Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭paulmcshane

Great post Thomond. I firmly believe we can win this weekend, but don't expect to. An awful lot of things have to start happening for this Irish team to match the Aussies. My only hope is they get at Quade Cooper and really make his evening one to forget. Anyways, COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RonBo88

Ireland to win imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

Matt Williams
    The Irish players have been telling us they can win but based on recent evidence i just cant see it.
    I can see the wallabies pulling away after 60mins leaving us chasing the game. God i hope im wrong.
    The weather forecast is for rain on Sat, which should make it an even more interesting encounter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think we're in with a great shot in this game. I don't think the Australian team is everything they're written up to be. A very good team yes, but not unbeatable. The All Blacks blew them away in the first game of the Tri Nations. This was after the Samoans beat them too. Granted this was not a first choice Oz team but similarly the Irish team that beat a very similar Samoan team was also not first choice.

Other than the English games we have shown in all our games in this calendar year pockets of potentially great rugby. It's not unrealistic to think that we can do this for a whole game or enough of a game against the Aussies that we can beat them.

Before last Sunday I would have said we have a better goal kicker in Sexton too. Cooper and JOC are not of the same standard. Hopefully Sexton will have his kicking boots on come Saturday. In both Sexton, ROG, and BOD we have far better drop goal kickers too.

We have a very good axis in the Leinster 7, 8, 9, and 10. Our out of form centres are still better than their Oz counterparts. Oz have a few top quality strike runners in JOC and Beale but Cooper is still to erratic at outhalf for me. When you look at their win against NZ in the Tri Nations decider it was Genia pulling the strings not Cooper. He was outplayed in all occasions by Carter when they met. I would expect Sexton to do similarly on the weekend.

We also have a better tight five, scrum, and line out than the Aussies. They do have a great back row but Ferris, Heaslip, and SOB will be dying to have a cut off them in their first big World Cup games.

Our team isn't performing as we'd like but I see a whole lot of reasons to be optimistic for the game on Saturday. I think we very much have the potential to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Matt Williams
    Just logged in to see 46% of people who voted think Ireland are going to win. We really are an optimistic bunch arent we?..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Australia
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Just logged in to see 46% of people who voted think Ireland are going to win. We really are an optimistic bunch arent we?..

Gotta get behind the team and have a little faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Australia

Yup! Fair play to us!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Great OP Thomand. I agree re the result too. I just can't share the optimism I'm seeing from a lot of people here. There's a lot of talk about our potential and players abilities, and I do agree there is some great talent in this team, but I don't believe we have the coaching staff capable of making the best of it. We've looked utterly rudderless for most of the year and last week when we should have been kicking for the corners and putting the American set piece under pressure we weren't anywhere near enough. Neither the players nor the management made the call to take advantage of that area of the game.

And what's worse is I think the Aussies are very beatable. I had been tipping them to win the RWC before the tri-nations but after seeing them play over the last couple of months they don't look that intimidating. With quick ball they are electric and even NZ a few weeks back couldn't cope with them. But without that quick ball, in an attritional game, they can be found seriously wanting. If we target the breakdown, Genia and Cooper we stand every chance of neutralising this team. Sadly I've seen nothing to make me believe the Irish management can implement the right gameplan and the game against the USA only confirmed that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

isnt the match gmt 8.30? its kicking off at 9.30 irish time isnt it and we are gmt plus one i thought?

Matt Williams
    Skunkle wrote: »
    Gotta get behind the team and have a little faith.

Faith can only possibly be based on the fact that Ireland have a history of pulling out performances (though not victories) on a one off basis against Australia. Also on the fact that when our players pull on their provincial jerseys they can produce world class performances-am thinking of POC, SOB, Heaslip, Healy, Sexton, Bowe, Ferris and BOD. I expect us to produce a performance-but still get turned over by 10-15.

• Advertisement

Matt Williams
    wonton wrote: »
    isnt the match gmt 8.30? its kicking off at 9.30 irish time isnt it and we are gmt plus one i thought?

We are GMT and the match kicks off at 9.30AM Irish time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

We are GMT and the match kicks off at 9.30AM Irish time.

ah grand was thinking I mixed up the time, but we are GMT+1, GMT stays the same while we went one hour ahead for daylight saying, we'll be back to GMT in october, pretty head wrecking really haha.

Matt Williams
    wonton wrote: »
    ah grand was thinking I mixed up the time, but we are GMT+1, GMT stays the same while we went one hour ahead for daylight saying, we'll be back to GMT in october, pretty head wrecking really haha.

Yes my apologies-we are GMT +1 right now. Auckland is GMT +12.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Australia
    I voted Ireland cause..

*We are due a big performance
    *We have the best team we could possible field with the exception of Darcy and maybe Ocallaghan
    *As Bleg said its the biggest game of the careers of many of these Irish players
    "On our day we can beat anyone" tbh I'm sick of hearing this one but as we seen from the England 6N game, it’s somewhat true.
    *We have more experience with the likes of POC and O'driscoll
    *We have Sean if there not a hole, Ill make one O`brian! haha
    *The team know that in order to get to the semi final they need to beat Aus this weekend, of cource even if they don't they can still get there, but will have to take on SA in oder to do so
    *We have Tommy bowe (think the bookies have him as odds favourite to score the most tries)
    *Italy held Aus 6-6 for the first half
    *we won't give them easy ball but instead will play a fast game as indicted by sextons starting with Reddan
    *we finally get to see our best halfback combination
    ect... ect... point being, most people are writing off our chances against Aus purely on our performance of late, when in reality all we need to do is turn up.

Australia
    Faith can only possibly be based on the fact that Ireland have a history of pulling out performances (though not victories) on a one off basis against Australia. Also on the fact that when our players pull on their provincial jerseys they can produce world class performances-am thinking of POC, SOB, Heaslip, Healy, Sexton, Bowe, Ferris and BOD. I expect us to produce a performance-but still get turned over by 10-15.

I think we can expect a performance. By all accounts one is due and historically they do well against the Aussies.

I dont need faith to expect that I need the faith to think the team will be close or slightly ahead in the last 10-15 minutes. Anything can happen then. Drop goal either way, massive defensive/attacking effort.

Faith is based on the players and what they are capable of. I have faith in the players, I think they are certainly capable of holding the Aussies close and capable of sneaking it in the end and I think if ever there was a time for them to pull through this is it. I cant expect it but I do have faith.

I know other can look at this more objectively and see that the odds are stacked against us and common sense will tell ya we will lose to a better team. But I'm incapable of that, I think we can win every game. Even when we have no hope I still think we can pull it out of the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Australia
    IMO 10-15 points down after 60mins ROG will come on and we will lose by 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I have spent the last 2 days wandering around Seville day dreaming about the game and imagining how we're going to win it. I can picture Sexton cutting through the midfield on a fast recycle under the posts, I've seen SOB encountering a defensive line where there is no hole....and then making one, the image of POC floating above Horwill in the line out and wrestling the ball from his grasp continually drifts before my eyes.

The 34C and dehydration is really starting to get to me. I have my location for viewing sorted (thanks to WeeBushy) and the nerves/excitement/delusions are building steadily.

With a nod to Mayo GAA's unofficial motto, it's not the losing that kills us, it's the hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Australia
    GerM wrote: »
    I have spent the last 2 days wandering around Seville day dreaming about the game and imagining how we're going to win it. I can picture Sexton cutting through the midfield on a fast recycle under the posts, I've seen SOB encountering a defensive line where there is no hole....and then making one, the image of POC floating above Horwill in the line out and wrestling the ball from his grasp continually drifts before my eyes.

The 34C and dehydration is really starting to get to me. I have my location for viewing sorted (thanks to WeeBushy) and the nerves/excitement/delusions are building steadily.

With a nod to Mayo GAA's unofficial motto, it's not the losing that kills us, it's the hope.

Pretty much sums up, perfectly, what it is to be an Ireland supporter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

In my head I'm constantly refusing the idea of any Irish hope on the basis that the higher you are, the bigger the fall.. ;)

We shall see how it plays out on the day. In truth, the only thing I'm really hoping is that both teams play to their best.

Australia
    .ak wrote: »
    In my head I'm constantly refusing the idea of any Irish hope on the basis that the higher you are, the bigger the fall.. ;)

We shall see how it plays out on the day. In truth, the only thing I'm really hoping is that both teams play to their best.

I hope the Aussies have a shocker :D

• Advertisement

Australia
    Skunkle wrote: »
    I hope the Aussies have a shocker :D

Well if they play the whole game like they did against Italy in the first half all bets are off, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

Maybe Kidney has been playing us all? Maybe this is all part of his genius masterplan to lull the Aussies into a false sense of security by playing **** for the last few months?

Hopefully Australias' legs will fall off or something, we should lose by a respectable margin then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KidMonT

Matt Williams
    4wardpass wrote: »
    Maybe Kidney has been playing us all? Maybe this is all part of his genius masterplan to lull the Aussies into a false sense of security by playing **** for the last few months?

Hopefully Australias' legs will fall off or something, we should lose by a respectable margin then.

I doubt it. How can a team be so confident of their training that they are willing to put in bad test match performances on purpose. I've heard loads of people who've said what you said but i seriously doubt it. I wouldn't even think the All Blacks would pull off such a stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Australia
    The Irish team are talking themselves up, which is good to see.

Australia
    KidMonT wrote: »
    I doubt it. How can a team be so confident of their training that they are willing to put in bad test match performances on purpose. I've heard loads of people who've said what you said but i seriously doubt it. I wouldn't even think the All Blacks would pull off such a stunt.

Agreed. Then again what are we to think if we beat Aus this weekend by a good margin? Personally, I think if we do they'll make DK a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

KidMonT wrote: »

.....I was joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Matt Williams
    GerM wrote: »

A few lines from Myles na Gopaleen on the same subject:

"I met a poor man who was a stranger to these parts who asked me to direct him somewhere… Then he pointed to a big building and said what's that. I said that's the Bank of Ireland. He said what do they be doing in there. Well, I said, banks lend money, you know. He looked wistfully at the Old House and said I wonder would they lend me ten bob. Why not try, I said. Begor I think I will, he answered, a yellowish suffusion of worthless diluted blood mounting through his second-hand face, a symbol that the last thing to die in each of us is hope. Grey carrion soul-mincing hope, the one quality above all others that makes the human creature ridiculous and pathetic."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

No more headlines like ''Australia hold out for the win despite a brave Irish second-half comeback''. We need a heroic feat from 1-22 to win this, and I firmly believe we can. The lads have reputations to surpass and to earn. Despite our domination of Europe, we as a country, have to show the world that we can hang with/beat the best.

Its a crazy prediction but fcuk it! Ireland by 8.

Australia
    Listening to the O'Driscoll audio.

"We are going to have to be vicious in defence, we are going to have to bring an element of violence to the physical aspects of our game".

Kinda goes without saying but its odd to hear players talk about being violent. Hope they can match the Aussies for pace and physicality because if they cant they will be spent after the first half.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/matchdaytv/index/index/id/9252

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No more headlines like ''Australia hold out for the win despite a brave Irish second-half comeback''. We need a heroic feat from 1-22 to win this, and I firmly believe we can. The lads have reputations to surpass and to earn. Despite our domination of Europe, we as a country, have to show the world that we can hang with/beat the best.

Its a crazy prediction but fcuk it! Ireland by 8.

What have you been watching?:confused:

Advertisement