Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many covers do u put on silage pit?

• 15-09-2011 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

apologies for txt speech couldn't fit it all in:D opened my second cut pit yesterday- was only 1 cover on it, the triticale and lupins are going in to it today and then there will be grass silage going on top.. is there a need to put another cover on the cover i have or is one enough? it was a new cover a few weeks ago, no holes or anything in it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

If some of the older generation had there way about 5 layers 1 new and old ones on top
    but we put 1 new one and 1 old one over the top of it, only problem with all the layers i find is getting it to seal well at the top of the walls, its the only place we get some bad stuff,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

We use last years cover as an undercover and put the new one on top. TBH I think it makes little difference once there are no holes in the cover and the most important part is that the silage is well rolled. I always stay around the pit all day and roll myself on my tractor and make sure that the loading shovel never stops all day either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

F.D wrote: »
    If some of the older generation had there way about 5 layers 1 new and old ones on top
    but we put 1 new one and 1 old one over the top of it, only problem with all the layers i find is getting it to seal well at the top of the walls, its the only place we get some bad stuff,

i try and line the walls with the new layer. when the pit is full fold the plastic over the pit. you wont get a better seal at your wall any other way. its a bit of a pain to organise al right when you don't know when the contractors are going to turn up:rolleyes:. put the old sheet ontop of the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I've put on 4! If I have to put on a new one, put it on first. Best I think if the innermost cover has no holes if possible. This year I sealed down the sides at the top of the walls with interlocking pallets where the pit itself is higher than the wall; tyres at the bottom and the guard rails at the top hold them in place. It'll be interesting to see if it seals better than just sand bags. Whether or which, they'll be easier to take off than frozen, cracked, water-filled, heavyish CAN bags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

sides covered with old ones so they go in 6 ft then a new cover and last years cover on top, so never had any problem with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement