Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KidMonT

Matt Williams
    4wardpass wrote: »
    .....I was joking!

I had a feeling you may have been but felt like i should respond that way after hearing others say it with seriousness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Matt Williams
    What have you been watching?:confused:

Presumably he means at club/provincial level, where we have dominated. 4 titles in 6 years is fairly dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Matt Williams
    Trying to be optimistic here. The Italians showed the Aussies can be contained, for a half at least. Their scrum is still nothing to write home about. Against England, we showed what we can do when we really go at it even against a massive scrum. If we best them in the set-pieces, and if Jonny brings his kicking boots, anything is possible.

Matt Williams
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Presumably he means at club/provincial level, where we have dominated. 4 titles in 6 years is fairly dominant.

Probably is but when it comes to world rugby surely we should judge our standards at test level. We have foreign players in the provinces that have dominated Europe. We've underachieved internationally and i feel the Wallabies game this weekend will be the last chance many of our greats will have to show the world what Ireland can do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Matt Williams
    Indeed, Ireland have rarely failed to underwhelm on the world stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Australia
    we'll go close if we dont beat ourselves with silly knock ons. we have to get ball to hand at the crucial moment!! and sexton has to settle early

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

KidMonT wrote: »
    Probably is but when it comes to world rugby surely we should judge our standards at test level. We have foreign players in the provinces that have dominated Europe. We've underachieved internationally and i feel the Wallabies game this weekend will be the last chance many of our greats will have to show the world what Ireland can do.

Without opening a tin of worms, the majority of 'foreign' players in Irish provincial teams (which is very few, without even considering other club teams in the world*) are bolters, and with the exception of the likes of Howlett, Warwick, Nacewa, and Strauss, the majority of them are bolters, and even the ones I've mentioned have native talent in their boots (Isa vs Kearney, Strauss vs Wright/Cronin etc)

*Interesting fact I only learned today. Melbourne Rebels have no player native to Melbourne (or infact all of Victoria) in their team.

So in my opinion, the provincial club teams; Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht represent our country's skill at rugby, and their domination in the European championship is a testament to the potential skill of Irish rugby as a whole. And the 2010/11 ERC games, especially the KO stages, were as close to test rugby as anything I've ever seen, and I'd risk saying that some games in particular were even more intense and full of skill than the majority of international test matches.

There's plenty of reasons why there's such a difference between these teams when they wear their club shirts and when they pull on the green jersey.. Playing in a team over a season of 20-30 games is one, coaching is another... which brings me back on topic..
    Skunkle wrote:
    Listening to the O'Driscoll audio.

"We are going to have to be vicious in defence, we are going to have to bring an element of violence to the physical aspects of our game".

Kinda goes without saying but its odd to hear players talk about being violent. Hope they can match the Aussies for pace and physicality because if they cant they will be spent after the first half.

The one coaching aspect (in the Irish camp) I've been impressed with since the warm-up stages is the fitness aspect. A lot of things have gone painfully wrong with the game plan (or lack thereof), which was especially evident in the August Warm up series.. but one thing that has to be said is the level of fitness the players - it wasn't long ago that the Irish were known for becoming tired 60 minutes into a match. Now that's the one thing that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Maybe that'll be a major aspect to the game on saturday if it does turn into a dogfight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Matt Williams
    I am as optimistic as the next man. Sort of I suppose.
    I cannot understand where this 180 degree turn around is going to come from though. :confused:

"Johnny and his kicking boots", "reputations to surpass and earn", "showing the world what Ireland can do"......
    Well I for one am a red blooded Irish man and want for nothing more than Ireland to put on their best performance, as said from 1 to 22. I would be happy to see that.

However, that hasn't happened this season (so far) and it annoys me intensely why we preform so poorly against minnows and put up the greatest fight ever against almost unsurmountable odds.
    Where was this famous pride during the warm up tests games? Where was it during the first group test against USA? What happened there?
    Ball handling errors and no leadership on the pitch were stark reminders of just how average we can be when we don't have the correct frame of mind.
    Now, to get our no. 10 to get our backs moving... er, no. I think we will be eaten alive if we do that.
    BOD was talking of being vicious in attack and physical, yes but in defense.
    Like i said, I really want a good result , just like us all but I really can't see it coming. And, if it does, this brilliant performance, where the fcuk was it until now?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

Australia
    nice to see the poll now shows ireland to win.. whoop whoop. thats more like it guys. few bottles of stella may have influenced my vote mind.

roll on saturday. o brien to be man of the match

What's up with Heaslip's head gear? He's been wearing it in training all week.. Perhaps he hasn't fully recovered from that concussion?

• Advertisement

Matt Williams
    .ak wrote: »
    Without opening a tin of worms, the majority of 'foreign' players in Irish provincial teams (which is very few, without even considering other club teams in the world*) are bolters, and with the exception of the likes of Howlett, Warwick, Nacewa, and Strauss, the majority of them are bolters, and even the ones I've mentioned have native talent in their boots (Isa vs Kearney, Strauss vs Wright/Cronin etc)

*Interesting fact I only learned today. Melbourne Rebels have no player native to Melbourne (or infact all of Victoria) in their team.

So in my opinion, the provincial club teams; Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht represent our country's skill at rugby, and their domination in the European championship is a testament to the potential skill of Irish rugby as a whole. And the 2010/11 ERC games, especially the KO stages, were as close to test rugby as anything I've ever seen, and I'd risk saying that some games in particular were even more intense and full of skill than the majority of international test matches.

True, but sometimes i wonder maybe our provinces benefit by the fact that all our top players are condensed into 3 main clubs whilst players from other countries are dispersed among a large amount of clubs.

*Melbourne Rebels have just signed their first home grown player this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

Australia
    talk of heaslip havin a rog type of new haircut. is this the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Podge_irl wrote: »

Ya your probably right, but this is International level...Totally different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Australia
    A quote from Kearney in Indo
    It's brilliant to be back. I'm not going to change a huge amount -- if it's on I'll have a go and try and show what the back three are capable of. But I think there is going to be a lot of aerial play this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams do a fair bit of kicking.

Can I change my vote......:(

Australia
    What does everybody read into the two benches? I honestly don't know enough about the Oz bench to comment, any info would be great.

KidMonT wrote: »
    True, but sometimes i wonder maybe our provinces benefit by the fact that all our top players are condensed into 3 main clubs whilst players from other countries are dispersed among a large amount of clubs.

*Melbourne Rebels have just signed their first home grown player this year!

Yep, Lloyd Johansson, former reds player.. I suppose I can understand with Aus having such a low amount of registered rugby players.

You know, your point about our players being condensed into clubs is a good one. I've often wondered if we had more than just our 4 provincial clubs, could there be less of a bottle neck effect? Or would it just dilute whatever talent we do have?

What if AIL teams got to compete with senior provincial teams? As Omar used to say: How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Okay obviously there's a tier system in place for a reason, and obviously the issue runs far deeper than that, including how Rugby is introduced at school level and not just at the usual schools... But that's another debate for another thread I guess. :)

Matt Williams
    theboss80 wrote: »
    What does everybody read into the two benches? I honestly don't know enough about the Oz bench to comment, any info would be great.
    +1
    The only thing I can add is that O'Connor winger is called for the Irish game.
    He was left out for the Tri nations win against the All Blacks because he was being punished for missing (sleeping out) the Oz rugby RWC name announcements.
    Thing that worries me is that if they really needed him, they would have had him on the bench. Especially against the AB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Matt Williams
    Was reading a few threads on an ozzy forum there. They are very confident of beating us by at least 10-15, if not more. I honestly couldn't believe some of the comments but I suppose we have been poor over the last 12 months

Hopefully we can give them a big shock

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Australia will walk this prob by about 20 points.Ireland are no better than scotland or wales but there teams dont seem to be hyped up like ireland do im afrad to say:(

Matt Williams
    Horse_box wrote: »
    Was reading a few threads on an ozzy forum there. They are very confident of beating us by at least 10-15, if not more. I honestly couldn't believe some of the comments but I suppose we have been poor over the last 12 months

Well I hope you are right. Unfortunately though, I'll have to see it to believe it. I'd just love to know how we are going to turn our performance on a six pence and battle one of the best teams in the world.:confused:, and do well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Matt Williams
    hope Ireland do better than usa game but can see Aussies winning by 15-20 points

Maybe one aspect of the game we might have the edge in - our forwards on the bench will have more impact I feel in the final 20. Maybe too late by then tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Matt Williams

Link? Would be interesting to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Qwertyup64

Kayless wrote: »
    Well if they play the whole game like they did against Italy in the first half all bets are off, fingers crossed.

And if they play the whole game like they did in the second?

Australia
    O'Brien vs Pocock

O'Brien says
    I wouldn't say my role is strictly as a seven. If I get the chance to carry, I'll carry," he said. "I'll just go out there and play the way I usually do and hopefully that'll be enough. I've seen plenty of Pocock and he's a world-class player. He's in form and is a big threat.

"If the chance arises and I think it's the right decision I'll go in to compete with him. We'll have to combat them getting that quick ball and preventing them from getting on the front foot. You want to test yourself against the best and the Wallaby back row is perceived to be the best at the moment."

Cannot FUCKING wait to see this :D:D:D

If there isn't a hole in Pocock he'll make one we hope

Haha, good recon work Horse_box!

O'Brien vs Pocock

O'Brien says

Cannot FUCKING wait to see this :D:D:D

If there isn't a hole in Pocock he'll make one we hope

Interesting. I wonder how frank the guys are with game plan they discuss with the press tho...

Australia
    From Sydney Morning Herald
    Tomorrow's game against Ireland is not going to be a walk in the park. Even though the Wallabies have won two World Cups, those tournaments might not have ended in glory. In 1991, the team could have returned home after the quarter-finals. And 1999 included a tough pool game in Dublin. In 2003, although a loss came in the final, the game in Melbourne became the Brian O'Driscoll show. If you think the Wallabies will just turn up to Eden Park and win, you could be in for a rude shock. The winner of the game will most likely top the pool and be on the ''right'' side of the draw. The Wallabies will be approaching this game with renewed vigour and a will to compete with any team.
    For so long the Wallabies have had perceived trouble up front: the soft underbelly of the front row and the rest of the pack. An interesting comment I have heard from northern hemisphere journalists is that the Wallabies seem to find a scrum every four years, just in time for a World Cup.
    I don't think that is the case. I read that perhaps the referees have changed their view of the Wallabies' performance and they're getting a better rub of the green.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    You can look at the previous performances of the forwards and say they have done the work. They have muscled up, the technique has been refined and they have dominated scrums against some of the best in the world. Last week was no exception. Nothing is going to change this weekend. A solid scrum will allow the backs to run direct plays at the Irish defence. Trying to be a little bit too fancy early in the game could set them back.
    With James Horwill pushing hard in the scrum, it will be up to what I call the second captain, Will Genia, to control the tempo of the game; whether to keep it tight or let it sing.
    If I were in the back line I would be looking up saying, ''Where can I make inroads in this Irish defence?'' It looks tough. There are not too many gaps. In playing direct, though, you can attack the Irish centres.
    However, Gordon D'Arcy and O'Driscoll have played together many times and have worked out a pretty slick defensive line. The key will be to try to split the centres and to get them to work independently. This means maybe setting up midfield and having the forwards sweep around the corner, offering themselves to the ball player. It then becomes a question of going the same way or initiating a change of direction. This could be a set move or a piece of spontaneity.
    It may take something out of the ordinary to get things going, but there are no shortages in this department: Genia, Quade Cooper, and Kurtley Beale. No doubt Digby Ioane will be a big loss as he always gets over the advantage line. James O'Connor will play a part. He has learnt from his indiscretion and his willingness to get involved last week was evident. He needs to keep showing the same amount of enthusiasm.
    Enough about the Aussie boys. What is going to get thrown at them from the Irish? With an indifferent start against the US last weekend, I am sure coach Declan Kidney will focus them on putting on a performance that will say they deserve to be top of the pool. I was excited and amazed at how the Irish took apart the English in the last round of the Six Nations and thought, ''If these guys get it together they could be a real force in the RWC.''
    The key to that victory was the No.10, Jonathan Sexton. His ability to control the game through his passing and strategic kicking may stress the Wallabies. He will have help from his centres and the back three of Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe and Keith Earls, all great finishers.
    The biggest influence may come from the back row and the European player of the year, Sean O'Brien. He will start at openside breakaway after returning from injury. He will be up against possibly the best in the world in David Pocock. Momentum is with the Australians. That momentum needs to be improved to ensure victory against the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Australia
    cadaliac wrote: »
    +1
    The only thing I can add is that O'Connor winger is called for the Irish game.
    He was left out for the Tri nations win against the All Blacks because he was being punished for missing (sleeping out) the Oz rugby RWC name announcements.
    Thing that worries me is that if they really needed him, they would have had him on the bench. Especially against the AB's.

he went on the piss , so he was'nt going to get on the bench no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Matt Williams
    .ak wrote: »
    Maybe one aspect of the game we might have the edge in - our forwards on the bench will have more impact I feel in the final 20.

I agree. I think the dynamism and game-changing ability that Leamy and Ryan have could prove vital. :rolleyes:

Advertisement