Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th Edition advice please

Options
  • 15-09-2011 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm a sparks but haven't done much domestic installation. I'm building my own house and so I'm wiring it myself.I just want to ask a couple of questions.

Are bathroom lights now to be rcd connected,have they to be on their own circuit.If yes will that cause nuisance tripping.

Do I need a rcd for sockets and a seperate 1 for immersion heater.I will have a water pump so will I need a third 1 for that.Do you experienced domestic guys have an rcbo for shower,one for immersion and a third one for the water pump.I have a central heating boiler is that a fourth rcbo.I may also have 2 pump showers.Thats heading for 6 rcbos. is that the way its done now.

Earthing I figure 10 sq to hot press.What about kitchen can I take a 2.5 from closest socket.Do all bathrooms need an earth(rads,sink bath) Does the bath need a 10 sq.Do I need to earth boiler or main gas incomer.

1 last one.I've heard the mains need a mcb in meter box?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't know what all the fuss about nuisance tripping is to be honest.

If you need to put bathroom lights on an RCD, can't they just be put on a a 6 or 10amp 30mA RCBO for each bathroom covering the lights+fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Hi
    I'm a sparks but haven't done much domestic installation. I'm building my own house and so I'm wiring it myself.I just want to ask a couple of questions.

Are bathroom lights now to be rcd connected,have they to be on their own circuit.If yes will that cause nuisance tripping.

Yes seperate RCD circuit for bathroom lights or RCBO

Do I need a rcd for sockets and a seperate 1 for immersion heater.I will have a water pump so will I need a third 1 for that.Do you experienced domestic guys have an rcbo for shower,one for immersion and a third one for the water pump.I have a central heating boiler is that a fourth rcbo.I may also have 2 pump showers.Thats heading for 6 rcbos. is that the way its done now.

You can use individual RCBO's for sockets immersion etc if you want but its not a requirement. one rcd covering those circuits individual mcb's is fine.Except the shower that should have its own RCBO

Earthing I figure 10 sq to hot press.What about kitchen can I take a 2.5 from closest socket.Do all bathrooms need an earth(rads,sink bath) Does the bath need a 10 sq.Do I need to earth boiler or main gas incomer.

Main bonding should be at least half the CSA of the largest protective conductor in the installation but not less than 10sq copper.Bond structural metal parts,incoming water,incoming gas,central heating systems etc.Supplementary bonding should be minimum 4sq in bathrooms etc unless it is mechanically protected in which case 2.5sq is the min.Kitchen sinks etc still connected to local earth in a socket or whatever.

1 last one.I've heard the mains need a mcb in meter box?

Yes I believe this is the case but the other lads here will confirm

Thanks in advance

No more rings in Kitchens need at least 2 radials and sockets that are inaccessible,eg behind the washing machine etc,have to have a Double pole isolator on them which is easily accessible.

I'm sure Meercat,M cebee,2011 and Robbie7730 etc will have more input

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

superg wrote: »
    No more rings in Kitchens need at least 2 radials and sockets that are inaccessible,eg behind the washing machine etc,have to have a Double pole isolator on them which is easily accessible.

I'm sure Meercat,M cebee,2011 and Robbie7730 etc will have more input

Agree with superg on all. Also, just to confirm you do need an mcb in the meter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

hi superg can you explain this part
    Supplementary bonding should be minimum 4sq in bathrooms etc unless it is mechanically protected in which case 2.5sq is the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

mechanically protected

Conduit

• Advertisement

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Conduit

in a domestic premises?

honestly if never heard of that

iv always just seen 2.5sq looped in a bathroom from rads, to sink, to bath to make sure all the exposed metal parts will be at the same potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Thanks for the replies guys.I appreciate it.To superg I'm attaching a download from hager regarding seperate RCD'S for water heating devices.Perhaps you could have a look at page 11 and 12 and let me know your take on that.

Kind regards

evosteo wrote: »
    in a domestic premises?

iv always just seen 2.5sq looped in a bathroom from rads, to sink, to bath to make sure all the exposed metal parts will be at the same potential

Yeah 2.5 is all I've ever seen too but it is in the rules that it should be 4sq unless in conduit etc.Rule 544.2.2

in a domestic premises?

Never came across it myself, its stated in the regulations though. Its just bonding in general not specifically for bathrooms.

Thanks for the replies guys.I appreciate it.To superg I'm attaching a download from hager regarding seperate RCD'S for water heating devices.Perhaps you could have a look at page 11 and 12 and let me know your take on that.

Kind regards

It looks to me that the info in that is inaccurate.If you look at the actual rule they refer to it states

"A circuit supplying a water heating appliance........Shall be protected by an RCD having a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA.

A seperate RCD or RCBO shall be provided for each shower unit"

No mention in that about seperate RCBOS or RCD's for each water heating unit So as I mentioned,shower gets its own RCBO,and the immersion goes on the same RCD as the sockets.RCBO for the bathroom too.

If you want you can use RCBO's for each,up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

rum and coke
    best of luck with your house build

agree with other posters here
    other things to note
    distribution board min height 1.4 mts to bottom/max 2.25 to top

mains operated smokes in hall, landing ,main living area(sitting room)
    heat detector in kitchen(interlinked with all smokes)
    these are the minimum,you may require more

separate circuit for freezer not on rcd connected with fused spur( or on its own rcbo if connected to socket)

rcd protection on all lighting points not attached to main building(garden lights,driveway lights,pier lights etc)

water pumps must be protected by rcd(this includes heating circulation pumps)

as this is your own house my advice is to install a 3 row board and install rcbo for every circuit(i know this is overkill but its your own house)
    we are nearly at the stage when rcd protection will be compulsory for the whole installation
    rcbo will help isolate and identify any future faults

i would also install an emergency light near the fuseboard and on the landing and near the front door(a recess downlight can be adapted)

keep updating your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdesbt

is the mcb in the meter box not only a requirement if the fuseboard is more than a certain distance away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

jdesbt wrote: »
    is the mcb in the meter box not only a requirement if the fuseboard is more than a certain distance away.

Yes theres something in there on that
    as the mcb is primarily providing SC
    protection

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdesbt

i think its 5 meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Thanks again for replies. I was told 3 metres.
    To meerkat I would love to put all circuits on rcbo's but it would be overkill and money is tight.
    Why have we moved from ring circuits.What was wrong with them.

There's a safety aspect to ring circuits. If there is a break in the ring you will end up with two 2.5mm sq cables been protected by a 32A protective device.

and even worse case scenario

its not unknown for the legs to be inserted in different breakers at a later stage in domestic work

M cebee wrote: »

its not unknown for the legs to be inserted in different breakers at a later stage in domestic work

have seen that happen alot lately on alot of recent builds?

jus wondering i heard a while ago that their may be a requirement to have an emergency fitting located in the bathroom on its own circuit protected by a rcbo,

any truth to this?

was this rule implemented or was it just a recomendation?

jus wondering i heard a while ago that their may be a requirement to have an emergency fitting located in the bathroom on its own circuit protected by a rcbo,

any truth to this?

was this rule implemented or was it just a recomendation?[/Quote

not for domestic-an amendment clarified it

for hotel b&b yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

pieface_ie wrote: »
    There's a safety aspect to ring circuits. If there is a break in the ring you will end up with two 2.5mm sq cables been protected by a 32A protective device.

Or earth open circuit so a 1.5 earth for a 5 square 32 amp circuit, or both ends of loop into different breakers as m cebee said, a good possibility when a board is upgraded and no proper awareness of ring main possibility from the installer.

None of the above are self monitoring like a radial would be.

Never wired a ring main circuit in a domestic installation myself.

• Advertisement

any truth to this?

was this rule implemented or was it just a recomendation?

they aborted the requirement for an emergency light but kept the rcd protection though

jdbest
    "is the mcb in the meter box not only a requirement if the fuseboard is more than a certain distance away."

the main protective device for the installation must be situated
    1. at the main supply point(the origin of the installation) or
    2. within 3mts of the meter(i.e. in the distribution board)provided the conductors upstream are mechanically protected and/or located so as to avoid risk of short-circuit and damage,and are not placed near combustible material.branch connections are not permitted.
    where the device is located at the main supply point it may be located in a special compartment inside the standard meter cabinet.in which case the device must be an mcb.(430.4)

it would be more prudent to always install one imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    it would be more prudent to always install one imho

Yea, just put one in any domestic installation that has a meter cabinet is the way forward. No thinking about distances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mikejjp

The house I'm trying to finish off was abandoned 2007/8 with just the first fix wiring done. With the change from 3rd to 4th edition would you expect to have to re-cable any circuits or beef up the earth bonding? Anything else affecting first fix?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No ring socket circuits, RCD for bathroom lighting and restriction on the hight to the top of your distribution board.

mikejjp wrote: »
    The house I'm trying to finish off was abandoned 2007/8 with just the first fix wiring done. With the change from 3rd to 4th edition would you expect to have to re-cable any circuits or beef up the earth bonding? Anything else affecting first fix?

The rules aren't retrospective but it would be good practice to upgrade where possible

no ring ccts kitchen

if its only at 1st fix stage now then surely it will have to be finished to 4th ed rules

you might be lucky with cable lengths at db?

a kitchen ring cct
    should be no prob to split up

Overswitches for sockets
    and bathroom lights could be a bit of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

RECI have been talking about banning 1.5mm single earth from their jobs as well so check with them if they are certifying the job. They want to use 2.5 single instead and its only the earth they are referring to

reci can't ban 1.5 singles
    Cpc-same size as live conductors except for t+e
    Last time i looked anyhow

• Advertisement

if its only at 1st fix stage now then surely it will have to be finished to 4th ed rules

work started before 30 sept 2009 and in substantial advanced state can be completed and certified in accordance with 3rd edition

http://reci.ie/Portals/0/14062%20RECI%20News_1.pdf

Advertisement