Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN dropping

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope someone can help me.

My VPN connection between iPhone and Windows 7 keeps dropping after a minute or so while using 3G/Edge. No issues with Wifi.

Packet sniffing shows that at the point of disconnection, the server sends a RST (reset) flag in the frame. The client then sends an echo request and some more PPP compressed packets until it sees it won't be getting a reply, then duly terminates the PPP through LCP.

My questions are:

1. Why would this only happen over cellular data network and not Wifi? (I've held a 30 min WiFi VPN connection, but max. 1 minute with 3G/Edge).

2. Should the client be handling the RST better?

3. Any Win7 experts know where I can find logs that may tell me why the RST flag is being set?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

TBH,you've lost me with so many techie terms !!
    What exactly are you missing with so many hands-on information...

Try another phone,try another VPN client,try another Win7 end !
    Try another mast,another ISP,another mobile network.

Is 3G so reliable for VPN traffic shape ??? Dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

rolion wrote: »
    TBH,you've lost me with so many techie terms !!
    What exactly are you missing with so many hands-on information...

Try another phone,try another VPN client,try another Win7 end !
    Try another mast,another ISP,another mobile network.

Is 3G so reliable for VPN traffic shape ??? Dunno...

Hi, thanks for reply.

I think you're right, I need to try with a different mobile network provider!

I've come to the conclusion that the server is terminating the connection (setting a reset flag) because it's not receiving acknowledgements (ack flag) from the client (phone). I know this because there is a tcp packet retransmitting every 5-6 seconds. A retransmit never happens when using wifi. Basically the bandwidth/latency time of cellular data is just not suitable for VPN. At least not from whatever mast I connect to from my bedroom.

Would be interested to know if anyone else uses VPN over a non-wifi connection?

Advertisement