Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider Bite

• 15-09-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm sure a lot of people have noticed there are loads of huge spiders about the place these days, I've heard its because they are out trying to find a mate this time of year. I always presumed they were harmless, and usually pick them up and fire them out the nearest door/window. However last night I was havin a shower n felt a sting on my leg n there was this huge f***er down at my feet, I can't be 100%, but I'm pretty sure he bit me, I had not other cause for the sting, and the stinging itself lasted a few hours, getting more severe over the first hour or two.

Can anyone give some info on spiders in Ireland, what are the common species (large ones), and do they actually bite??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

I'd go to your local pharmacy for advice or even your gp if your concerned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The only species Im aware of that bites over here are the False Widows.These huge ones that you see cant physically break human skin.

I doubt it was a spider bite to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

If someone else had told me this story I would have said the very same, I even had a disagreement with my sister earlier that day about whether or not spiders in Ireland would bite you.

Something definitely bit me tho, and the only creature around at the time was the spider???

I don't think it was a false widow, judging by the pictures available online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All spiders bite. We are aware because of family in eg Canada where many spider bites are very poisonous and leave huge craters in flesh. But all spiders bite and some folk are sensitive and others not. Same here with the wasp sting that is still bad two days on.

Does not affect all the same way.

Antihistamine cream will help but yes to the pharmacist etc if it happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mammy6

Spiders!! I have killed eight in my house in the last 10 days. they are huge.... whats goimg on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Tazium

OP, it starts slowly but first signs are vision improving along with your peripheral and spacial awareness. A certain tingling sensation that later you can put down to your spider sense. You'll find next time you are on tippy toes reaching for the high shelf a small web like substance will emit, do not panic! Costume shops in the city have you covered.

Advertisement