Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Lecturer's

Options
  • 15-09-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,

Just want to get a feeling of what people think about this question.

Will you ever be successful when complaining about a lecturer to another lecturer?

I failed my masters thesis element recently and my supervisor never met me once throughout the whole process. I am thinking about appealing the decision but not sure if I want to mention my supervisor, as lecturers generally stick together, don't they?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You failed your thesis? Not good, I appreciate that.

I know you say your supervisor never met with you, but how many attempts did you make to meet with them? Because that is the deciding factor IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

If you you are appealing the non-awarding of the degree what are the grounds for the appeal? My guess is the examiners look at the work in front of them and decide on that.

Complaints about lecturers would, I guess, go through another process.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Yeah I failed the thesis, never even heard of anyone failing a masters thesis before. I won't be able to graduate with the class now. I was doing another course during the time I was doing the thesis so I didn't spend as much time as I should of on it.

There was only one email exchanged between us. I said I couldn't meet him as my uncle died and he said ok. He is not even working with the college anymore and I haven't been able to find out why.

Its likely that I will just have to redo it, not sure yet what is happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There was only one email exchanged between us. I said I couldn't meet him as my uncle died and he said ok.

So if there was only one email exchanged, than you obviously did not seek to meet him? In that case, any limitations in your thesis is entirely your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

ardmacha wrote: »
    So if there was only one email exchanged, than you obviously did not seek to meet him? In that case, any limitations in your thesis is entirely your own fault.

Its my own fault I should have put more effort in at the time to pass rather than ending up in this awful situation.

I felt my thesis should have passed though given the work that I had put into it and the way that the rest of the course was marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Appeal it - universities have formal procedures and ultimately your appeal will be decided by a panel of independent people (including non-lecturers from outside the university)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you haven't already you should seek advice in the postgraduate forum too. The people there might have more experience with masters level issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Appeal the decision. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

I don't see how your lecturer can be to blame for you failing your thesis. If you look at it another way - the rest of your class passed, so he can't be that bad.

Advertisement