Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microbiology Research

Options
  • 15-09-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Got my BSc in Micro and want to further my education by getting a MSc or PhD and then go work with a company in a relevant field afterwards. The two areas of research open to me are environmental molecular micro or human pathogenic bacterial micro. My question is, by choosing one am I closing the door on the other. For example, if I went down the human pathogenic bacteria route would I be able to lets say go down the enviro route after, considering many techniques in micro overlap regardless of the area you're in, I would have thought with a MSc or Phd would make me employable in various areas.

Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Choosing one will not prevent you working in the other, but, if your ultimate aim is to work in industry as opposed to academia you would do well to inquire about employment opportunities now.......industry research is not common in Ireland, most people employed in pharma will not have a PhD - it will make you over qualified for a lot of roles. I remember at a recruitment event a few years back hearing from one of the major pharma companies in Ireland that less than 1% of their employees would be PhDs. Just something to consider if you are set on working in industry.....a PhD does not always add value ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I have a BSc in Microbiology and worked in Industry for a few years (before I started to hate it:)). There is little or no requirement for anything beyond a Bachelors degree to gain employment in Industry in Ireland, I'd almost say when you're lacking work experience having any further qualifications would hinder your chances as most companies would consider you over qualified for a quality role (which is where you're most likely to end up). Your best bet is to start looking for basic industry jobs right now,a and when you gain a few years experience think about adding to your qualifications. I know a couple of companies recruiting for Science graduates at the moment. PM me if you want more details.

Advertisement