Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Rage - Does anybody else suffer from it ?

• 15-09-2011 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Gents
    I am back on my old Moser once again and riding like a looney tune.. If I could calm my bike rage I would be grand ! I am on the daily hack now its 7 miles each way to work !

I was going to a storage facilty we have at work which is on the Tuam road. Traffic was bad and we needed a part quick smart so I gathered a few big spanners in my back pack... ! On to the bike and going well when a stoopid feckless idiot cut me off and I nearly rammed the path...!

I saw red and reached for a 36mm spanner out of my back pack (Zip was open slightly) and he got caught up with traffic ! I went past him dead slow pointing the spanner in an abusive threatning manner.... He leaned across to his passenger side thinking I was going to put his side window in... ! He will think about cyclists in future

You know I really ought to calm down a bit.... Thats right I slapped an Audi A4 drivers wing with my gloved hand after he cut me up as well... He got caught in traffic and then I had im... It was an English reg presume it was "Cream Crackers" ..

Punced a side window of a NI reg Picasso as well last month and said "Welcome to Galway you Northern Ireland pr**k" I forgot I have a Northern Accent - Oops

I drive the car and people cut me up, tailgate and change lanes without indicating.... ! This has no effect at all on me . !
    However do that to me on the bike and there will be hell to pay... I really should calm down and relax.....

Does this effect anyone else...? Or Iam I the only Rodger Roadrage ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

If you get this angry every time someone does something inconsiderate you'll be in an early grave. Being angry all the time is bad for your health. Getting angry will almost never do any good. The perpetrator will generally not give a damn about your opinion and may even be happy to get such an extreme reaction.

Also bear in mind that some car owners have a sort of complex about their cars. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way what percentage think it's ok to run down someone who has damaged their car.

Cultivate a zen attitude towards your cycle. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It won't be long before someone uses a bigger weapon on you (you know, their car) or you get arrested and a criminal conviction.

Remember that everyone around you is an idiot. There's no point in getting angry at idiots, they can't help it, they're just idiots. Instead consider that every time you have a near miss, it's partially your fault because you failed to take account of the idiot factor.

Ride assertively, not offensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Wow.

No, I'm pretty calm when it comes to cycling because I know anger doesn't get me anywhere. What am I going to do, headbutt the hood?

I generally ride a bit more agressive in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I think you need to address your aggression, your behaviour is ignorant and reckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Rochester wrote: »
    I think you need to address your aggression, your behaviour is ignorant and reckless.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Apart from the legal ramifications of behaving in a threatening manner in response to what the courts will probably regard -- rightly or wrongly -- as a simple error in operating a road vehicle, you never know how much someone else is willing to escalate a dispute. Some people have personality disorders, some people have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

not by a long shot, I've seen pumps being drawn at dawn, and lads taking on buses like they're Don Quixote.

If some idiot cuts you up and you catch up with them, if you must confront them, just let them know politely that another inch more and they might have killed you and be on your way. Don't get into any arguments, even if they come up alongside you with the window down ranting afterwards.
    Hopefully they'll reflect on your words later in the day and realise they're in control of a potential killing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

You have to try not to take it personally when you have a near miss on the bike, hard and all as that sounds. Remember that the driver/pedestrian/cyclist that endangered you doesn't know you from Adam and has just done something stupid/wreckless/inconsiderate without any specific thought about you.

This won't help you in the immediate aftermath of the incident; an angry reflex reaction is perfectly natural after such an event. However, once you've had 10 or 20 seconds to calm down and gather your thoughts try to remember that it wasn't a personal attack on you and that an aggressive pursuit of the perpetrator will have little or no positive effect as they will either be in shock from the event themselves or blissfully ignorant about it altogether. Either way, they won't appreciate aggressive or intimidating behaviour towards them from some mad loon on a bike.

Moflojo wrote: »
    Either way, they won't appreciate aggressive or intimidating behaviour towards them from some mad loon on a bike.
    Exactly. And it will never make someone think, "Oh jaysis I did something wrong", instead they will tell the tale in the pub of the psycho cyclist who chased them down and threatened them, which will be followed by similar tales of crazy exploits by cyclists before the entire group wraps up their discussion by declaring that all cyclists are psychopathic anarchist crusties and treating us with additional contempt when they're next on the roads.

Your behaviour doesn't make anyone a better driver. It just makes them hate cyclists more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get a helmet camera.

How certain are you that your own riding is perfect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

To the OP,
    I know a lad who brags about how he cut up a cyclist when driving his car, the cyclist like you saw red and when he caught up with him he also punched the wing mirror.

When the diver then passed the cyclist he opened the door hitting the cyclist sending him flying. He didn't give one thought to the cyclists welfare or to the damage to the car as it was a company car and he just make up some yarn about the car being damaged in his absence.

The driver didn't cut up the cyclist intentionaly, he like you saw red and just wanted revenge, so he took it.

Remember there's always a bigger fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I agree the OP's reaction a bit over the top, and only a matter of time before someone comes out swinging with a hurl / baseball bat, or worse as pointed out. Cyclicts and car drivers can be equally as selfish on the roads.

I generally try to point out the error to the driver, yesterday I had a white van man pull out right in front of me, I was doing a fair clip on the way to work. I had to break really hard and steer topwards the kerb to miss him. As he was stuck in the lights, I pulled up along side and, in a calm voice, pointed out to the chap that he nearly killed me back there, and next time another cyclist might not be so lucky. The guy was very apologetic, gave me usual 'I didn't see you' guff (I'm 6'2", so would think I cut quiet an imposing figure:D), unusually for a white van man, rolled up his window and we each went our separate ways.

This morning, had some b*nt come up my left at a roundabout at Coolmine Station, where I was turning right, she squeezed by me on my left, beeping me as she went, making me move out of my position I had adopted for turning right. She under took me on my left side on the roundabout, came out in front of me and cut in front of me she exited. No indicators or any oterh warning of what she was doing. Dangerous for me and a complete disregard for the rules of the road or fellow road users. I was going to pull up along side her to have a word at the next set of lights, which I shortly had an opportunity to do as the traffic crom Castleknock Road is backed up to Laaurel Lodge frequently. In her case, maybe would have advised her to lay off the cream cakes and get a bike. Some people just can't be helped.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I used to be like you, now I'm much more Zen. Normally if someone does something like that I'd have a word, and either question their eyesight or driving ability. The only time I've lost the rag completely in the last 6 years was with a prick on a country road who cut up three of us and blew us out of it, he then decided he didn't like some hand gestures.

Your best off pedalling harder or doing some hill reps to get out that anger dude, don't take it out on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pills_1384371c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

A Moser? Nice. Pity there isn't a velodrome nearby, there'd be killings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I've screamed obscenities at cars when they've done something stupid. I wasn't doing anything crazy like running red lights or cutting through traffic or using the pavement so it felt (feels) quite justified. It hardly happens now and perhaps that's from being more diligent in following the advice that everyone else on the road (motorists, other cyclists and pedestrians) is an idiot, so focus on defensive road use. I've also switched from seeing it as a personal interaction and so taking it personally. Part of it was realising I love to cycle and that should be what each journey is about. That said I swore at a car yesterday who veered left towards me while passing because the driver had his head turned (away from me and road ahead) looking at the Sportsground on College Road (Galway). Escalating to violence though has never entered my head and OP you really need to get that in check. Drivers in Galway are not happy people at the moment (roundabouts being replaced with traffic lights) and I could easily see an escalation.

i wish that car driver was me.... i would have cut you off and got out and used that spanner to smash your thick northern head wide open. you would have needed 6 months dental treatment you prick......i cant wait to meet you and your spanners.....i can assure you 100% you will not slap my car or wave anything at me. because i will leave you as near as dead,as is possibe. anytime anywhere scumbag.

Someone obviously doesn't understand the word "irony". Or maybe it's "hypocrisy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Yes, sometimes I feel like punching cyclists for careering down footpaths, or cycling the wrong way down one way streets or whizzing through red lights as people are crossing.

But you must turn the other cheek, OP. No sense in resorting to violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

i wish that car driver was me.... i would have cut you off and got out and used that spanner to smash your thick northern head wide open. you would have needed 6 months dental treatment you prick......i cant wait to meet you and your spanners.....i can assure you 100% you will not slap my car or wave anything at me. because i will leave you as near as dead,as is possibe. anytime anywhere scumbag.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Yes, sometimes I feel like punching cyclists for careering down footpaths, or cycling the wrong way down one way streets or whizzing through red lights as people are crossing.

But you must turn the other cheek, OP. No sense in resorting to violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can we substitute in Khannie? Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lumen wrote: »
    Can we substitute in Khannie? Please?

/batsignal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'm going to echo Rochester here as I think his point is the the most sensible response you got and might get lost in all the jokes.

You need to find a healthy outlet for your aggression

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Gents
    I am back on my old Moser once again and riding like a looney tune.. If I could calm my bike rage I would be grand ! I am on the daily hack now its 7 miles each way to work !

I was going to a storage facilty we have at work which is on the Tuam road. Traffic was bad and we needed a part quick smart so I gathered a few big spanners in my back pack... ! On to the bike and going well when a stoopid feckless idiot cut me off and I nearly rammed the path...!

I saw red and reached for a 36mm spanner out of my back pack (Zip was open slightly) and he got caught up with traffic ! I went past him dead slow pointing the spanner in an abusive threatning manner.... He leaned across to his passenger side thinking I was going to put his side window in... ! He will think about cyclists in future

You know I really ought to calm down a bit.... Thats right I slapped an Audi A4 drivers wing with my gloved hand after he cut me up as well... He got caught in traffic and then I had im... It was an English reg presume it was "Cream Crackers" ..

Punced a side window of a NI reg Picasso as well last month and said "Welcome to Galway you Northern Ireland pr**k" I forgot I have a Northern Accent - Oops

I drive the car and people cut me up, tailgate and change lanes without indicating.... ! This has no effect at all on me . !
    However do that to me on the bike and there will be hell to pay... I really should calm down and relax.....

You seem extremely proud of yourself for actually going full retard. Well done. It's only a matter of time before someone hops out and tonks the head off you. But you're probably the kind of guy to target women drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

du Maurier wrote: »
    You seem extremely proud of yourself for actually going full retard. Well done. It's only a matter of time before someone hops out and tonks the head off you. But you're probably the kind of guy to target women drivers.

Never go full retard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Blacktalons banned - next time it will be permanent

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

I kicked a car that cut across me once. Was nearly knocked off. Driver stopped and shouted abuse, and said they were calling the guards etc.

The whole incident made me feel sick.

I ride the bike like an assertive zen master now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was sometimes prone to not so random acts of violence against other road users tha p1ssed me off.

However I recommend this . . . .
    Junior wrote: »
    I used to be like you, now I'm much more Zen. Normally if someone does something like that I'd have a word, and either question their eyesight or driving ability.
    Your best off pedalling harder or doing some hill reps to get out that anger dude, don't take it out on others.

. . . and this is also very good. Particularly the dark green and white ones.
    Lumen wrote: »
    pills_1384371c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

I suppose we all have a bit of rage at the start.. I remember shouting at a woman that opened her car door which caused me to swerve.. She said sorry but I was too busy saying 'For F**k sake' and all that jargon..

Now I wouldn't be bothered to say anything.. Just give a look. and continue on.. If i still feel any sort of rage inside me from an incident.. will use it on the pedals..

OP just needs to realise there not out to knock your off the bike.. they may be careless drivers but thinking a spanner will knock sense into them is just ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

There is nothing wrong with cursing.

Maybe it's just Cork, but in my opinion folk are really angry when they are not cursing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

seamus wrote: »
    Ride assertively, not offensively.

Silly newbie question but could you expand a bit on how to do this?

Victor wrote: »
    Get a helmet camera.

How certain are you that your own riding is perfect?

Any recommendations for such a camera?

mp31 wrote: »
    I've a leaflet that gives you the basics. PM if you want a soft copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Well Lads
    I took off from work yesterday determined not to get stressed or angry on the road. Nice steady clip now not flat out just steady. Paid attention to everthing and everyone around. seen some bad driving but hey.. No matter

I kept aware of people behind and waved them on when it was safe to do so. A wave from a lady in a Ka and a Thank you beep from Mrs Mitsubishi Pajero..!

A bit of small talk from Mr.Chatty Passat at a red light who said he was going to have to get up off his ass and start cycling. I told him to do a few miles first and get the confidence on the bike then build up from that with greater distances ! I told him not to go at it like a bull at a gate...:D

He asked was there any good sites on the net for beginners .. I of course told him about this forum ... I said to look around it and you will get loads of good advice.. I wonder if hes reading this ;)

A few waves, nods and howyas from fellow bikers

Turning right off the road was no bother.. Nice and steady.When the road behind was clear I put my arm out and crossed to the middle. An approaching BMW flashed me across so a thank you wave from me !

Thanks for the great advice lads as yesterdays run was a revalation ! If you ride like a goon you will be treated like a goon ! If you take it steady and show a bit of savvy and reaspect you will get it back. I was only about 2mins slower yesterday but I came home in great form - faith restored in mankind....

Bike rage is really only in your own head... Bike love anyone !:eek:

I wonder what interesting caracters I will meet today on the way home

Thanks again for the sound advice lads .. Top Men !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

... Bike love anyone !:eek:

bike-love-lane.jpg?w=225&h=300

• Advertisement

mp31 wrote: »
    Read this book, it's a good start:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-complete-enjoyable-cycling-children/dp/0117037400

The first few chapters are super-basic - how to ride a bike - but the whole thing is a must-read for anyone who cycles on the road.

There tends to be a misconception that assertiveness is getting what you want without being militant about it. But it's more about simply ensuring that you make yourself heard, even if in the end you don't necessarily get your way (just because you're being assertive, doesn't mean you're in the right). Assertiveness is effectively the art of zen - learning how to keep your head when everyone around is losing theirs.
    Cycling assertively isn't about aggressively defending your road position or forcing your way, it about positioning yourself on the road and conducting yourself in such a way that you don't get forced into a dangerous position by anyone else.

Read the above book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Had an incident once,when coming back from a midweek spin with a mate, he had checked over his shoulder, signaled and manouvered into the middle of the road to pull into his estate,next thing there was an almighty blowing of a horn, with a guy in a pickup with 2 dogs in the front, who started shouting obscenities at us. My mate at this point calmly asked him what his problem was, and was met with more abuse, then here's where the story gets good, my mate asked him why his dogs were not secured and sitting in the front of the cab, the guy started getting more irate at this stage, hurling more abuse. It was at this point my mate showed him his ID and identified himself as a member of the Gardai.....never seen someones attitude change so quickly, I was trying very hard not to wet myself laughing. The end result was the guy was told to be more considerate and patient with all road users and to move his dogs from the front of the cab.Priceless. Moral is, you have no idea what or whom you are dealing with in these situations

xz wrote: »
    It was at this point my mate showed him his ID and identified himself as a member of the Gardai.
    Boy, if life were only like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've a leaflet that gives you the basics. PM if you want a soft copy.

Also have a look at this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gents

you treally wouldn't wanna pull a spanner on some people dude, i know loads of people taht carry a wheel brace under their seat

breaker+bar1224546391.jpg

this type

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Also have a look at this...

Thanks cdaly - that was very enlightening.

I was out earlier on this evening and doing the usual thing of riding close to the kerb and riding even closer when the road got narrower because I didn't want to get in the way of other cars. Then I moaned when a car overtook me with just a few inches of room between me and the car... now I realize I gave the driver an option to squeeze thru and he/she took it!

Whilst looking at that website, I came across this: http://www.floridabicycle.org/freedomfromfear.html

This is the sort of stuff everyone (esp those starting out) should read.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

What a mad thread. I cycle to get rid of all of my aggression, not that i have any, more just the stresses of the day - me time with my own bit of zen. I know that I will meet idiot drivers and am aware 'not to judge them, for they know notwhat they do'. just be aware that they are there. Dont let them dictate the outcome and humour of your ride. Glad it worked out OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Its probably a result of the adrenaline, causes you to feel courageous, while raising aggression.

See it often when cocaine or methamphetamine use also. Similar physiology raising catecholamine levels.
    The medical term we commonly use is "gone psycho":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I fully agree with the 'Zen and the art of bicycle cycling' responses in this thread and in general try to remain calm whenever I'm faced with potentially dangerous and or aggressive situations. However angry I may be I've yet to confront any of the people involved and hope I never will. That said, sometimes as I pedal away, aggression ebbing out of my system, I can't help but think....

1000x500px-LL-6a9381a7_Hinault-punch-PINP-thumb.jpg

.........what would Bernard do? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

While driving I am absolutely at peace, I never get road rage.

But while on the bike I have exploded, only a few weeks ago I belted someones roof, but he did gently clip me and then just drove on. In retrospect I should have taken his licence plate number and reported him. But alas.

But that was a case when anger was fitting, there has being other occasions when it wasn't. I think it is because I feel so vulnerable on a bike but I feel safe in a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

4leto wrote: »
    While driving I am absolutely at peace, I never get road rage.

But while on the bike I have exploded, only a few weeks ago I belted someones roof, but he did gently clip me and then just drove on. In retrospect I should have taken his licence plate number and reported him. But alas.

But that was a case when anger was fitting, there has being other occasions when it wasn't. I think it is because I feel so vulnerable on a bike but I feel safe in a car.

Please read both links in this post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

happytramp wrote: »
    I fully agree with the 'Zen and the art of bicycle cycling' responses in this thread and in general try to remain calm whenever I'm faced with potentially dangerous and or aggressive situations. However angry I may be I've yet to confront any of the people involved and hope I never will. That said, sometimes as I pedal away, aggression ebbing out of my system, I can't help but think....

1000x500px-LL-6a9381a7_Hinault-punch-PINP-thumb.jpg

.........what would Bernard do? :D

You know that's a truck driver he's about to whack?! G'wan the Badger!

Advertisement