Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance

• 15-09-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

I looking at getting a car in a monthes time when im 18 . Im driving a moped with nearly 2 years . A car im looking at will be 2001-2003 and a 1 liter engine. Do you know how much my insurance would be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I looking at getting a car in a monthes time when im 18 . Im driving a moped with nearly 2 years . A car im looking at will be 2001-2003 and a 1 liter engine. Do you know how much my insurance would be.

Did ya try a few quotes online? best bet is to get out the phonebook and ring around:) takes time but its worth it if it saves you couple hundred quid!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Do you know if no claims bonus from the scooter carries over to the car insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No, why would it? It's completely different.

I reckon you'll be looking at 2-2.5k for TPFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'll tell you if you give me The Euro Millions numbers for Tuesday! Deal?
    It's impossible to tell generally but even more so with the limited details you've given. Budget for 3 to 5k

Moped NCB won't carry over or be classed as driving experience alas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because if you make a claim it follows, they ask have you any claims in the last x years. So why shouldn't NCB's transfer?

Also riding a motorcycle makes most people better car drivers, driving a car doesn't make a better motorcyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Del2005 wrote: »

Because if you make a claim it follows, they ask have you any claims in the last x years. So why shouldn't NCB's transfer?

Also riding a motorcycle makes most people better car drivers, driving a car doesn't make a better motorcyclist.

He's riding a Moped. Few factors to be considered. Main one is that its a Moped. Limited road presence and generally highly monitored use by parent or Guardian. Now he is asking for Insurance on a 1 tonne piece of metal. It's very different and the damage he could cause even more so.

MugMugs wrote: »
    He's riding a Moped. Few factors to be considered. Main one is that its a Moped. Limited road presence and generally highly monitored use by parent or Guardian. Now he is asking for Insurance on a 1 tonne piece of metal. It's very different and the damage he could cause even more so.

The limited road presence is what makes most bikers better drivers. We're more aware of how small and vulnerable we are so take more care when on the road. Then when we get behind the wheel of 1 tonne+ of killing machine we don't forget that there are still vulnerable road users around.

You can't monitor someone on a moped, you can tell them to be careful but all parents should say that.

It's the same for a new driver getting a learners permit. But the issue I have is that if the OP had made a claim it will affect their premium so why can't NCB follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Do you honestly think that driving around a tiny scooter is comparable to driving around a car? The controls aren't the same, the size certainly isnt the same, nor does anything carry across bar the fact that they've experienced driving on the roads. Yes, that might make them a more aware driver, but you can't seriously tell me that if you plonk a moped driver into a car with no previous experience they'll drive without any problems or errors.

And also he won't have held a car license for long enough to have 2 years NCB

Do you honestly think that driving around a tiny scooter is comparable to driving around a car? The controls aren't the same, the size certainly isnt the same, nor does anything carry across bar the fact that they've experienced driving on the roads. Yes, that might make them a more aware driver, but you can't seriously tell me that if you plonk a moped driver into a car with no previous experience they'll drive without any problems or errors.

I know they are totally different. And I don't doubt that the OP will make mistakes, everyone does. But once they start driving then the motorbike experience will stand to them better then someone who never was on the road before.
    And also he won't have held a car license for long enough to have 2 years NCB

It doesn't mater. If the OP had made a claim on their moped policy they would be loaded in a car policy even thought they've never driven a car. Why can't they offer the same in reverse? Similar to how it's difficult to insure a 2nd car, some companies will mirror your NCB others won't. But a claim will affect all policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

i got quote from best quote for 1700 euro thats not to bad

• Advertisement
Advertisement