Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs Australia, Sat 17 Sep 9:30am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Matt Williams
    Let's not forget we need to beat up a tough Italian pack to finish top. And they have been knocking on the door.

This job isn't even half done.

True... but lets worry about that tomorrow not today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm so happy right now, absolutely amazing. The pack was outstanding, if Heaslip was playing like the Heaslip of old we'd be tearing teams apart. Hopefully Cullen, Wallace, McFadden and the likes can give Kidney a selection headache and take the Russians in style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Just an observation - we haven't had a player who could go the length of the pitch to score since Dennis Hickie. Is Simon Zebo that fast? Can't think of any other speed merchant in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

wooooooo get the **** in!!! delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Does anyone know a website where I can watch it?
    It is not on RTE player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SomeFool wrote: »
    True, imagine if the Ozzies didn't qualify from the pool :eek:

Australia will more than likely end up on 15 points. If we lose to Italy, most we'll end up on is 14. Italy would then end up on 14 in that scenario and we'd be out, I think. Only way Australia go out is if they lose to Russia or USA, or fail to get the bonus points in both games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Just an observation - we haven't had a player who could go the length of the pitch to score since Dennis Hickie. Is Simon Zebo that fast? Can't think of any other speed merchant in the wings.

Fionn Carr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

If you can't enjoy victories like this you've no business following the sport.

Be gone gutted feelings, if only for the here and now.

Yes, Master. It's not my business to point out a complete overreaction? Tears at this point is a little unnecessary. Nothing has been achieved yet, but it provides an impetus to build on it. It's a welcome upset in a pool match. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Australia
    Posting in historic thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

Australia
    Will the myth that Sean O'Brien can't play 7 be put to bed now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Matt Williams

Fionn Carr, Andrew Conway, maybe Craig Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Highlights here:
    http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/rugbytracker/match=10935/video.html

TG4 showing the full match at 1 o'clock I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Had Earls had the ball he'd have made it, Bowe had the pace but not the stamina, he's not a natural speedster that can effortlessy run at full tilt all day. Conway is the most promising player like that we have, Gilroys a flyer too but I think Conways that bit quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

Australia
    Superbus wrote: »
    Fionn Carr.

Andrew Conway is apparently the fastest Irish born player since the pro era (no records before that)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Didnt get in the door till 6 this morning, PROMISED myself I would be able to get up for the match... woke up with 32mins gone. I am not one to miss a rugby game and I have seen every single irish international live either in person or on tv for the last 10 odd years. GUTTED I didnt wake up in time. But, But, But.. caught the entire second half and I have to say... mesmeric stuff from Ireland. Australia TOTALLY outplayed in every part of the field. Ive been saying to my mates all week that the inexperience of youth was going to cost Australia this tournament but I never once thought Ireland could actually beat them today... im speechless right now and very emotional. I was in tears at the end of the Wales game in 09.. i never thought i could get THAT emotional again, never thought a rugby game could be even more engrossing and dramatic as that. I was wrong. People are going to come along and say "Oh its only a pool game" "Dont get carried away" "You have won nothing yet." Screw that, this is a monumental moment in the history of Irish rugby and while we have a lot to do and even beating Italy at this stage is not a foregone conclusion I am immensely proud of my country today and I am going to celebrate this for a long time.

Those 22 lads out there today embodied an Irish spirit, courage and sheer force of will that I thought had long left this country. Im only 23 years of age and its sad that I have to admit to having lost some faith in this nation but my god... I am a proud Irishman from the day I left my mother to the day I'll go into the ground for the reminder that this irish team just gave me. The reminder that we are capable of such feats of glory. Its beautiful to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

The Aussie wrote: »
    Why would the team winning need to start the rough stuff???
    although you will have to take a step back to the try line when the conversion is being taken, you should see a lot of that in the morning, till then.

Aussie Aussie Aussie.
    Men against a bunch of cowards.Guess who took the step back,ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Matt Williams
    Fantastic character shown by everyone, bench and all, not going to pick out any individuals. What a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Australia
    This is hilarious...

post from www.greenandgoldrugby.com. An Australian point of view from the scrum.
    I can honestly be passed off with this game. It was a ****ing joke. The irb née too start sacking refs. Aus had the dominant scrum ( just) the breakdown was a shambles. The start of re second half Bryce reffed the breakdown differently and in Ireland's favor. There should of been 2 yellow cards against the Irish. The first high tackle was blatant.

What a joke of a comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

To be fair it was in the 78th minute of an energy sucking game.
    du Maurier wrote: »
    Yes, Master. It's not my business to point out a complete overreaction? Tears at this point is a little unnecessary. Nothing has been achieved yet, but it provides an impetus to build on it. It's a welcome upset in a pool match. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

That you Hooky? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sexton couldnt keep up with Bowe, he was celebrating way too early, I supposed relieved that he knew no matter what Ireland had the game won.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Great Historic result for Ireland ,was a joy to see the Aussies get beat down under ...and on my birthday to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Australia

Tommy Bowe v Shane Williams 2009? Not full length of the pitch, but james o connor was on the other wing so it's not like it was Bowes lack of speed that didn't get him to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Australia
    I do agree Kearney was fairly lucky not to be binned for the tackle. Rest of the post is absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Great performance from nearly everyone today. I'll be slightly worried in the latter stages that BOD is carrying a knock. He's appears a step slower and was caught out of position once or twice. SOB can put in an beast of a performance too (as well as Healy,Ross, Best, sexton).
    Who would have thought that we would have kept Oz try-less before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Great result. Nothing better than beating those over-confident a**eholes. Need to beat Italy now obviously but I'm just so glad those smug tools were given a lesson in national pride, courage and heart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Australia
    Let's not forget we need to beat up a tough Italian pack to finish top. And they have been knocking on the door.

This job isn't even half done.

An Italian team that beat France earlier this year no less!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

Well done lads great start to the day!! i fcukin love bein IRISH!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Great performance from nearly everyone today. I'll be slightly worried in the latter stages that BOD is carrying a knock. He's appears a step slower and was caught out of position once or twice. SOB can put in an beast of a performance too (as well as Healy,Ross, Best, sexton).
    Who would have thought that we would have kept Oz try-less before the game?

BOD is a true warrior. Never giving up, constant tackling. He'd nearly need to be dead to come off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Australia
    Latchy wrote: »
    Great Historic result for Ireland ...and on my birthday to .

Happy Birthday mate... no better time to hit the town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Australia
    Samich wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe v Shane Williams 2009? Not full length of the pitch, but james o connor was on the other wing so it's not like it was Bowes lack of speed that didn't get him to the line.
    ye tis right..78th min i was getting tired watching him run.

Advertisement