Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Matt Williams
    I agree. I think the dynamism and game-changing ability that Leamy and Ryan have could prove vital. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Don't forget Court.

Cronin will contribute a lot in his 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I agree. I think the dynamism and game-changing ability that Leamy and Ryan have could prove vital. :rolleyes:

Ha, I was talking more about the front-row, Court and to lesser extent Cronin. Court will slot in nicely in the scrum if replaced, and Cronin - whilst far from the level required will want to impress and I feel if he doesn't force his game he'll take the ball forward... But yes, unless Best is injured or something is going terribly wrong he won't be brought on until the dying minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    Australia's replacements are quite a bit better than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

.ak wrote: »
    Ha, I was talking more about the front-row, Court and to lesser extent Cronin. Court will slot in nicely in the scrum if replaced, and Cronin - whilst far from the level required will want to impress and I feel if he doesn't force his game he'll take the ball forward... But yes, unless Best is injured or something is going terribly wrong he won't be brought on until the dying minutes.

Seriously though I think the Aussie bench is better. Simmons, Higginbotham and Burgess are all pretty good players and the latter two always seem to perform well when coming on in late in a match. Polata-nau, Slipper and Mitchell are all quality but haven't played a full professional game of rugby in several months. Dunno how they'd get on or if they'd even be used if it was in anyway close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mitchell is class and will take to it like a duck to water.. which may will be the case on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Reasons to be self-delusional.

1 Reddan and Sexton are our best half back combination.

2 Australia will be unprepared for the above factor as they've had so little time together in Irish jerseys.

3 SOB and Healys' return gives Ireland a much bigger ball carrying threat than we had against the USA.

4 SOB, Healy, Ferris and Heaslip should free POC from his ball carrying duties (as he claimed it they would before the tournament), hopefully freeing him to compete more at the ruck and possibly limit the Pocock influence.

5 Both scrum and line out look to be functioning well, we might edge them in these areas.

6 Em... maybe Cooper will have a terrible kicking game and Sexton will find his mojo again... maybe.

7 Err... ... maybe this time the backs will all start playing well suddenly for some reason.

8 Ummmm... maybe all the above will apply, while Australia have an off day, and we get some lucky bounces of the ball. It's possible (technically.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Australia
    .ak wrote: »
    Mitchell is class and will take to it like a duck to water.. which may will be the case on the day.

The fact that it's probably gonna be p*ssing outa the heavens might work in Ireland's favour, Australia havent played much rugby with a wet slippery ball and we are well used to it.

This is a massive game for all the players, time for them to prove they can kick it with the IRB's ranked top 3.
    It's games like this that younger guys like Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien can announce themselves as two of the best in the world in their positions. POC showing he can command a lineout as feared as Matfield's and BOD to throw his body on the line like he has done for us dozens of times before.

I hope Earls, Heaslip and D'Arcy repay the almost blind faith shown in them by Deccie, those 3 lads need a good game for their own confidences sake as well.

Ireland to win it, but by no more than a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

i'll be up bright and early listening to kurt mcquilkin commentating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Australia
    Australia have a far better bench than ours, Higginbotham arguably should be starting ahead of Rocky if going on form. Burgess is an excellent scrum half, Australia are lucky in that they have two of the best scrum halfs in the world. Burgess would walk into most international sides. Mitchell is a natural finisher, probably not close to full fitness but if given space he will hurt us. McCalman, Slipper, Polota-Nau and Simmons are all very good players. None of them would significantly weaken the Australian team if they were brought on.

The game is definitely winnable but it is going to take a monstrous effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Australia
    Pocock sat out today with a back strain. Didnt sound too serious. Would we prefer to see him play and see what the lads can do against the very best (pride and all that craic), or prefer him not too play and have a better chance of a win.

Personally, I hope he doesnt play. At all!
    http://www1.skysports.com/rugbyworldcup/story/12337/7179809

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Pocock a doubt apparently.

Missed the captains run today.

Dont want to wish ill on the guy but....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

simonmln wrote: »
    Pocock sat out today with a back strain. Didnt sound too serious. Would we prefer to see him play and see what the lads can do against the very best (pride and all that craic), or prefer him not too play and have a better chance of a win.

Personally, I hope he doesnt play. At all!
    http://www1.skysports.com/rugbyworldcup/story/12337/7179809

It would be an advantage alright but I think he will play and this is just a bit of mind games............

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Australia
    Thanos wrote: »
    It would be an advantage alright but I think he will play and this is just a bit of mind games............

yeah, was thinking that myself though if he is out our prospects just got a whole lot better, not to take away SOB I would just rather see him find a hole in McCalman instead

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Can't see him being out, but what a boost it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I losrt all hope after the France game in 2007. I expect a repeat of that encounter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Does anyone really think the Aussies can be arsed playing mind games with the likes of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

durkadurka wrote: »
    Does anyone really think the Aussies can be arsed playing mind games with the likes of us?

In a word Yes
    Ireland are still one of the higher ranked teams in the world and they would like nothing better to not just beat us but get the try bonus point against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Australia
    If he has any kind of injury, last person youd want to be playing?? SOB!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

durkadurka wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't be naive enough to think that the aussies would ever fear Ireland, however they would most definitely be mindful of the fact that we are going into this with nothing to lose. We've played sh!t for the last 18 months bar the odd game and haven't exactly set the world alight in our first WC game. The pressure is on them, as they are expected to beat us with ease, so they will be nervous enough going in so a few mind games might be the result of some nerves IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

anyone know what the weather is predicted to be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 KidMonT

Matt Williams
    Supposed to be raining isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Matt Williams
    Showers, according to a few weather sites I checked on google.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's supposed to be showery.

http://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/auckland

Ireland's last 4 games against the Aussies

2010: Australia won 22-15 in Brisbane
    2009: 20-20 draw in Dublin
    2008: Australia won 18-12 in Melbourne
    2006: Ireland won 21-6 in Dublin

On aggregate it's Oz 66 Ire 68!

On who has the stronger bench they only have Burgess as a half back sub. If they lose Genia and have to rely on Cooper to run the show they'll be in serious trouble. Burgess is no where near Genia's class. Everytime I've seen him he hasn't been great. Drew Mitchell if he gets game time will only have played 1 game since his injury. Whereas we have ROG who will be able to change the direction of the Irish game if needed and Trimble who is our form winger. Murray looks promising too. Other than Higginbottom I'd a thought that the Oz bench would be a step down from the first 15.

I think this is going to be a close one with Ireland winning. The Oz team while good has been inflated beyond belief. They also have a lot of young guys Cooper, Beale, JOC who are their main players. How are these guys going to cope with the pressure? There will be alot of Irish in the crowd and I'd say any neutrals will be behind us too.

Beale is their 10 cover
    as is James O'Connor

They wouldn't be worried whatsoever about having to use either of them.

A lot of focus being put on past results here. Those games are for the most part so far in the past as to being irrelevant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

True but it highlights the fact that Ireland Oz games tend to be close enough affairs. I personally don't think this Oz team is as good as it's made out to be. It is a good team but if this wasn't a World Cup year and had SA and NZ taken all their Tri Nations games more seriously they wouldn't have won it.

How many top class games have Beale and JOC played at 10? I know Beale filled in their for the Waratahs in the Super 15 playoff. Tomorrows game will be a different kettle of fish completely. If it buckets down and they lose Cooper they're going to struggle.

I can't figure out how anyone might think the Aus team are overrated.

Where? What positions? What combinations?
    I'm trying to figure out weaknesses beyond Quade-Cooper's tackling and bottle, and struggling with much past that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I can't figure out how anyone might think the Aus team are overrated.

Where? What positions? What combinations?
    I'm trying to figure out weaknesses beyond Quade-Cooper's tackling and bottle, and struggling with much past that!

the chinks i'd hope we can expose,

their centers are not world beaters
    Ashley Cooper hasnt played wing in a while
    Cooper can be rattled
    Lineout is no better than ours...but we dont seem to attack opposition throws much
    their scrum isnt better than ours.

its just unfortunate that the strong team we're putting out hasnt had a chance to gel properly due to ineptness of preseason selections.

Well the Aussies were the only team in the Tri Nations to play their first choice team in all their games. I do think if the World Cup wasn't on they wouldn't be Tri Nations champs so the title doesn't sit too well on their head for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Cooper at all to be honest. He is a bit of a show boater and has been hyped as the best out half in the world. Everytime he came up against Carter he was found wanting. He is very good at some things (has a great step, good hands, can throw an outrageous pass) but for the bread and butter stuff of being an outhalf e.g. kicking from hand, giving leadership to the team and putting a structure in place he is not international class. Genia is very good at these things though and is so important to Oz.

Now look at their centres. Both are solid enough, good tacklers, and can crash it up ok. In the history of top quality international centers they won't be in it though. Our guys while out of form are better.

Ashely cooper is a good solid player too but no more if you ask me.

In JOC, Beale, and their back row they do have quality though.

Their tight five, while never being a Ozzie strong point, can be exploited. If you remember the Tri Nations decider. at half time it was 20 -3. The Kiwis just picked and drived and kept it tight for the first part of the second half. It didn't take long to bring the scores to 20 all. Last week the Italians made a game of it for 50 or so mins by doing similar enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Australia
    Both Ireland and Australia have world class players but weaknesses in some areas.

The Irish pack has better ball carriers and a better scrum. Yes the Aussie scrum has improved but I fancy Mike Ross to cause some havoc. The Italian forwards gave them a battle last week and the Irish forwards are better than the Italians. Ireland also has a bigger range of attack moves than the Italians so that'll make it harder for the Aussies to defend.

I think we'll see a massive improvement in the Irish performance now. Just like they improved against England this old Irish team now know they have to give it their all. There'll be no holding back like in previous games and they'll have a play to stop the Aussies playing. If the weather turns really back it'll be a bonus.

The Irish team is full of big game players who are used to winning things and I think the Irish team won't take the boot off the Aussie throats this time if they've a chance of winning.

Advertisement