psu of atleast 450w to run it.

i have a dell xps420 with gt8800 and it had 375w power supply. i am running an ati 6870 on same psu. so a good quality 400w will do oyu if you dont plan on upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think that you're going to do it for €20.

The cheapest way I could see it is a €30 case plus €40 PSU from Hardware Versand, if you knew someone else that was ordering, so as you didn't have to pay the expensive shipping.

The cheapest realistically for a case and PSU combo is €83.49 from elara, if you collect it from them.
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2023677
    It's about 1 or 2 € dearer on amazon to get get it delivered.
    It's a basiq PSU in there which is sort of meh but not dangerous.

Alternatively, you could get a cheap but still reasonable XFX 450W PSU + Case from amazon for ~€85 delivered. The only problem is that the PSU won't be in stock for a while.

Scan's today only page has some reasonable offers.
    174542.png
    That will come to €77 before delivery. Delivery is about €15 unless you get it discounted by being a member of hexus or avsforums.

Finally, you could get a €59 PSU plus €35.95 case from komplett.
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/02_PCCASE/07_MIDITOW/productdetails/10021097/Cooler_Master_Elite_310_Mid_tower_ATX_no/RC_310_SKN1_GP/default.aspx
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/productdetails/80002628/A_Data_HM_650_650_Watt_ATX/AHM650_BZ_CEU/default.aspx
    Alright, it is a 650W PSU which is way beyond your needs, but it's a good price as PSUs like these can typically be €70-90.

There are not that many low-rated but still good PSUs around. They probably cost nearly as much as the midrange PSUs.

Your last option is to get something second hand. It's generally not a good idea to buy PSUs second hand, but a good PSUs with a couple of years on the clock could be better than a new one that wouldn't make any number of years.

If you didn't spend too much on the components and were not too bothered about longevity, you could just use a cheap PSU anyway, if you could afford to lose them.

thanks for the comments guys.

I will be getting a corsair 650watts from ebay or amazon.

If you want to get a big PSU, you'll struglle to find better value than the PSU Monotype linked for €59

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/productdetails/80002628/A_Data_HM_650_650_Watt_ATX/AHM650_BZ_CEU/default.aspx

Avoid the CX series. Everything else is good, although ebay could turn up some older models which may not be as good as what's on the market today (but still good unless it's seen considerable use).
    The TX and GS series are almost identical to the a-data, being the same maker (CWT) and model, but the A-data is modular (GS slightly worse, maybe).
    The tx v2 are seasonic, something similar to XFX's PSUs, if you see those.

Edit: one possible drawback of the a-data is the 3 year warranty vs TX's 5 years. GS are only 3 years.

thanks for the comments guys.

I will be getting a corsair 650watts from ebay or amazon.

€82 Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650 Watt http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2152688

I see your location is "blanch", so maybe get it in Komplett for the same price are are open late on Thursday and Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Well, I received my Fractal Design case yesterday, only just opening it now for a first inspection.

First of all it is beautifully made. A nice high end finish, its heavy (and big).
    There is loads of space inside, I'll fit all my kit into it at the weekend, nothing to fancy just yet.

It has loads of soundproofing and all the vents have filters.

The one I got is Artic white, my wife reckons it looks like a mini fridge!

I might splash out and have some artwork done on it ?

I just got a psu on adverts its 9 - 1yr old.

its a cooler master rs 430 pcar.

it has good reviews and for the price it will do me fine.

my motherboard is a 20pin so i would have to get an adapter.

I have decided to forget about a case for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Macker1

prospect wrote: »
    Well, I received my Fractal Design case yesterday, only just opening it now for a first inspection.

First of all it is beautifully made. A nice high end finish, its heavy (and big).
    There is loads of space inside, I'll fit all my kit into it at the weekend, nothing to fancy just yet.

It has loads of soundproofing and all the vents have filters.

The one I got is Artic white, my wife reckons it looks like a mini fridge!

I might splash out and have some artwork done on it ?

Sounds good...... I'm putting together a Gaming PC for one of the sons for Xmas and have picked out this case as well. Just wondering did you have any issues with transit damage as some reviews have said that the units arrived with some issues. There was a mention of the USB ports at the front and the power switch being loose.

Put up a few pics if you get a chance.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Nope, it is in perfect condition, I ordered it from quietpc.ie.

I am going to assemble it over the weekend, I'll post pictures in the build thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

prospect wrote: »
    Nope, it is in perfect condition, I ordered it from quietpc.ie.

I am going to assemble it over the weekend, I'll post pictures in the build thread.

Here is a video review of your case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQsC9dHEX-A&feature=related Looks nice, How much was the posting?

I just got a psu on adverts its 9 - 1yr old.

its a cooler master rs 430 pcar.

it has good reviews and for the price it will do me fine.

That's part of the extreme series, which is really quite poor, although the series has 3 or 4 OEMs and that doesn't seem like the worst. It's still a 5 year old model (even if it was used for only a year).
    my motherboard is a 20pin so i would have to get an adapter.

I have decided to forget about a case for now.

You'll need a PCI-E one two, or a lower rated graphics card. I hope that you don't end up paying more in the long run trying to prop up a substandard PSU.

Regarding the R3 case: A great case, easy to work with and stunning how quiet it is.

Here is a video review of your case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQsC9dHEX-A&feature=related Looks nice, How much was the posting?

Yep, that is exactly like mine.

I paid £14 delivery, but I had 2 boxes delivered, 1 was the case and 2 was a smaller box of other bits and pieces I got.

Monotype wrote: »
    That's part of the extreme series, which is really quite poor, although the series has 3 or 4 OEMs and that doesn't seem like the worst. It's still a 5 year old model (even if it was used for only a year).

You'll need a PCI-E one two, or a lower rated graphics card. I hope that you don't end up paying more in the long run trying to prop up a substandard PSU.

Regarding the R3 case: A great case, easy to work with and stunning how quiet it is.

The GPU i got is nvidia 8500GT.

You'll probably be okay then, that's a pretty low power system so it won't be putting too much strain on the PSU.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Put up a few pics if you get a chance.

Thanks

As requested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74480432&postcount=809

Advertisement